Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   OT: Help me plan my summer (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369141)

inyaface 10-31-2005 06:35 PM

OT: Help me plan my summer

I've pretty much decided that I want to play poker full time this summer (yes I realise it's October 31st and I have a LOOOOOONNNG way to go but I'm hating on school right now and I need to get my mind off this essay I'm trying to write). Anyways I basically want to move somewhere fun and with really good weather, preferably with lots of hot chicks and beaches. Obviously cost of living/travel costs are going to be an issue but I'll probably be making enough money that I won't need to live somewhere super cheap. I really don't know how long I would want to do this for. Actually I'm just starting to think about all my possible options. Also I want to start thinking about this sooner rather then later because I'm super lazy with things like this and I want to get at least an idea of what I want to do

P.S I do live in a sweet city which is even better in the summer (sans snow) so if I can't get my act together or decide that I don't want to go anywhere it's defiantly not the end of the world. I just feel this summer would be a great chance for me to travel considering I have very few commitments in my life besides school which will be done in the summer.

Hendricks433 10-31-2005 06:43 PM

Re: OT: Help me plan my summer

well if you want beaches, weather, and cost of living doesnt matter. Wouldnt SoCal be ideal?

playtitleist 10-31-2005 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well if you want beaches, weather, and cost of living doesnt matter. Wouldnt Pacific Beach be ideal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be precise!

MegaBet 10-31-2005 07:18 PM

I hope reality doesn't destroy the dreamworld that you have envisioned.

Shilly 10-31-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this so inconceivable?

Messy_Jesse 10-31-2005 07:44 PM

Did this happen to you?

MegaBet 10-31-2005 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this so inconceivable?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not necessarily inconceivable, but people have this romantic vision of playing poker for a living. It really isn't that glamorous, as the OP will find out.

inyaface 10-31-2005 09:00 PM

I really don't know what your problem is.
1. I'm not doing this for a living..I'm going back to school next year
2. As far as summer employment goes I can make a lot more money playing poker then any other job.
3. I work less house and have more freedom.
4. The whole point of travelling is so that it doesn't become a profession but rather an amazing way to spend my summer.
5. I play about 30-40 hours a month and make more then I did working 30-40 hour weeks at my summer job last year so I wouldn't worry about me to much

Now if you have any ideas about where a cool place to go would be I'm all ears.

rbear 10-31-2005 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't get my act together or decide that I don't want to go anywhere it's <font color="black">defiantly</font> not the end of the world.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="black"> </font>

[ QUOTE ]
Not <font color="black"> loosing </font> my bankroll at the 215s

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should focus a little bit more in English. In the professional world, you lose a lot of credibility if you can't spell, even with a degree.

inyaface 10-31-2005 10:43 PM

It's an internet forum dude. I don't bring my "A game English and spelling" to the table. I just like to discus poker (and non-poker) related issues.

That being said my spelling obviously sucks but I do make up for it by going over anything where spelling is of some importance i.e papers, exams or résumés so I wouldn’t say that I lose any credibility in the “professional world”. I just spend enough time spell checking essays that I really don’t feel like spell checking all my 2+2 posts.

On another note this ….
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should focus a little bit more in English. In the professional world, you lose a lot of credibility if you can't spell, even with a degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is not the most impeccably worded sentence. HOWEVER right now I really don’t care about spelling or how realistic some people think my goals for playing poker in the summer are. I just want to hear ideas about where cool places would be to vacation for a few months before I do some further extensive research on my own. So far I have SoCal which sounds sweet but expensive. I was looking more for something overseas but in general just looking for ideas.
PLEASSSSE

DAMN I forgot there is only one S in please. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

sahala 10-31-2005 10:52 PM

Sounds like a fun opportunity. If I were you I'd check out options in a few different sunny locations, maybe check out summer sublets on craigslist. There are a bunch of fun cities out there...just make sure you get a nice spot. I'd also recommend getting another friend or two to go with you. Having a buddy isn't such a bad idea anyway, both financially and socially (think...wingman). Bonus if the guy is a local and even more bonus if he knows hot chicks.

