Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I'm going to SoCal in two weeks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=251425)

Lazymeatball 05-13-2005 08:46 AM

I\'m going to SoCal in two weeks

So I'm going down to San Diego and Los Angeles with Daryn for the first week of June to visit my brother, see the Commerce, and then just hang around. I've got a motel for 3 nights in SD so now I need to look for a place in LA for 5 nights.

So far the schedule is wide open to suggestions, so I want to know where in LA I should hang around. I know we both like finding good places to eat, where good may or may not equate to expensive. The Commerce is a definite, but I'm not sure if there are any other cardrooms worth checking out. I'm not really interested in all that touristy Tours of the Stars homes crap, but I'd like to know if there's anything that is a must see while I'm in town. Are there any cool areas where I can eat out and go barhopping all within walking distance of a hotel, or is all of LA a sprawling freeway nightmare?

jason_t 05-13-2005 09:11 AM

Re: I\'m going to SoCal in two weeks

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any cool areas where I can eat out and go barhopping all within walking distance of a hotel

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite place in all of L.A. right now is the Santa Monica Promenade. It's within walking distance of food, bars, an outdoor mall, an indoor mall and the beach. There's street entertainment, a Farmers Market and a park.

[ QUOTE ]
or is all of LA a sprawling freeway nightmare?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

smudgex68 05-13-2005 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
an outdoor mall, an indoor mall, a Farmers Market and a park

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sounds cool.

Los Feliz Slim 05-13-2005 09:38 AM

While "cool areas" is without a doubt subjective, The Standard on Sunset might be a good choice for a hotel. There are lots of bars nearby. The downside, of course, would be all the cheesy wannabe's in trucker hats. At least the women are hot.

It doesn't get much more touristy than Universal Studios, but I get a kick out of the backlot tour. The other cliched thing that's worth doing is Graumann's Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame. These are both full of buses lousy with foreign tourists, but at least you can say you've done it.

Cardroom-wise, I also like Hollywood Park, which has regular, well-run tournaments; and the Hustler, I don't know why.

I'm sure all the other LA people will have plenty to add.

FishNChips 05-13-2005 01:21 PM

For SD you need to get down to the GasLamp district in downtown SD. LOTS of bars, lots of GREAT food. If you're a baseball fan the Pads new stadium is in downtown - you can eat/catchaballgame/wanderthegaslampdrinkingpickingupchicks.

If you want to play cards while your in SD Ocean's 11 is in Oceanside - its not worth going there to "check it out", its not huge or anything, but if you are wanting a card fix for a night its a decent card room.

Where is your motel? SD is a pretty big area.

Later,
FishNChips

Boris 05-13-2005 01:23 PM

I always thought Los Feliz was a cool place to hang.

jedi 05-13-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to play cards while your in SD Ocean's 11 is in Oceanside - its not worth going there to "check it out", its not huge or anything, but if you are wanting a card fix for a night its a decent card room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It's just a cardroom, no annoying slot machine and has a decent low limit selection. I think it runs up to 40/80. A few of us 2+2ers go there, though I haven't met anyone there yet.

Lazymeatball 05-13-2005 11:09 PM

The motel I booked is sort of north of the airport off of rt5, right next to Olde Towne Historic Park. I think I'm going to a Padres/Cubs game Friday night. I plan on hanging out downtown as well as checking out Pacific Beach.

I need some more LA people to weigh in. The Santa Monica Promenade sounds like something I would like. I need an area where I can just hangout and find stuff to do without having to plan ahead more than 6 hours at a time.

Los Feliz Slim 05-13-2005 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought Los Feliz was a cool place to hang.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it here, just can't imagine someone from out of town visiting Los Feliz as a destination. Maybe that's why I like it so much, it's not very "LA", as I see it.

shant 05-13-2005 11:36 PM

Sunset Blvd as mentioned earlier has lots of bars and clubs in walking distance of eachother but has expensive parking and somewhat douchey clientelle. Hot women though.

