Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Poker is a partial information game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=282895)

Jester999 06-29-2005 11:02 AM

Poker is a partial information game

I don't miss the lack of action on Pokerstars, but I do miss the clock on occassion. Primary villain in this hand seems very reasonable. The other guy in the hand is unknown. What say you?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (Full Ring, 7 handed) converter

UTG ($192)
MP1 ($238.4)
MP2 ($263.2)
Hero ($295.5)
Button ($203.55)
SB ($302.25)
BB ($127.82)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, Button calls $8, SB (poster) calls $7, BB calls $6, MP1 calls $6.

Flop: ($40) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, Button calls $30, SB calls $30, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($130) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $150</font>

Action's on you.

jkkkk 06-29-2005 11:06 AM

Re: Poker is a partial information game

Do these people call 3/4 pot bets with AK on the flop?

I probably push but I don't like it.

Edit: Actually, only if I'm relatively sure these two aren't idiots and are trying to push me off this pot.

salloch 06-29-2005 11:29 AM

Live, I call. Upon 10 minutes of reflection I fold. This is probably why I am struggling so much with NL. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-salloch

TheWorstPlayer 06-29-2005 11:31 AM

Weird, but I think I've gotta push.

Edit: I just noticed the double-gutbuster on the flop. Now I think it's closer. But I'm still probably pushing. I just can't see folding a set here without deeper stack.

Yeknom58 06-29-2005 11:32 AM

odd play for a big hand. I call and expect to see top pair with some redraw or 2 pair.

salloch 06-29-2005 11:45 AM

Those in favor of a call or push how do you discount these factors:

1. It is highly unlikely that SB is bluffing here (I would put it at %15 of the time max, reasonable?). So he either has a hand that beats hero, or 66.

2. Button is yet to act and was also likely on a draw, but a bigger set is also not out of the question.

3. Given 1 and 2 there's a good chance that the combination of villians hand's have you drawing dead. Is this really a time to push?

4. Just out of curiosity, if you push, what percent of the time do you think you come away with this pot?

5. What factors favor a push here?

-salloch

Ghazban 06-29-2005 11:48 AM

Crappy spot against an unknown. Its particularly crappy as there is a third person to act after you.

What does "reasonable" mean to you? Would he call a raise with 98s (flopping a double gutter, possibly a flush draw as well) out of the SB in this situation? How do you think he'd play something like AsKs?

In any case, his turn bet is almost certainly not a bluff due to the fact that he'd have to push two people out who have both shown interest in the pot so far and it is so large that I think he's protecting against something (probably puts somebody on spades and wants to charge for the draw).

A reasonable player could very likely be playing 98s (not spades) exactly like this. He's made his straight but made it on the less desireable end and doesn't want AA/KK/AQ or spades sticking around to outdraw him. If this is the case, I think he's resigned himself to losing his stack to AK if that's what you (as the preflop raiser) have.

In the moment, I probably push and lose (or suckout) but I think a fold is better. Hopefully, button will look him up for you and you'll get some information for future hands.

jkkkk 06-29-2005 11:51 AM

The only hand I'm truly scared of is AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a set of queens is unlikely.

TheWorstPlayer 06-29-2005 11:55 AM

This is exactly how I play the double gutter here. However, he could also have QJs or QTs. Or a very weirdly played flush draw himself, although I would put that at 5% probably. Also bluff at 5% probably. Maybe less.

salloch 06-29-2005 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only hand I'm truly scared of is AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], a set of queens is unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a set of jacks?