Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   An ADHOC Challenge (Sort of) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403630)

josh1122 12-22-2005 07:26 PM

An ADHOC Challenge (Sort of)

Two friends and I are attempting an ADHOC today. We won't be abiding by bisonbison's rules, but simply playing 24 hrs straight with 5 minute breaks every two hours. I will be playing 3 tables of 10/20 6max for as long as I can, and after that I will play 4-6 tables of .5/1 6max. Both friends will be playing four tables of 2/4 full. Once I move down I announce the traditional 2+2 table. We did this once before, and only one of us finished. We began at 2:10 PM Central.

I will update this thread if there is interest.

12-22-2005 07:49 PM

Re: An ADHOC Challenge (Sort of)

Ironman poker.

I'm too old.

POKhER 12-22-2005 08:15 PM

Tempting, Wont be able to untill around january 19th-20th though.

Depends what date you're setting. Im GMT so... dunno what time 2PM CMT is?

josh1122 12-22-2005 08:26 PM

You misread, I think. We are doing this now.

Beginning of hour 5 right now and I am feeling good and +50BB.

EDIT: I guess I did shift tenses in my OP, sorry for any confusion there.

POKhER 12-22-2005 08:38 PM

Ah yeah my bad, ah ill have to miss it then. When you said "I will update this thread if there is interest." i told myself you're arranging it and will do it if theres interest.

No worries lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pokergrader 12-22-2005 08:38 PM

Get yourself a cruise ship vacation by popping up more 10/20 tables.

josh1122 12-22-2005 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get yourself a cruise ship vacation by popping up more 10/20 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer playing 3 to focus more on reads, player tendancies, etc. I played more in the past but did not feel I was improving my game much.

josh1122 12-22-2005 10:05 PM

During hour 5 I swung down to even but now battled back to +60BB. Just ordered some pizza and I'm feeling almost as good as hour 1. I don't think my play has deteriorated at all.

josh1122 12-23-2005 12:55 AM

Hour 9
2689 hands
+11 BB

Well now I'm beginning to feel it. My bum hurts from sitting on this crappy fold out chair, my eyes are feeling weird, my basement is freezing, and I just keep swinging up and down without much progress. I sure don't mind the breakeven stretch, but a little incentive/motivation would be nice for this effort. Played in the 40k guaranteed and busted out just before the first break without trying my hardest.

This may be harder than I thought to make the whole 24hrs.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-23-2005 03:39 AM

Good luck man, now that I am single I should really attempt one of these.

josh1122 12-23-2005 04:22 AM

Halfway there.
3878 hands
-19BB

I'm getting used to the fatigue, and still playing the 10/20. Although I'm still not making much progress in terms of $$$, I still feel I'm playing a decent, B-ish game. One friend is still in a rut that he began the challenge at (about -100BB at 2/4) and the other is about +30BB and now playing 6 tables of 2/4. I have also decided to play 3/6 if I end up moving down as well.Having no bathroom in the basement really sucks, and makes for some quick urine runs.

I'm halfway done but its definately not downhill from here.

josh1122 12-23-2005 07:15 AM

Hour 15
4778 hands
+61BB

I've hit another level of fatigue. My head hurts from too much sugar/caffine and quite frankly I'm getting bored of playing.

The rest of the way is not going to be easy.

nokia1566 12-23-2005 07:25 AM

What were Bison's original rules for an ADHOC challenge?

POKhER 12-23-2005 08:04 AM

I feel your pain bro!

I couldn't handle more than 10 hours i reckon. I think i'd probably take a day off before one of these challenges so im hyped up to play.

Guess you've no bonuses to clear whilst doing this? PokerAlliance? no?

