Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Poll: Your favorite / least favorite characters from the 2005 WSOP? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383364)

teddyFBI 11-22-2005 02:18 PM

Poll: Your favorite / least favorite characters from the 2005 WSOP?

Because I'm bored, I figured I'd post this poll. You may select 2 checkboxes for each of the questions below. I'm sure I left some memorably characters out, so feel free to bitch at my selections.

11-22-2005 03:11 PM

Re: Poll: Your favorite / least favorite characters from the 2005 WSOP?

that stillmann guy was hillarious. guess hes an a-hole but was funny with the bullets jersey.

Victor 11-22-2005 04:37 PM

Re: Poll: Your favorite / least favorite characters from the 2005 WSOP

who was the guy with aa vs. matusows kk? i hated him and sheikhan.

11-22-2005 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean when Mike hit a king on the flop and lost to runner runner flush, that's Lazar, who later tilted out. Is that who you meant?

11-22-2005 05:42 PM

Michael Kessler could be a good guy to include instead of the Elmo head guy. Kessler was another guy next door type.

That being said I can't stand Stillman and his antics. I would agree with Norman Chad about Stillman needing to learn table manners.

A_Junglen 11-22-2005 06:07 PM

Michael Kessler was like...the nicest guy I've ever seen on WSOP.

'Ya know what we do now? We go party like rockstars."

Always mentioning how much fun he was having, and asking others if they were having a blast...really awesome guy.

Plus his voice was BAD-ASS

4 High 11-22-2005 07:14 PM

I liked Black & Dannennmann the most, and found Williamson and Stillman the biggest morons of the year.

blufish 11-22-2005 07:20 PM

Don't know about the best, but THE worst was the dude who kept making out with the picture of his wife and kids... oh lord, how annoying! prolly a nice guy in the world, however.

el_grande 11-22-2005 07:24 PM

favs - Matasow and Raymer. No explanation there.

least favs - Williamson because she soaks up the spotlight forever to make horrible poker decisions, and Stillman because he's just a stupid ass.

el_grande 11-22-2005 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know about the best, but THE worst was the dude who kept making out with the picture of his wife and kids... oh lord, how annoying! prolly a nice guy in the world, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right! I may have hated that guy more than Stillman. Totally overreacts to everything and has such excessive guilt for spending the week in vegas that he has to kiss the pictures constantly.

UATrewqaz 11-22-2005 07:40 PM

I was forced to vote for Aaron "I push all in with K5 cuz I have top pair" Kanter.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-22-2005 07:47 PM

As your favorite, right?

11-22-2005 10:33 PM

Honorable mention: Tex Barch (favorite)

Victor 11-23-2005 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean when Mike hit a king on the flop and lost to runner runner flush, that's Lazar, who later tilted out. Is that who you meant?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea. he was absolutely obnoxious.

cunningham22 11-23-2005 01:59 AM

stillman is an embarassment to my borough...

did anyone else think williamsen misread her hand? the fact that she said something about aces out loud makes me think she may have thought she had kings...otherwise she has much more to worry about than aces. in any event, she acted like a moron.

whiskeytown 11-23-2005 02:19 AM

not nearly enough choices for the people I hate - 5 choices weren't enough - but I picked my top two and am glad to see my top two are the top 2 in the poll.

Surprised Tiffany Williamson is so high on the list....I mean, she's no pro, but I wouldn't say I HATE her - I'm sure I'd have a good time with her at the table or off it, but guys like the Sheik need a visit from Al Capone Jr. and his steel toed workboots.

I really liked Andrew Black - seems like the guy give 100% to everyone, no matter who it is - and what they take away from it is their own business. (Yes, I ripped that off from Chelsea Walls, but it's an appropriate description.)

RB

Publos Nemesis 11-23-2005 03:31 AM

ESPN did a great job of making fun of Tiffany. Essentially, every hand she is in, she either gets her money in way behind or she takes for ever to make an easy fold. I am sure she did not play as poorly as the coverage indicated, but based on what ESPN aired, I can see why so many people dislike her. I mean, she asked for Raymer's chipcount 5 times (incl. the times she asked for the dealer to count it, and the times she asked "exactly?").