Once you figure out the plan, however, be sure to think about the opportunity cost. I know I spent my college summers working and interning. I made a little dough, but nothing to brag about, but the real benefit was that the experience kickstarted my career when I graduated from college. So I'm glad I put in my hours for corporate america. Not saying you're doing anything wrong. Just think about a few different options. I know 3-4 interns at my current company that are making bank (relatively speaking) from a paycheck, and making even more extra cash after-hours playing poker. Their hours aren't as crazy as us full-timers, so they get to live it up a bit more. It's nice being in college [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway good luck.

sahala 10-31-2005 10:56 PM

By the way if I were in your situation I'd check out Hawaii, Mexico, or southeast asia...something a little different anyway. Just need to make sure you get a solid internet connection.

I don't disagree with SoCal, however.

inyaface 10-31-2005 11:02 PM

Good post and thanks for the advice. This is the kind of stuff I want to start thinking about. I'm also considering an internship at home but I want to get the ball rolling on different idea's with plenty of time to think about it.
Hawai and Southeast Asia are two places that I have considered and would be unreal I think. Also I would want to go with someone else for sure (wingman etc)

mlagoo 10-31-2005 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post and thanks for the advice. This is the kind of stuff I want to start thinking about. I'm also considering an internship at home but I want to get the ball rolling on different idea's with plenty of time to think about it.
Hawai and Southeast Asia are two places that I have considered and would be unreal I think. Also I would want to go with someone else for sure (wingman etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

what i would do in your position is take a couple weeks during your winter break and seriously spend them applying to some "reaches" for internships for this summer.

also, do a bit of networking, and find out if friends of your parents, friends of former bosses, etc., "know" anyone who could hook you up with a high quality internship.

if nothing comes through, or if you just end up being offered a job that isn't right for you, don't take it. play poker and enjoy your summer. but if you find something that is right up your alley and may well give you some valuable connections and experience for your career, you should probably take advantage of it.

fwiw, i did this during/after my freshman year of college, got an internship for sen. paul sarbanes (d-md) and was absolutely thrilled with it. i got to spend the summer completely immersed in politics, which was something i was obsessed with. not only that, but it opened a lot of doors for me, and i credit it for eventually leading me to law school.

i'm going to do something similar this summer. gonna apply to a couple reaches for internships (a couple "power" firms in baltimore, annapolis and dc), and if i don't get them, spend half the summer working for the law firm i've been working for during the past few summers, and half the summer travelling around this old country of ours, playing poker.

so, good luck. college is the best time. keep enjoying it.

inyaface 10-31-2005 11:44 PM

I actually have talked to my parents and I was starting to look into an internship for a Canadian MP. Obviously it would be a cool job and open doors but I think the right travel experience would kick ass. I'm kind of like you in that politics is the only thing that's gotten through to me so far in University (besides booze and chicks). I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I defiantly have a real interest in it. Also I really wanted to go to Law school at a point but I just don't know if I would have the discipline for it. The other thing is I don’t think I would need to commit my summer to either poker/travelling or an internship. I could obviously combine the two which I might do. OHHH choices choices. At least I have a lot of time to figure it out.

10-31-2005 11:45 PM

Inya - not sure why you are getting all this hate. All you asked for is suggestions on a cool place to live for 3 months...
I don't really have any suggestions for you, but would like to add that I have had very similar thoughts recently. Making very high amounts of $, no responsibilities in the summer, and using this time of my life to travel and have fun during the summer. Just wanted to add my support. Keep up the good play, i've seen you at the tables. And if you find a good place to go, let me know!

Maulik 11-01-2005 01:55 AM

Thailand is relatively cheap. 'degen' is there and loving it.

'unarmed' is in hawaii and likes it, although this would be more expensive option.

choose a place you want to explore and go from there. alternatively, buy a laptop, backpack and travel europe.

Maulik 11-01-2005 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well if you want beaches, weather, and cost of living doesnt matter. Wouldnt SoCal be ideal?

