Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Brunson ? cross posted in SSNL (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335934)

pokerjoker 09-13-2005 02:10 PM

Brunson ? cross posted in SSNL

So I just finished rereading Super System, and it is making mroe and more sense. Here is a passage that doesn't make sense to me though. It seems like Doyle is being supersticious.

(Talking about small suited connectors)

"Normally I wouldnt want to get more than 5% (maybe 10%) of my money involved before the flop with this type of hand. If I get as much as 20% of my money in with that hand....I'd have to be rushing. I wouldn't do it unless I was on a streak."

-is there a logical basis to this or does the WSOP champ actually beleive he has better odds of hitting his hand if he won the last hand?

09-13-2005 02:45 PM

Re: Brunson ? cross posted in SSNL

The logic is if he has been hitting a lot of hands he will have a much easier time to bluff his opponents off of the flop if they both miss.

09-13-2005 02:54 PM

He's assuming that his streak or rush is enhancing his image at and command of the table, thus allowing him to run over his "intimidated" and now tight-weak opponents.

speirs 09-13-2005 04:29 PM

He's talking about his table image at that particular time when he is rushing.

09-13-2005 04:32 PM

d) All of the above.

speirs 09-13-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
d) All of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol yes indeed I didn't read that before I posted [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

spaminator101 09-13-2005 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
d) All of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaeser 09-13-2005 10:17 PM

Actually I don't think that's the only reason. Doyle has stated multiple times that he does believe in streaks. I believe his wording was something along the lines of "Scientists don't believe streaks exist, but I don't think one of those scientists makes more then 100 grand a year."

This does imply that he believes in streaks as more then just table image.

sketch 09-14-2005 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This does imply that he believes in streaks as more then just table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

... or that he's confused about believing in streaks rather than the effects of his table image.

09-14-2005 11:55 AM

The streaks are created by the player. Win a few pots in a row, you'll see that it becomes unbelievably easier to steal pots after a "streak" with rags in your hand because you've just shown the winning hand four times in a row, people begin to think you're "lucky" and that you actually do have the goods.