Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Bush finally addresses Sheehan. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=326293)

PorscheNGuns 08-30-2005 09:50 PM

Bush finally addresses Sheehan.

...well, maybe not. I'm not sure where this is from, maybe from GWB, maybe not. It sounds like it could very well be from him (if he had better speech writers). For those who would dare not question the enduring wisdom of your ultra rich leaders like John Kerry, George Soros, Michael Moore, and Ted Kennedy, at least admit it is a very well written speech.

Dear Mrs. Sheehan,

You have asked me to identify the noble cause for which your son died. I have not answered you personally out of respect for the nobility of your son's sacrifice.

Being president forces me into the spotlight, but I would rather stand in the shadows of men like Casey Sheehan.

Directing national attention on my response to your protest creates a distraction from what matters. The focus of our attention, and our admiration, should rest on people like Casey Sheehan, who stand in the breach when evil threatens to break out and consume a helpless people.

The running story on the news networks should be the valiant efforts of our troops -- the merchants of mercy who export freedom and import honor. They trade their own lives for the sake of others.

As a result, we live in a nation where a woman can camp outside of the president's house and verbally attack the president for weeks on end without fear of prison, torture or death. And the number of nations where such protest is possible has multiplied thanks to the work of our military.

You ask for what noble cause your son died?

In a sense he died so that people like you, who passionately oppose government policies, can freely express that opposition. As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground. This land was bought with the blood of men like your son.

Now, 25 million Iraqis cry out to enjoy the life you take for granted. Most of them will never use their freedom to denigrate the sacrifice of those who paid for it. But once liberty is enshrined in law, they will be free to do so. And when the Iraqis finally escape their incarceration, hope will spread throughout that enslaved region of the world, eventually making us all safer and more free.

The key is in the lock of the prison door. Bold men risk everything to turn it.

Mrs. Sheehan, everyone dies. But few experience the bittersweet glory of death with a purpose -- death that sets people free and produces ripples of liberty hundreds of years into the future.

Casey Sheehan died that freedom might triumph over bondage, hope over despair, prosperity over misery. He died restoring justice and mercy. He lived and died to help to destroy the last stubborn vestiges of the Dark Ages.

To paraphrase President Lincoln, the world will little note nor long remember what you and I say here. But it can never forget what Casey Sheehan did during his brief turn on earth. If we are wise, we will take increased devotion to that cause for which he gave the last full measure of devotion.

Our brave warriors have blazed a trail. They have entrusted the completion of the task to those of us they left behind. Let's, you and I, resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.

Let's finish the work that they have thus far so nobly advanced.

Sincerely,
George W. Bush

DVaut1 08-30-2005 10:26 PM

Re: Bush finally addresses Sheehan.

[ QUOTE ]
...well, maybe not. I'm not sure where this is from, maybe from GWB, maybe not. It sounds like it could very well be from him (if he had better speech writers).

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Is it parlor game night at 2+2?

Either way, it just sounds like some armchair super-patriot non-sense that gets circulated at Free Republic.

I'm fairly certain Dan Bartlett and the rest of President Bush's communication team can (and do) produce better stuff than this silly tripe. So to answer your question, this letter is just dumb, and President Bush actually does have some very capable and highly-skilled speech-writers, so I'd be highly surprised to find out they crafted this gibberish.

Exsubmariner 08-30-2005 10:53 PM

Dvaut1,
I take you are ready to convert to Islam? Seems like you think any idea to the contrary is plainly held by those of inferior intelligence. You have me convinced Patriotism is plainly for the stupid. Let's roll over and appease any aggressor. If we play ball, maybe we won't get sent to the concentration camps for extermination. Maybe we can polish Osama's leather bound Koran instead.
X

DVaut1 08-30-2005 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dvaut1,
I take you are ready to convert to Islam? Seems like you think any idea to the contrary is plainly held by those of inferior intelligence. You have me convinced Patriotism is plainly for the stupid. Let's roll over and appease any aggressor. If we play ball, maybe we won't get sent to the concentration camps for extermination. Maybe we can polish Osama's leather bound Koran instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this silly, trolling, 'my posts are self-admittedly asinine' Exsubmariner, or is this you being serious?

