Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Poker by the book....very passive preflop, why? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386774)

11-28-2005 01:04 PM

Poker by the book....very passive preflop, why?

Watching the WPT poker by the book show and it seemed these guys were really conservative preflop. Maybe it was the nature of the hands selected for TV, but there was a tremendous amount of limping preflop.

Are these guys so confident in their reading ability that they wanted to see the flops first?

jojobinks 11-28-2005 01:27 PM

Re: Poker by the book....very passive preflop, why?

maybe b/c of the stiff competetion? haven't seen this in some time. but i'd guess the more stacked the table is, the less players would want to gamble?

pipes 11-28-2005 02:15 PM

From what I remember, Sklansky was doing it often. I assumed he was following his advice from TPFAP and not turning good hands into 72o.

11-28-2005 03:21 PM

It wasn't the competition.

But if you made what looks like a stupid play (ie being aggressive with not much in a huge pot into a monster) how many books would you sell?
(or going out the first hand etc)

bluef0x 11-28-2005 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching the WPT poker by the book show and it seemed these guys were really conservative preflop. Maybe it was the nature of the hands selected for TV, but there was a tremendous amount of limping preflop.

Are these guys so confident in their reading ability that they wanted to see the flops first?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it, you are saying they are conservative but limping a lot? Did you mean conservative in their books but loose on the WPT?

man 11-28-2005 08:39 PM

I don't remember Sklansky limping at all. but I did miss a few hands. I did notice Phil completing/limping like twice in a row, which was really weird. I don't think we can really analyze the context of these hands though, because they only showed like ten in the entire episode.

cwsiggy 11-28-2005 09:34 PM

I thought it was stupid that Sklansky made some laydowns simply so he could get more TV time and in theory sell more books. He even said as much. So retarded.

12-07-2005 12:49 AM

WPT "Poker by the book"
5 handed

TJ Cloutier and David Sklansky both have around 250k

Antes 1k
SB 3k
BB 6k

DS UTG A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
DS Raises to 20k

Folds to TJ Cloutier in BB w A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
TJ Raises to 80k

DS folds ?!?

I guess the cameras can make anyone look dumb. TJ has a tight reputation, but hell it was 5-handed. Can you really put him on an AA or KK here? Anything else we are at worst 45/55 and possibly a lot better.

I guess maybe Sklansky got some more TV time out of it, but no way would it encourage me to buy a book. I'd be almost certain it is -EV to fold. Folding is - well I hate to say it - but weak-tight.

Daliman 12-07-2005 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WPT "Poker by the book"
5 handed

TJ Cloutier and David Sklansky both have around 250k

Antes 1k
SB 3k
BB 6k

DS UTG A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
DS Raises to 20k

Folds to TJ Cloutier in BB w A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
TJ Raises to 80k

DS folds ?!?

I guess the cameras can make anyone look dumb. TJ has a tight reputation, but hell it was 5-handed. Can you really put him on an AA or KK here? Anything else we are at worst 45/55 and possibly a lot better.

I guess maybe Sklansky got some more TV time out of it, but no way would it encourage me to buy a book. I'd be almost certain it is -EV to fold. Folding is - well I hate to say it - but weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This whole thing was gone over ad nauseum when it aired. Search it, you'll find compelling arguments.

12-07-2005 09:37 AM

Whoops,

I didn't realize it was a repeat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I did a search and didn't find anything - reading all the "Sklansky" posts was entertaining though. Does anybody have an aproximate original air date?