The Promenade is a definite good spot to hang out and walk around on a Friday or Saturday night there will be a lot of action.

Also, Main St. in Santa Monica a few blocks away from the Promenade has some cool bars and places to eat, and cheap parking. You can hop around to 4 or 5 good spots to drink and hangout, depending on the crowd you like.

Also, if you like shopping/looking at hot women you can make your way over here to Melrose Ave. and eat a Pink's hot dog and walk around on a weekend afternoon.

If you need any specific names of these bars/clubs, just ask.

daryn 05-14-2005 02:50 AM

bummmmmmmmp
bump bummmmmmmp

DeezNuts 05-14-2005 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love it here, just can't imagine someone from out of town visiting Los Feliz as a destination. Maybe that's why I like it so much, it's not very "LA", as I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Los Feliz is way cool and doesn't feel as LA as Sunset, etc, of which I'm not a big fan. Ate at Fred 62 for breakfast for the first time yesterday.

All the beach locales are pretty good destinations, like the Redondo pier and Santa Monica. The Grove is also a good place to chill and eat at the Farmer's Market there, but it's kind of a family and LA-ish outdoor mall. There is also Universal City-walk, but you have to pay for parking.

If you like bar hopping, go to Santa Monica/Venice on Main Street. Less pretentious than the Sunset area and they don't charge $15 for parking. If you get a chance, hit the Standard in downtown just for the view.

For food, always try to hit the ethnic centers. Koreatown for Korean food, Monterey Park for Chinese, etc.

DN

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-14-2005 04:59 PM

If you want to do some touristy stuff in San Diego and you like this kind of stuff, then Balboa Park is pretty cool and there's always the world famous San Diego Zoo. There's the Wild Animal Park, and then there's places like La Jolla Cove or Torrey Pines State Park. If you're a golfer, check out Torrey Pines. I doubt you'll get a tee time on TP South, but you can try anyway.

If you want to hit a bunch of bars and you're done with downtown/gaslamp, check out Pacific Beach.

Los Feliz Slim 05-14-2005 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Los Feliz is way cool and doesn't feel as LA as Sunset, etc, of which I'm not a big fan. Ate at Fred 62 for breakfast for the first time yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to make this a pro-Eastside hijack, but:

The Edendale Grill on Rowena, which I despise for dinner but has a very nice bar, does a good brunch. I also like the Coffee Table on Rowena for bfast. If you've never been to Pacific Dining Car on 6th near downtown go there very soon, they're open 24 hrs I think (or very late/early at least).

For dinner I've become obsessed with Nettie's in Silverlake, the food is amazing and the place is casual.

Guthrie 05-14-2005 08:32 PM

LA

Don't forget the Bike. No poker player's trip to LA would be complete without it. It's in the same general vicinity as the Commerce.

Everything in LA is spread out and the freeways are a nightmare. If you want walking distance from a hotel, there's Sunset, where the hotels are obscenely overpriced. If you don't like the Standard, try the Chateau Marmont, it's a legend.

I lived just a few blocks away from Universal Citywalk for years and rarely went there. I guess tourists like it. You can now get there by subway from Hollywood and save the parking, although I wouldn't park my car in Hollywood and leave it.

The Santa Monica Promenade is great, especially in the summer, at night, and on weekends. Chicks need sweaters, it's very cool near the beach in June. You'll find outdoor propane heaters at the restaurants at night.

Melrose in Hollywood is really funky. Jay Leno does a lot of his stupid people interviews there, along with Hollywood Boulevard and Citywalk.

Hollywood Boulevard is a scummy tourist trap. Although it's cleaned up dramatically in the last ten or twenty years, drug dealing in the open is rampant.

All the cardrooms will be a substantial drive from anywhere else in LA that you want to be. Rush hour lasts 20 hours a day, in all directions. Bulletproof glass is +EV.