Publos Nemesis 11-23-2005 03:35 AM

can someone who liked the sheik please explain why? at no point in the coverage did he act like a decent human being. i was rooting for the mouth to bust him every time mike got his money in behind (72o) even though mike is no gentleman. the sheik was so rude throughout the coverage especially in the hand where he had folded and he indicated his frustation at having done so given the flop, indicating that his folded hand got a good chunk of the board.

DarthIgnurnt 11-23-2005 03:52 AM

Raymer was my favorite. His run was amazing, and at no time did he lose any of the class that we all respect him for.

I also liked Tex Barch. His play seemed very solid (at least the small sample size we were privy to), and he also played with some class.

I seem to be in the minority here, but Dannenmann drove me crazy. I really didn't like this guy. The impression he gave calling his buddy bragging about "popping" Lederer 30K stuck with me.

However - no one (not even the Sheik) was even close to as annoying/infuriating/shoot-a-hole-in-my-television-ing as that f'ing fat bowling guy with the lisp.

benkahuna 11-23-2005 03:54 AM

The Sheik was annoyed by people that were annoying, a.k.a. Tiffany and Mike the Mouth.

Mike always starts conflict with people at the table. People often respond because they're, well, people.

I found nothing particularly bad about the Sheik except when he slammed the table. He took the event seriously and tried to play well.

DarthIgnurnt 11-23-2005 04:03 AM

I'm watching the final table again right now.

Imagine the reaction of Matusow, Hellmuth, or Fat Bowling Guy if:

King 5 pushed you all-in with a 4th raise on your 2 pair.

A7 pushed you all-in against your AQ and hit trips on the flop.

Tex Barch reacted as if he's actually played this game before.

Publos Nemesis 11-23-2005 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm watching the final table again right now.

Imagine the reaction of Matusow, Hellmuth, or Fat Bowling Guy if:

King 5 pushed you all-in with a 4th raise on your 2 pair.

A7 pushed you all-in against your AQ and hit trips on the flop.

Tex Barch reacted as if he's actually played this game before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone knew that Aaron was terrible. He played for his stack against Raymer with no pair or draw on the flop....

whiskeytown 11-23-2005 04:26 AM

that's a definate sign of an online player...

I've had hard time making judgement calls of stacks of chips and wished more then once I just had the number on the screen.

RB

Publos Nemesis 11-23-2005 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's a definate sign of an online player...

I've had hard time making judgement calls of stacks of chips and wished more then once I just had the number on the screen.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I have played a bit of live poker as well. In fact, b/c I play only NL poker, one of my biggest concerns is stack sizes. Therefore, before every hand starts I have have a pretty good idea of what the stack sizes are like. When it comes to making a decision, I am particularly aware of who I am playing against and whether it will influence my play.

For example, am I calling a raise from a short stack opponent? Will the short stack push on any flop? All of these concerns depend on being able to accurately count the stack sizes.

Even if it was difficult to count Raymer's stack size, the coverage from ESPN indicates that she ignored direct answers to her question as she repeated herself several times and was given the same answer several times in a row.

11-23-2005 10:50 AM

I don't see why everyone hated Williamson so much. She just didn't have a clue how to play poker, I mean she won her ticket in a £10 tourney in London. I don't think you can hate somebody just for not really knowing how to play. For her that was a big decision, KJ is a monster for such players, so I can't really criticise her for spending a bit of time making a decision.

Likewise with A Kanter. He wasn't a bad guy, just a bad poker player. Stillman wins the a hole competition by a mile in my books.

Andy Black was the coolest guy there, and an amazing player. I have a huge amount of respect for Raymer. I liked Hachem until the 'pass the sugar' incident.

11-23-2005 12:25 PM

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, it's not like we'll ever see Humpty-Dumpty, uh, I mean Stillman again.

UATrewqaz 11-23-2005 12:43 PM

"We need a deuuoosh! DeuuOOOOSH!"