POKhER.
p.s. Take a ten minute break to walk around, you'll get pressure sores [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

josh1122 12-23-2005 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What were Bison's original rules for an ADHOC challenge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried searching for the thread but came up empty. The "rules" involved having a minimum hands/hour in order for the challenge to be considered complete. There may have been other stipulations but I can't remember them.

josh1122 12-23-2005 09:23 AM

Hour 17
5512 hands
+71 BB

I think I've really hit the wall. My eyes are getting harder and harder to focus and I fell sick from drinking an entire 2 liter of Hawiian Punch. The sun is now rising. I'm still playing 10/20 and think I am playing fine, it just takes me a few seconds longer to read the board/make the decision/see anything. These 10/20 6max games are good 24hrs a day. On my first ADHOC I quit after 14 hours and -250ish BB at 5/10 6max. I thought then I could have finished if I wasn't so frustrated but at this point I'm not so sure.

psyduck 12-23-2005 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hour 17
5512 hands
+71 BB

I think I've really hit the wall. My eyes are getting harder and harder to focus and I fell sick from drinking an entire 2 liter of Hawiian Punch. The sun is now rising. I'm still playing 10/20 and think I am playing fine, it just takes me a few seconds longer to read the board/make the decision/see anything. These 10/20 6max games are good 24hrs a day. On my first ADHOC I quit after 14 hours and -250ish BB at 5/10 6max. I thought then I could have finished if I wasn't so frustrated but at this point I'm not so sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

gogogo! you'll regret it later if you quit now and realize that you came so close.

josh1122 12-23-2005 12:17 PM

Hour 20
6328 Hands
+71BB

One of my friends crashed, but I'm going to finish this thing. I'm at the point of random dozing off. Each hour is getting progressively harder, and each is also going by slower and slower. I will likely update this next when I'm done at 2:10 PM central.

Nomad84 12-23-2005 02:57 PM

1:15 to go! You're insane. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

josh1122 12-23-2005 04:12 PM

Done. Sleep now. Update more later. Ship it.

dankhank 12-23-2005 04:26 PM

bison's adhoc

there is a link to bison's challenge if you want to read it when you wake up. obviously there was considerably more attention paid to his attempt, but i would say you're members in equal standing with him now, in the adhoc club.

xCEO 12-23-2005 08:17 PM

Congratz on your challenge Josh! Looking forward to your next update!

POKhER 12-23-2005 09:01 PM

Do you hate poker yet?
Did you get pressure sores [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]?
Did you make [censored] loads of cash?
Does your finger ache from clicking?

Errr, you up for another around January the 19th?
Prediction: No.

josh1122 12-23-2005 09:20 PM

Final Stats
7760 Hands
+49BB

The last few hours were the hardest by far. I dozed off numerous times, and was wholly unable to focus on the computer screen many times. As for results, around hour 22 I hit my peak of +120BB and about 20 minutes after that I got crushed to fall down to about where I ended. I was rather upset with this. I know heavy swings come with 6max but after battling for 22+ hours it just frustrated me to see a nice win get blown away. One friend crashed at about 9AM as I mentioned, and the other finished. He took quite a hit to his bankroll though, as he had just begun playing 2/4 and over the span of the challenge he lost some 150BB. He stuck it out, which I admire becuase I didn't handle a significant downswing very well the last time I did the challenge. The other friend puked and quit because he was feeling sick.

10/20 6max is a swingy game, and can be very frustrating. I am glad that I played it the whole time though. Not only did I get a large number of hands in, but I felt I was playing a sufficiently strong game over the entier 24 hour period. Only when I got hit for 100BB towards the end did I feel like I was playing substantially sub-par. This was definately a bit of tilt, but being dead tired and just fed up with the whole thing definately magnified it. I think I did well to control myself and finish it out though.

I don't think I will be doing this ever again, as now that I get up from a 5 hour nap I still feel just as crappy as at 2:10. By no means was this fun either. Sure there were some good times at the beginning but as it continued all I could think about was quitting and sleeping. I am glad to have this under my belt though, and wouldn't stop anyone else from doing it in the future.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...lengegraph.jpg

EDIT: Here's a graph. I'm not sure how to enlarge it nor do I feel like figuring it out.

HouseCalls 12-23-2005 09:28 PM

You Sir are The Man!!!
Congrats