Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   AAAA is a good hand in PLO8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379500)

Oblivious 11-16-2005 07:15 AM

AAAA is a good hand in PLO8

The best anyone else can have is the 3rd nut low, and you still have a pair of aces with which to contend for the high. As long as the hand isnt too multiway, and youre willing to jam with it, it stands a chance to win half or scoop without a showdown. Fire away.

boscoboy 11-16-2005 08:18 AM

Re: AAAA is a good hand in PLO8

good luck - i play this way every time i get AAAA for a starting hand seems to work well for me

sample size = 0

11-16-2005 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AAAA is a good hand in PLO8

[/ QUOTE ]

Pocket deuces are also a good hand in hold 'em, as long as no one hits a pair of 3's or better.

What kind of post is this?

hachkc 11-16-2005 10:52 AM

I've played this before (see my avatar) and won but its only a great bluffing hand (pot PF and flop). If someone calls your flop pot bet, your probably in trouble. Your best hope is that the board has 2 or 3 low cards and you can buy it on the flop.

donger 11-16-2005 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best anyone else can have is the 3rd nut low, and you still have a pair of aces with which to contend for the high. As long as the hand isnt too multiway, and youre willing to jam with it, it stands a chance to win half or scoop without a showdown. Fire away.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very important to have a plan for this hand. I have done a lot of thinking away from the table about how to play AAAA; playing it correctly is key to winning in PLO8.

Sarcasm aside, this is really dumb. The money you DO pick up by jamming with this hand is trivial (usually the blinds) and if you do get enough action that you need to keep firing, you are probably chopping (no profit) or getting scooped (half your stack or more).

High risk, little reward.

Oblivious 11-17-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sarcasm aside, this is really dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ribbo 11-17-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was calling you dumb, and you are.

Dennisa 11-17-2005 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me about a quote in Ed Millers Book. If you were to misplay the times you have a royal flush vs something like cold calling qj off preflop, you are much better worrying about the qj off as it will occur a few times per session vs the royal flush once per year. How many times do you get AAAA in Omaha, its must be rarer than a royal in holdem.

Ribbo 11-17-2005 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me about a quote in Ed Millers Book. If you were to misplay the times you have a royal flush vs something like cold calling qj off preflop, you are much better worrying about the qj off as it will occur a few times per session vs the royal flush once per year. How many times do you get AAAA in Omaha, its must be rarer than a royal in holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which might even slightly be relevant if it wasn't for the fact that the correct play with AAAA preflop is to click the fold button. It's SO much easier to play when you use your brains.

11-17-2005 09:15 AM

No it isn't.

It's a good hand if you want to get scooped.

Oblivious 11-21-2005 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was calling you dumb, and you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's referring to me as "this"? I think he was calling the post dumb, not me. Since you obviously misinterpreted why I quoted him, he mentioned sarcasm, which is what I was using. When I play devils advocate and fish for interesting counter arguments it's pretty sad when all I get is "you're dumb."

11-21-2005 01:28 PM

Sounds good in theory, but in practice holding blocking cards (even if you hold all of them, as in this case) seems to get me into more trouble than it does lead to clever pot-steals. The problem with thinking AAAA is going to pick up a pot where there's a possible low is that most 23 hands are going to only be sticking around in the pot if they have some reasonable high (two pair, str, etc). It'll probably take multiple pot-sized bets to push a hand like that out of the pot, so you'll be risking quite a lot to win a mediocre sized pot. Might work a couple times, but when it doesn't you'll lose a stack.

But more generally (since AAAA will get dealt to you once every 6.5 million hands on average) relying on the blocking cards in your hand to reduce the chance your opponent can call is asking for trouble. Examples:

Omaha Hi/Lo Pot Limit ($5/$10)
Seat 5: Villain ($1799.85 in chips)
Seat 6: x ($468.60 in chips)
Seat 7: x ($828.25 in chips)
Seat 8: hero ($1735.65 in chips)
hero: posts small blind $5
SENDERDEEP: posts big blind $10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hero [6d Kd Ks 5c]
Villain: raises $25 to $35
x: folds
x: folds
hero: calls $30
SENDERDEEP: folds
*** FLOP *** [Qh Jc 3s]
hero: checks
Villain: bets $78
hero: calls $78
*** TURN *** [Qh Jc 3s] [Ts]
hero: bets $150
Villain: calls $150
*** RIVER *** [Qh Jc 3s Ts] [2d]
hero: bets $450
Villain: calls $450
*** SHOW DOWN ***
hero: shows [6d Kd Ks 5c] (HI: a pair of Kings)
Villain: shows [5s Qd Kc Qc] (HI: three of a kind, Queens) Villain collected $1434 from pot No low hand qualified

$400 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Seat 2: hero ( $449.20 )
Seat 4: FightinIrish ( $314.70 )
Seat 5: villain ( $217.60 )
villain posts small blind [$2].
hero posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ Td Qh Th Ts ]
FightinIrish folds.
villain raises [$6].
hero calls [$4].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, 9d, 8h ]
villain bets [$10].
hero raises [$45.20].
villain calls [$35.20].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
villain checks.
hero bets [$105.40].
villain calls [$105.40].
** Dealing River ** [ 9c ]
villain is all-In [$59]
hero folds.
villain does not show cards.
villain wins $375.20

11-21-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$400 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Seat 2: hero ( $449.20 )
Seat 4: FightinIrish ( $314.70 )
Seat 5: villain ( $217.60 )
villain posts small blind [$2].
hero posts big blind [$4].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ Td Qh Th Ts ]
FightinIrish folds.
villain raises [$6].
hero calls [$4].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, 9d, 8h ]
villain bets [$10].
hero raises [$45.20].
villain calls [$35.20].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
villain checks.
hero bets [$105.40].
villain calls [$105.40].
** Dealing River ** [ 9c ]
villain is all-In [$59]
hero folds.
villain does not show cards.
villain wins $375.20

[/ QUOTE ]

The force in this one is very weak.

Considered the case when the diamond draw or lower-end of straight draw busted then made a play when the board paired?

You thought villain had a set or overpair?

What did villain raise preflop with?

jedi 11-21-2005 02:08 PM

It's good if you have opponents who will fold, but I have oppoenents calling me down with anything.