Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   20/40 river play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391714)

private joker 12-05-2005 09:27 AM

20/40 river play

Nice 20/40 game at Commerce.

Four limpers to me in the BB with black eights. I check my option.

Flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB, a loose but weak player, bets out. I raise, a LAGgish (but thinking) player in MP cold-calls, folded to SB who calls.

Turn is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet, MP and SB call.

River is 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB checks...

Is this a standard bet/fold? Am I better off checking to induce a bluff from MP's potential missed draw? Is a worse hand calling a bet here?

Solami17 12-05-2005 10:25 AM

Re: 20/40 river play

Since you are taking the innitiative with 2 others in the hand, a bet/fold here is probably best. The flush is there and the Q may have hit someone, but it depends on what hands you put the others on

gaming_mouse 12-05-2005 10:34 AM

joker,

LAGs like to bluff at scary, drawy boards. i think induced bluff >> value here. will LAG call with any pair?

Chris Daddy Cool 12-05-2005 10:50 AM

a LAGish thinking player will still realize that he has to bluff out two other opponents when he knows his hand will look like a missed draw to them, so i think his bluffing freqency is a little less than you you'd think.

there are still plenty of hands IMO that call this river bet, esp. SB with his 7.

12-05-2005 10:51 AM

I'd value bet it and cringe when someone flibs Q4 or Q8... I think the sb has either J5 or J7.... certainly fold to a raise

brettbrettr 12-05-2005 11:08 AM

edit: I misread it. I'd bet here. I'm not sure that MP would try to run a bluff on two guys, and SB will probably call with top pair. If they're both on draws, you weren't getting another bet anyway.

ErrantNight 12-05-2005 12:02 PM

he'll call with a 7

ErrantNight 12-05-2005 12:04 PM

not when it looks like they missed against 2 opponents

DeathDonkey 12-05-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a LAGish thinking player will still realize that he has to bluff out two other opponents when he knows his hand will look like a missed draw to them, so i think his bluffing freqency is a little less than you you'd think.

there are still plenty of hands IMO that call this river bet, esp. SB with his 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agreed, just using some simple assumptions, MP has to bet 50% of the time here to be worth as much as just betting yourself, letting him fold, and getting SB to pay off.

-DeathDonkey

onegymrat 12-05-2005 01:45 PM

Hi Joker,

It depends on the aggressiveness of your opponents. As a new player, I would definitely check/call, but I don't know how well you know the table. I would not want to bet/fold against an unknown and have the potential to get moved off the pot with a 7 (which MP sounds like), yet there are hands that beat you with the way the weak players play at Commerce (Q or 6). You should be very interested in seeing a showdown rather than being "clever" and bet/folding.