Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Unnecessary receipts (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394511)

Evan 12-08-2005 10:21 PM

Unnecessary receipts

Why do stores give you receipts for very small purchases? I assume it's required by some sort of law. It's pretty stupid though. I can't imagine ever needing documented proof that I bougth soap and hair gel at Duane Reade tonight. Of course it makes sense for big purchases, but the trivial ones (like <$20 maybe) really don't need receipts.

Is there any reason stores always give you receipts? They'd probably save a few bucks/year by not printing receipts for all purchases <$x and I think most of the customers would appreciate not having another scrap of paper to throw out.

asofel 12-08-2005 10:25 PM

Re: Unnecessary receipts

yeah but for all of us who could care less about that, you know there are people out there who will happily go back to the store for $1.50 because they bought the wrong _____ product...

Evan 12-08-2005 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah but for all of us who could care less about that, you know there are people out there who will happily go back to the store for $1.50 because they bought the wrong _____ product...

[/ QUOTE ]
Make them ask for a receipt. Or at least give me the option to not get one without that meaning that I leave it up to the cashier to throw out my scrap of paper.

tonypaladino 12-08-2005 10:35 PM

Security surveillance can see the receipt printing and the cashier giving it to the customer, ensuring the cashier is not stealing.

miajag81 12-08-2005 10:37 PM

"I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. Man, I'll just give you money, then you give me the doughnut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "'Don’t even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here. Oh wait, it's at home, in the file... under D... for doughnut'"

Evan 12-08-2005 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. Man, I'll just give you money, then you give me the doughnut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: "'Don’t even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here. Oh wait, it's at home, in the file... under D... for doughnut'"

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, I love Mitch Hedberg. I heard that joke like 2 years ago but I never felt compelled to abolish receipts til tonight. Not really sure why.

Evan 12-08-2005 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Security surveillance can see the receipt printing and the cashier giving it to the customer, ensuring the cashier is not stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldnt they just not put all the stuff the customer buys into the register anyway? Does this really stop them from stealing?

12-08-2005 10:54 PM

having worked retail when i was younger, i assure you, people will return anything. i've had to credit 54 cents back to someone's visa.

tonypaladino 12-08-2005 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldnt they just not put all the stuff the customer buys into the register anyway? Does this really stop them from stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, they could but at least this method at least ensure that a sale actually took place. There have been stores where a single employee stole tens of thousands of dollars just by rining "phanthom" sales and taking the excess cash out of the drawer by the end of the night.

I don't think this is the best plan, but for some stores it works. When I managed cashiers they could rip up the receipt and toss it if the customer didn't want it.

I actually inquired with our software people about the ability to print only on request for our coffe shop register to save paper (not because I give a [censored] about the environment, custom thermal paper is expensive), but it would have been too difficult.

jacki 12-08-2005 10:59 PM

I keep all my receipts because I pay for almost everything with my check card. I then use the receipts to balance my checking account.