Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   TPNK versus UTG+1 miniraiser (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404142)

betgo 12-23-2005 04:13 PM

TPNK versus UTG+1 miniraiser

$150 MTT on Paradise. Blinds 25/50. New to table. 2nd position with T1000 miniraises to 100. SB calls. I call in BB with Q8s and T2700.

Flop comes Q75 with a 2-flush. Checked to raiser, who bets 240 into 300 pot. SB folds. Checkraise allin or fold?

A_C_Slater 12-23-2005 04:20 PM

Re: TPNK versus UTG+1 miniraiser

You need a poll. I say check/raise all in.

bobbycharles 12-23-2005 04:31 PM

I'm suspicious of a min raise from early position. Soooo many people min raise Aces or Kings in early position. Top pair, weak kicker, back door flush draw, back door str8 draw - check raise...hmmm. I could make a strong case either way. Lack of reads, I probably fold as you're early in the tourney and you've only voluntarily invested $50.

betgo 12-23-2005 05:16 PM

I folded. I wondered if that was weak. I didn't like the 5/6 pot bet. A continuation bet or a larger bet would have made me more think he was trying to take it down.

I also figured an early position miniraise was probably not AK-AJ or 99-JJ, as people usually make real raises or limp with those hands. So I thought there was a possibility or Qxs, as well as QQ-AA.

JeanieJ 12-23-2005 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm suspicious of a min raise from early position. Soooo many people min raise Aces or Kings in early position

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you see this less at the higher buy in tournaments, but it DOES happen. A mini-raise UTG could mean any number of things according to the player and his type of play.

Though I agree with the fold Betgo.

12-23-2005 07:01 PM

If you were gonna fold to his continuation bet on a Q high flop, then why call preflop?

12-23-2005 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were gonna fold to his continuation bet on a Q high flop, then why call preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this...I know you're getting great pot odds here...but you're not getting enough odds to flop 2 pair, or a straight, or even 4 to a flush. This is about the best flop you can hope for with your hand. I imagine you were hoping to outplay your opponent post flop?? It's a good fold though, looks like trouble, and with only minimum investment, i would let this one go too.

woodguy 12-23-2005 07:19 PM

I think a c/r all in if I got to your spot, but I would usually lead for 3/4 pot here and shut down if raised, and get pissed off if called. I need a reason to fold TP here and a cont bet isn't enough reason, and leading out is usually cheaper.

The open minraise can mean anythinig from a small pp to AA so I really don't like trying to put someone on a narrow range here.

I c/r all in because it may get a call from a lower PP who puts you on a flush draw and it may keep me from making a mistake on a later street if a A,K, or flush card show up.

Regards,
Woodguy