Rduke55 11-23-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked Hachem until the 'pass the sugar' incident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he apologize right after he did this?

cold_cash 11-23-2005 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"We need a deuuooth! DeuuOOOOTH!"

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

four2flush 11-23-2005 01:22 PM

Who was the Elmo Head guy?

cognito20 11-23-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's right! I may have hated that guy more than Stillman. Totally overreacts to everything and has such excessive guilt for spending the week in vegas that he has to kiss the pictures constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just the nature of my marriage, but if I had been in his position with a chance to win $7.5 million, my wife not only wouldn't have minded me going to Vegas, she would have held the door open for me and fairly kicked my ass out of it whilst telling me not to come back unless I made it into the money. Even if she had the plague or something.

--Scott

Zetack 11-23-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just the nature of my marriage, but if I had been in his position with a chance to win $7.5 million, my wife not only wouldn't have minded me going to Vegas, she would have held the door open for me and fairly kicked my ass out of it whilst telling me not to come back unless I made it into the money. Even if she had the plague or something.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but at the time he left her lying in the hospital bed, he was just one of 5600 some odd jagg-offs with an infintesimal chance to win $7.5 million dollars.

--Zetack

ripdog 11-23-2005 05:26 PM

I had Raymer and Matusow as faves. I was praying for awful things to happen to Matusow last year and don't know what changed this time--maybe the cast of losers he was up against.

I had Shiekhan as my most hated. Just looking at him raised my blood pressure. I thought the bowler dude was completely classless, so he edged out the Tiffany Williamson(?) for most hated

jusander 11-23-2005 05:33 PM

I liked Matusow and Hachem. Not so favourites were that smelling piece of [cencored] and Tiffany Williamson.

Kessler was also very nice guy, very likeable.

young nut 11-23-2005 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I read this guy's blog from the WSOP. He is a nice guy it seems, and the whole reason he kept kissing the pictures is because they were the only thing giving him inspiration to stay there. Apparently the long hours were wearing on him A LOT, and he thought many times about just leaving to go home, mid tournament!

teddyFBI 11-23-2005 11:42 PM

I'll admit to being one of the 2% of people who voted for Stillman as one of my favorites. I intentionally didn't list any criteria in the poll instructions, because I figured everyone should have leeway to interpret "favorite" and "hate" how they wanted to.

"Favorite character" I took as referring to someone who made watching the WSOP on TV more entertaining, and I thought Stillman fit that bill personally. He may be disgusting, obnoxious, uneducated, and an all-around -EV human being, but no one can accuse him of being boring. I shure as hell enjoyed seeing footage of him, rather than a table full of "Lazars" or "Barch's", even while those two would eat Stillman's lunch poker-wise.

lwlee 11-26-2005 03:25 PM

I liked it when the Sheik looked like he was going to kick Matsuow's ass after Mike told him to shut the f**k up. Everyone remembers when Matsuow bullied Raymer last year with the small/big balls taunt. Good to see the bully get outbullied.

What exactly did Sheik do to make him seem like indecent human being? The episode with Tiffany, I think, got people pissed both ways. It looked like she deliberately wasted all her time with KJ just because the Sheik had showed some disdain earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
can someone who liked the sheik please explain why? at no point in the coverage did he act like a decent human being. i was rooting for the mouth to bust him every time mike got his money in behind (72o) even though mike is no gentleman. the sheik was so rude throughout the coverage especially in the hand where he had folded and he indicated his frustation at having done so given the flop, indicating that his folded hand got a good chunk of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

surfinillini 11-26-2005 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he was freakin hilarious...

Mouth: "Cmon Sheeky, it's all in good fun, I like you"

Sheikan: "Well I don't like you bro"

I mean, ESPN couldn't write funnier stuff.

utmt40 11-26-2005 07:45 PM

Players I liked most were Steve Danneman and Mike "The Mouth" Matusow.

Players I couldnt stand were Tiffany Williamson and Aaron "Luck Box" Kanter.