Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Interesting deep stack live hand ...........(i think) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=178659)

riverboatking 01-17-2005 03:27 PM

Interesting deep stack live hand ...........(i think)

villian in this hand is a decent player who always buys in really deep and plays very straightfoward poker. he isn't particularly tricky, and while i have seen him make moves i don't think he is much of a "player". he is the type of guy who buys in for 7K and gets visably upset about losing $120.
he also thinks he is much better then he really is (but who doesn't?)

ok so on to the hand.

i have ~2.4K, villian has ~6.5K.

i limp in LP w/33 after one EP limper (who only has ~140), the CO limps and the villian raises to $65 on the button.
we all call.

four to the flop of K22 rainbow.
flop is checked around.

turn comes 3, still rainbow.
shortstacked EP goes all in for $65.
i raise to $265, CO folds, Villian re-raises to $565.

whats your plan for the rest of the hand?

thoughts and results to follow.

Kaz The Original 01-17-2005 03:30 PM

Re: Interesting deep stack live hand ...........(i think)

Does he often check a monster on the flop? Would he check AA here? QQ? AK? Is his button raise light?

Yeti 01-17-2005 03:30 PM

Call. Check call the river.

riverboatking 01-17-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he often check a monster on the flop? Would he check AA here? QQ? AK? Is his button raise light?

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't really raise that often preflop, and i haven't seen him get to creative in the past post-flop.
in other words i don't have too solid a line on his postflop play and not many of his hands get to showdown.
however i have seen a number of failed semi-bluffs on his part in the last couple of sessions, mostly because he refuses to fire more then one barrel at the pot.

also $55 raises are not very big in this game.

riverboatking 01-17-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. Check call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you call all in on the river?

PokerSlut 01-17-2005 03:38 PM

What are the blinds?

riverboatking 01-17-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

geeze...you guys need to know everything.

5-10.
sorry i'm a bit brain dead.

AZK 01-17-2005 03:51 PM

Nice.

If villian isn't a player, then his preflop raise isn't a speculative hand or a low pocket pair, right? That means it's a big pair or big overcards. Him checking the flop is pretty revealing, I think, the only hands that fit in those categories that he checks the flop with are KK (he's probably trying to find a way to get the money in and froze up) or a lower big PP like QQ - TT (because he is straight forward and afraid of the K). I don't think he checks this flop with AK or AA. He also wouldn't raise you on the turn with QQ - TT just to see if you have anything since it's a protected pot due to the short stack going all in, so basically I don't think he is making a move here and I'm actually kind of worried. Am I totally off?

That being said, I call his bet, and probably check/call a reasonably sized bet on the river. If he has the nuts he is not going to put in a huge river bet.

Yeti 01-17-2005 03:54 PM

Would I call down? Not sure really. I don't think it will get to that, but if it does, it depends on how I view my opponent.

Obviously(?), this play whiffs of KK. Only you can know if he's capable of playing it this way.

What's interesting is he's raised 3 limpers to a standard amount. You describe him as tight so it seems unlikely he has a deuce in his hand.

I'd call down if it's a reasonable price. If he's as ABC as you say I'd say theres no way he's pushing with KK on the river here, he seems more likely to make a smaller bet.

riverboatking 01-17-2005 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian isn't a player, then his preflop raise isn't a speculative hand or a low pocket pair, right? That means it's a big pair or big overcards. Him checking the flop is pretty revealing, I think, the only hands that fit in those categories that he checks the flop with are KK (he's probably trying to find a way to get the money in and froze up) or a lower big PP like QQ - TT (because he is straight forward and afraid of the K). I don't think he checks this flop with AK or AA. He also wouldn't raise you on the turn with QQ - TT just to see if you have anything since it's a protected pot due to the short stack going all in, so basically I don't think he is making a move here and I'm actually kind of worried. Am I totally off?

[/ QUOTE ]

you pretty much summed up my thinking.
i couldn't think of any hand he would check the flop with and then raise the turn besides KK.
however one aspect i failed to mention in my OP was that the shortstack all-in player, is an habitual bluffer.
that adds a wrinkle to the plot, as the villian may think i am trying to isolate the all-in, and therefore may be raising with a wider range of hands.
however it should be known that i have a pretty solid table image. while i mix up my play, and definately play a wide range of hands preflop, i generally get a lot of respect in my postflop play.