Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Confusing Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287309)

webgator 07-06-2005 11:13 AM

Confusing Hand

No reads on the table and I've only been here for a few hands.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

I know my preflop and flop play are good, from there is where I am lost.

My thought was to re-raise the MP2's turn raise, but I was still worried about trip J's, yet still confused if he had trips why he didn't bet the flop. Same with the river.

car ramrod 07-06-2005 11:24 AM

Re: Confusing Hand

I would be more worried about the A on the turn then trip J's. If he had trips I would expect a turn check raise.
I think I would fold the turn, without a read I may call down, but I think a fold is best.

chaz64 07-06-2005 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was still worried about trip J's, yet still confused if he had trips why he didn't bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some players think it is fun to slowplay hands like trips - even when they shouldn't.

crownjules 07-06-2005 11:27 AM

Unless you know that MP2 likes to bluff scary cards, I would say his bet on the turn indicates he's holding an ace. You could raise him, but if he is indeed holding a weak ace, you'll probably scare him into calling down, fearing TPGK or trip jacks, and you'll lose an extra BB.

webgator 07-06-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be more worried about the A on the turn then trip J's.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I think I completely overlooked that. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

MrWookie47 07-06-2005 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be more worried about the A on the turn then trip J's. If he had trips I would expect a turn check raise.
I think I would fold the turn, without a read I may call down, but I think a fold is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably best.

Dave G. 07-06-2005 11:36 AM

I'd fold the turn against an unknown. You don't have much chance of improving if you are behind.

If any card other than the A falls and he donkbets like this, you should raise it. These sort of random bets seem to be popping up all over the place, and I've found that they don't necessarily represent any significant strength. But the A is a little bit too scary, so a fold is probably right.

If you have a read that he bluffs scare cards like this then call it down.

McGahee 07-06-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My thought was to re-raise the MP2's turn raise, but I was still worried about trip J's, yet still confused if he had trips why he didn't bet the flop. Same with the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 was also worried about trip J's. That's why he donkbet his A instead of C/R'ing.
Fold the turn.

imported_The Vibesman 07-06-2005 12:01 PM

I think if he had trips he could check the flop, but would probably try to check-raise the turn. Seems he caught an ace on the turn and went right at it. I don't mind calling down against an unknown who might be bluffing at the pot. If I know my opponent well and he won't bet anything but a made hand I will fold.

bozlax 07-06-2005 01:16 PM

This is a tough fold (and one I all too frequently fail to make), but against an unknown I think you have to pull the ripcord, here. At micro-limits, you're not going to find enough players pulling tricky bluffs to make this call worth it.