There are thousands of great places to eat, although I never found any really good barbecue or, oddly enough, Mexican food. Be sure to get a hot dog at Pinks. Be prepared to wait in line on the sidewalk and don't be surprised at who's standing beside you.

Mel's Diner on Sunset. I used to take a lot of meetings there. So does everybody else. If you see a lot of black SUVs in the upper parking lot, then engage your celebrity radar. They were stalking Winona Ryder last time I was there.

Any of the expensive coffee places on the west side, especially Beverly Hills and Sunset, are great for girl watching. I'm talking grade A, prime, culled by experts.

If you want to get in an audience, just Google for whatever show you want. I think most of the sitcoms will be on hiatus in June, but you can find game shows, Leno, or any of the other talk shows. Tickets are free but you'll probably need to get them in advance.

Oh yeah. There's a beach.

DeezNuts 05-14-2005 08:57 PM

Re: LA

[ QUOTE ]
There are thousands of great places to eat, although I never found any really good barbecue or, oddly enough, Mexican food. Be sure to get a hot dog at Pinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been discussed before, but Pink's is DEFINITELY not worth the wait or the feeling of sickness afterwards. For Mexican food go to El Taurino or King Taco. Ask for the red sauce on the side(or you'll be sweating profusely). Greasy, but so delicious. I think I'll have to go to El Taurino(Hoover/Olympic) tonight.

You will have no better Korean BBQ in the US than in LA's Koreatown. Manna on Olympic is $16 all you can eat and a good value.

DN

SackUp 05-14-2005 09:14 PM

If you are in old town you might want to hit up the Historic area as they are destroying it all soon. Good mexican food in that joint and there is a place with 3 foot beers.

Downtown/Gaslap is cool as others have said.

If you like Comedy shows check out the Comedy Store in La jolla. There is also one in LA. It is a good time.

If you are in SD on a weekend we will be blowing up teh beach and getting mad wiffle ball games in most likely if you are interested. And you really should just be at the beach all day if you are there on a weekend.

Oh and there is also Sea World. It is kinda fun, but the best part is the beer school put on by budweiser.

Lazymeatball 05-15-2005 02:05 AM

Okay, this is starting to sound good. I'll probably want to check out the Comedy Store, and I know this Korean who can probably show me around Korea town, very convenient. If anyone wants to meet up at the Commerce June 7th through 10th or so PM me.

SackUp 05-15-2005 02:52 AM

Try this site for some other ideas in SD if you don't already have enough.

Sign on SD

Lazymeatball 05-15-2005 03:47 AM

Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive listing of bars, among other things on that site. I think I've pretty much got SD covered now. Next I need to figure out more stuff to do in LA.

daryn 05-15-2005 04:03 AM

i am very interested in this korean bbq

DeezNuts 05-15-2005 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am korean and can tell you what you want to know.

DN

Los Feliz Slim 05-15-2005 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been to any of the places on 6th? There's a new restaurant called Chilbomnyuk USA or something that's been packed since it opened.

DeezNuts 05-15-2005 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been to any of the places on 6th? There's a new restaurant called Chilbomnyuk USA or something that's been packed since it opened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard of this place, I will have to ask around about it.

I usually stick to a few places for BBQ. Manna for large groups($16 all you can eat of 4 different meats), Shik Do Rak on Olympic/Hoover for smaller groups but better quality meat and rice-paper wraps(very tasty), Dong Il Jang on 8th and Hobart for this BBQ steak cut(Roast Gui), where they make a awesome spicy fried rice at the end, and Shi Gol Sam Bap on Maplewood/Western for good meat and free ice cream at the end. The thin meat(cha-dol) dipped in the salt/pepper oil is the way to go at most of these places.

Manna may be the most white-friendly place, as korean restaurants are notoriously known for less than stellar service for their non-korean patrons. If you have one korean speaker, it will help abundantly and will often result in receiving extra side dishes on the house("service").

DN