I can't ever really tell the difference. Sorry.

Exsubmariner 08-30-2005 11:18 PM

I find it extremely sad when I hear people belittle patriotism. Of course, it is dead soldiers who have guaranteed your right to do so.

That was me attacking your patriotism. I think at the very least you should offer up some lame defense like "It's the highest act of patriotism to question authority." That whole I can't tell the difference from when you troll has been used before.

X

DVaut1 08-30-2005 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That whole I can't tell the difference from when you troll has been used before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but...I still can't tell.

08-31-2005 12:06 AM

Good response.....for a third grader. Common, youre better than this.

DVaut1 08-31-2005 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good response.....for a third grader. Common, youre better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know which response you're referring to; please elaborate.

Rearden 08-31-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dvaut1,
X

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats X... you've:

1- Brought in Islam in a discussion where it wasnt needed or mentioned with respect to the poster in question(should we start tossing around Jew as well?)... even if he hypothetically decided to convert for whatever reason your statement would be a futile personal attack at best.

2- "Let's roll over and appease any aggressor"...Iraq was the aggressor? (I can think of two cases where that was true; The Iraq-Iran war which we supported and Gulf War 1). By definition and even by the arguements of the Bush administration this was a pre-emptive (at best) or more simply a pro-active war.

3- "If we play ball" great analogy. I must say that your reasoning behind such a statement (linking Iraq to Islamic extremism which is incredibly shady at best [pre-war] and then suggesting mass extermination) is both convincing and well thought out. Saddam planned 9/11 (or executed any other terrorist operation recently against the US)? Wow... seems like liberals had myself and 99.9% of the World's intelligence community fooled.

4- "You have me convinced patriotism is plainly for the stupid" I dont think that was his intent nor do I really think he accomplished that for anyone. I do however think he intended to point out that A: This "memo" is extremely highly likely to be a fraud totally unrelated to actual Administration policy and that B: I agree it's a fairly poor read... not only will the Administration likely dance around this woman (since its a real no win situation for them) but if they did make a statement it would be far less confrontational ["Lets attack a war mother"] and make far fewer sweeping generalizations as attempting to wrap the issue in patriotism carries the risk of backlash. As for the Patriotism comment... you're making a sound play calling someone who disagrees with you un-American or anti-patriotic after all rational dissent is never an option.

5- "leather bound Koran" You really dont understand the dynamics of Islamic Fundamentalism do you? It's infinitely more about the politics and the economics... religion is just the packaging and transmission. Read "Imperial Hubris" or any other assesment that does more than say "they hate us for our freedom" (if that was the de facto truth Amsterdam would be toast right now with their laid back social policies).

As for the troll comment; Im not going to judge or read your previous material but I will say with full confidence that you added no substance to this arguement and only weakened the position of those that agree with you for the sake of tossing around trite "you hate america if you disagree" and "islam will take us over if we dont kill them all" insults.

Disclaimer: Before you get hissy. I am a republican. I am against (from what I know of his ideology..) the majority of Dvaut1's policies. But I'd rather see someone try to destroy him with statements of fact not asinine commentary Ann Coulter might shudder at; someone who could argue rather than uselessly rant.

DVaut1 08-31-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the troll comment; Im not going to judge or read your previous material but I will say with full confidence that you added no substance to this arguement and only weakened the position of those that agree with you for the sake of tossing around trite "you hate america if you disagree" and "islam will take us over if we dont kill them all" insults.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with the troll comment is that Exsubmariner fully admits that some of his posts are complete nonsense only meant to troll - but he only says so after the fact, leaving everyone else to just try and guess as to what his true intentions are when he posts.