Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   10/25NL, QQvAA - Did I lose the minimum? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339566)

other1 09-18-2005 07:49 PM

10/25NL, QQvAA - Did I lose the minimum?

Playing 10/25NL @ Borgata this weekend. Somewhat shorthanded, maybe 7 at the time.

I have ~1900, BB has me well covered.

I find QQ in mid position. After a limper or 2 I raise to 75. Folds around to BB who makes it 400 to go. Folded to me and I call.

Flop comes a J high rainbow. BB bets 150 and I raise 500 on top. After much thought and debating outloud whether I flopped a set on him BB reraises me all in (about 800 more at this point). This puts me in the tank for a while.. Finally BB says 'I think you are drawing to 2 outs'. My response is 'Well I'm sure one of us is'. After another minute of thought I say 'I think its more likely to be me here' and muck my queens face up. BB is a gentleman and shows me his aces.

So, did I lose the minimum here? Did I miss an easy laydown preflop? I knew BB was rocksolid player. Should I have just smoothcalled the flop bet and hoped to catch a set later? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

queenhigh 09-18-2005 08:07 PM

Re: 10/25NL, QQvAA - Did I lose the minimum?

if he's rock solid, im probably folding preflop with only $1800 behind

his flop bet of $150 into an $800 pot is wierd, the jack probably spooked him. i'd probably just call and hope to see the river card for free and maybe get a cheap showdown.

xorbie 09-18-2005 08:08 PM

No, losing the minimum would have been folding preflop. Next time don't put the results in your thread title, sorta skews the responses.

Also raise way more PF the first time, and either fold or push to the reraise. Raising this flop is pretty bad IMO.

AZK 09-18-2005 08:09 PM

Yes, against rocko this is a good fold. I heard about this hand. I was there this weekend playing as well, maybe we played together? I was wearing a michigan shirts on both days...

Hattifnatt 09-18-2005 08:10 PM

Fold preflop.

other1 09-18-2005 08:15 PM

Lol. Guess I'm famous. Did you also hear about the hand at the same table where a guy called $8k with Q7 on a Q high flop? I might post about that one seperately..

I do vaguely remember seeing a guy in a michigan shirt. I was the guy using a small metal bird as a card protector.

AZK 09-18-2005 08:32 PM

Yeah, I heard about the 8k pot, that guy was awesome. I was sitting next to you earlier in the night before I went to dinner, we were playing short for a little bit...our game almost broke.

mikech 09-19-2005 05:23 AM

hey, i didn't know you were 2+2. a couple of corrections though: rocco wasn't the bb, he limp-reraised you, and he made a solid bet on the flop, i'm pretty sure it was 400. clearly the J spooked him slightly, but he'd never bet 150 into 800+. calling the limp-raise might be ok, because i've seen him do that with K2s before. but like i remarked to you right before this hand took place, i have rarely seen him put big money into the pot without the goods. since you didn't fold to his limp-raise, i think you need to fold to his flop bet, because you can't beat aces or kings obviously, and now you can't beat jacks either.

edit to add: do post the Q7 hand, that was truly amazing.

Chris Daddy Cool 09-19-2005 06:03 AM

with only 1900 behind i think this is a terrible preflop call.

i also think your flop raise is terrible too.

other1 09-19-2005 11:18 AM

Hahaha.. I should thrown out a 'sup bro. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Appearently AZK was in your seat before you and I didn't realize it. I couldn't remember if he was bb or limp-raised me, thanks for the correction. Before you got to the table I had already folded QQ preflop once (to a much bigger bet than 400). It would have been nearly impossible for me to fold to 400, I think my mistake was raising his flop bet. I should have just folded. Like you say, it's unlikely he is betting that flop without a set or an overpair, and unless his overpair is miraculously the other 2 queens, I can't beat him.