[/ QUOTE ]

no there are many places much nicer than soCal. nonetheless, socal is nice place.

pergesu 11-01-2005 01:59 AM

I lived in Okinawa Japan for three years and loved it, thinking of spending next summer there. The places I'm considering for next summer are SoCal, Florida, Hawaii, Thailand, Okinawa, back to Italy, or kick it with some friends in Turkey.

Cool to be a military brat , I can pretty much go anywhere in the world and crash with friends for a while [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

inyaface 11-01-2005 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alternatively, buy a laptop, backpack and travel europe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest problem with this would be internet connections and housing. Also I would probably switch back to NL cash since it would be hard to 8 table. As for the actual travel and experience it would be amazing I'm sure. I've been wanting to travel Europe for a long time and I have a lot of friends that will be around. I guess the problem with making a choice is that there are way to many cool places to go.

rbear 11-01-2005 02:03 AM

Spell check won't find everything. IE. using DEFIANTLY when you mean DEFINITELY. You did this twice in this thread alone. Just think you should either apply yourself or quit wasting money on tuition.

mlagoo 11-01-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spell check won't find everything. IE. using DEFIANTLY when you mean DEFINITELY. You did this twice in this thread alone. Just think you should either apply yourself or quit wasting money on tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess if youre kidding, this is kind of funny

otherwise its just annoying, who cares, its an internet message board.

Maulik 11-01-2005 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest problem with this would be internet connections and housing. Also I would probably switch back to NL cash since it would be hard to 8 table. As for the actual travel and experience it would be amazing I'm sure. I've been wanting to travel Europe for a long time and I have a lot of friends that will be around. I guess the problem with making a choice is that there are way to many cool places to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll be scarificing hours for pleasure. don't lose sight this is vacation. i do not think you can expect to have desktop accompanying you on your travels.

Mr_J 11-01-2005 02:13 AM

Florida, costa rica, hawaii, SE asia and australia (sydney &amp; gold coast).

inyaface 11-01-2005 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I say I use MS spell check or that I spell check essays...if you prefer I can say I review them, correct them, take time to search the document for errors in spelling and grammar.

How could you possibly know if I apply myself? I play Varsity Hockey, maintain an above average GPA at one of the top Canadian Universities and play poker in my spare time. It sounds to me like I put at least some effort into a few of my endeavours. Really you know nothing about me yet decided to hate on me for mistyping a few words and because I don’t spell check (sorry review) something that 99% of the readers probably don’t care about. It’s not like I’m misusing words horrendously or that I “don’t apply myself” as you would put it.

If your really going to be a hater I might as well hate on you and ask what you were thinking when you wrote this gem.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should focus a little bit more in English

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying I’m taking English as a course and I should focus in class or I should focus in the actuallanguage? I really don’t know what you were trying to say here.
I can’t believe I even brought this up. I really don’t care about your sub par use of the English language so you shouldn’t care about my garbage spelling. Please get a life.

splashpot 11-01-2005 02:19 AM

I spent all of last year in Hong Kong. Not the tropical weather you're looking for, but an awesome city nonetheless. I'm biased since my family is originally from HK, but I think the food, nightlife, and culture are incredible. Cost of living is cheaper than here, and yet it's still a first world environment.

Thailand is also very cool. Dirt cheap, but third world country. Japan is awesome, but it's very expensive.

pergesu 11-01-2005 02:22 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hong Kong
I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Thailand
I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Japan

inyaface 11-01-2005 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll be scarificing hours for pleasure. don't lose sight this is vacation. i do not think you can expect to have desktop accompanying you on your travels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm maybe I'll bring 2 laptops! And you totally right about pleasure over hours. I just think being set up in one place would make everything a bit easier. Plus I always have the option to travel around Europe if I do get set up in one spot.
Man I have so much thinking to do. I really have no direction at all. Wait that's not true...I can go to anywhere in Europe, Southeast Asia, Australia, SoCal, Hawai and the list goes on. I'm glad I'm starting to think this out now

Edit: And now I have Hong Kong and Japan to add to the list.

