Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I've stopped stacking neatly (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=322746)

slavic 08-25-2005 03:15 PM

I\'ve stopped stacking neatly

Ok I've stopped stacking my chips in the standard 20's in geometric patters. I simply can count what I have way too easy, Now I just have large towers with no general order to them. It looks disheveled but I'm not concerend with were I am at any given time. It should not matter but I noticed it did to me.

Thoughts?

dicelumpY2005 08-25-2005 03:16 PM

Re: I\'ve stopped stacking neatly

You are talking limit poker, correct? A good dealer/floor will enforce the rule that they should be properly stacked in a no limit game...

Rick Nebiolo 08-25-2005 03:42 PM

One problem with disheveled chips is that if a tower gets knocked down into someone elses stack it's difficult to establish how many chips are yours.

The advantage might be that you don't look like a nit.

~ Rick

mmanne 08-25-2005 03:57 PM

I've been doing the same thing for the past year or so, and for the exact same reason. And, I play limit almost exclusively. I like it, it keeps me from thinking about my bankroll when I should be thinking about the right move.

matt

The Armchair 08-25-2005 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I've stopped stacking my chips in the standard 20's in geometric patters. I simply can count what I have way too easy, Now I just have large towers with no general order to them. It looks disheveled but I'm not concerend with were I am at any given time. It should not matter but I noticed it did to me.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

My card protector is a tiny (2") pewter tree. I also play 4/8 in AC, so we use reds and whites, even though I buy in for three racks of whites (usually to guffaws).

Because of the sheer number of chips, it's hard for me to make many piles, but I try to do so anyway. Inevitably, the number of chips I have goes down -- either I run a bit poorly and lose money, or I win pots with a lot of red chips in them.

Within an hour or so, I have about 6-10 stacks of random heights. I put the tree on top of a mid-sized one in the middle, and when someone asks, I say I'm making an island.

augie00 08-25-2005 04:15 PM

...but stacking the chips is the best part of playing live poker!!

slavic 08-25-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One problem with disheveled chips is that if a tower gets knocked down into someone elses stack it's difficult to establish how many chips are yours.

The advantage might be that you don't look like a nit.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarley go much above 30 high, and the grouping is still pretty tight. I just don't want to be able to glance and see how much I have.

slavic 08-25-2005 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are talking limit poker, correct? A good dealer/floor will enforce the rule that they should be properly stacked in a no limit game...

[/ QUOTE ]

In a no-limit,pot-limit game I agree, I also keep my largest denomination chips to the front. I am also constantly aware of how much I have and how much others have, plus I count the pot a little closer. (at certain points in limit it just no longer matters)

NL/PL stacks are important. In limit as long as I have around 20BB on the table it just doesn't matter.

Yarney 08-25-2005 04:58 PM

Believe it or not I've played no limit poker with all of my chips (white red and green) in one big heap, with no stacks. I was waiting for someone to say something to me but no one ever did. It was a very interesting experience.

-Yarney

flecks 08-25-2005 05:03 PM

"I put the tree on top of a mid-sized one in the middle, and when someone asks, I say I'm making an island."

And then quietly retreat to that happy place...