Man I am so lost in all of this.

pergesu 11-01-2005 02:30 AM

Dude, Holland. My aunt will let you stay with her. There's so much [censored] to do there and the bitches are freeeeeaaaaaaaakkkkky

inyaface 11-01-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, Holland. My aunt will let you stay with her. There's so much [censored] to do there and the bitches are freeeeeaaaaaaaakkkkky

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm.....yeh I can't turn that down
Why wasn't it on your list?

mlagoo 11-01-2005 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i spent a week in amsterdam, and i think if i spent more i might have lost my mind.

it was a really cool place, i just had a hard time laying off the mind altering substances. freakin wild though. jesus.

Maulik 11-01-2005 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm maybe I'll bring 2 laptops! And you totally right about pleasure over hours. I just think being set up in one place would make everything a bit easier. Plus I always have the option to travel around Europe if I do get set up in one spot.
Man I have so much thinking to do. I really have no direction at all. Wait that's not true...I can go to anywhere in Europe, Southeast Asia, Australia, SoCal, Hawai and the list goes on. I'm glad I'm starting to think this out now

Edit: And now I have Hong Kong and Japan to add to the list.

Man I am so lost in all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever you decide, if you need somoeone to contact, PM me, my room mate backpacks.

inyaface 11-01-2005 02:38 AM

Hmm drugs + Poker account with lotsa money = me [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

pergesu 11-01-2005 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm.....yeh I can't turn that down
Why wasn't it on your list?

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically what mlagoo said. I can go up and visit for a few days to a week, but if I spent the summer it'd be Fear and Loathing in Amsterdam. Not sure I'd make it out alive.

rbear 11-01-2005 02:42 AM

It's just funny that someone so "dedicated" to school is such a retard.
[ QUOTE ]

maintain an above average GPA at one of the top Canadian Universities

[/ QUOTE ]
it really shows

[ QUOTE ]

It’s not like I’m misusing words horrendously

[/ QUOTE ]

I whole heartedly agree. Defiantly and definitely are very similar in meaning.

[ QUOTE ]

If your really going to be a hater I might as well hate on you and ask what you were thinking when you wrote this gem.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should focus a little bit more in English

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying I’m taking English as a course and I should focus in class or I should focus in the actuallanguage? I really don’t know what you were trying to say here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there exists such a class called English. I was encouraging you to pay more attention, if you want any sort of credibility in the professional world (your self stated aspiration). "On" would indicate English in general, whereas "in" indicates a class. Your inductive powers are astonishing. I am amazed by the keen intellectual prowess of an above average student at a top Canadian university.

inyaface 11-01-2005 02:48 AM

You are right...I agree...your much smarter and better looking then me. Have a nice day.

Thanks

rbear 11-01-2005 02:54 AM

*you're
it's a contraction, means you are
as in you're the smartest above average top canadian university student I have ever met.
Have a nice day.

splashpot 11-01-2005 02:57 AM

Dude. Way to top the a-hole list.

rbear 11-01-2005 03:09 AM

Actually, I was perusing over this and it was a pretty assholish thing to do. Offer my formal apologies bro. I had a horrible day, and I apologize for transferring some of it your way.

Kanchi 11-01-2005 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I spent all of last year in Hong Kong. Not the tropical weather you're looking for, but an awesome city nonetheless. I'm biased since my family is originally from HK, but I think the food, nightlife, and culture are incredible. Cost of living is cheaper than here, and yet it's still a first world environment.

Thailand is also very cool. Dirt cheap, but third world country. Japan is awesome, but it's very expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a month there this summer. I think I may have distant family there but I don't know them. I'm going back next year but for just a few weeks to see friends who are going back.

I planned my next year summer during this year's summer. I also went to Vietnam (also half Viet) and Tokyo. It was impossible to leave any place, I hope to spend most of my summer in Japan next year and visiting some friends in HK/Seoul/Taipei. I just don't like it here.