Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What kind of SUV should I get? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283172)

Sully 06-29-2005 06:39 PM

What kind of SUV should I get?

Some things you should know:

1. I actually use / need the 4-wheel drive a lot in the winters, as I spend a lot of time on snowy, remote back roads

2. I do not need / want the most pimp ride. I have put 250,000 miles on my '95 Isuzu Rodeo, and I never even really liked it. It doesn't even have a drink holder, for God's sake. All I care is that it has a decent stereo and can hold a *&^*&%$ cup of coffee.

3. I think that new vehicles are a complete waste of money, but would possibly consider one (long shot). However I am more likely to be interested in a '92 '93-ish model.

4. I am 34 years old, and don't know crap about the best way to get a good deal on a car....I have hated this process for so long, that I have only truly bought one car in my life.

5. I don't really need finance advice, although if you have a really strong case for leasing a vehicle versus buying, I would listen.

SomethingClever 06-29-2005 06:49 PM

Re: What kind of SUV should I get?

Get a Toyota 4-runner that's less than 10 years old and you should be good.

jakethebake 06-30-2005 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a Toyota 4-runner that's less than 10 years old and you should be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was still driving my `88 4 runner up until last year. It was great offroad, but is horrible for slick, wet or icy roads.

RunDownHouse 06-30-2005 09:00 AM

Get a 4Runner that's more than 10 years old, preferably pre-'93 (I think that was when they changed the body style). I drove my '85 into the ground (over 200k on the body), drive a '94 now, and my dad drives a '99. They're great, but the older ones look much better.

And if you have trouble on slick/icy roads, get new or better tires.

junkmail3 06-30-2005 09:15 AM

It's new, but the Highlander has a hybrid model, if you're doing stop and go driving, it gets about 30-35mph city 24highway (Those numbers look backwards, and they are).

Has more power/torque than the older models too.

benza13 06-30-2005 09:17 AM

Get a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I bought a '97 5 years ago, its up to 105k miles and no problems so far. My friend drove his '95 250k, including several trips from Mass to Colorado and back. After I got mine, a Laredo, my Mom went out and got a '99 Limited and loves hers as well. She doesn't go off-road or anything, but does use it a lot in the winter. They last forever and are great in everything, cheaper than the 4Runner everyone keeps recommending too.

ChoicestHops 06-30-2005 10:04 AM

Be careful with the Jeep's alot of them have problems, check JD Power or Edmunds. However if you find one with no problems I'd say that or a 4Runner as well.

jakethebake 06-30-2005 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you have trouble on slick/icy roads, get new or better tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had mine for over 10 years and drove with several sets of tires in all kinds of weather and terrain. The problem is if you drive both on- and off-road, you have to get those tires that really aren't very good for either one. But I'd argue even with good street tires, they're not really very good on-road. Still...*sigh*...I miss that truck.

OtisTheMarsupial 06-30-2005 10:53 AM

First choice: don't get an SUV.
Second choice: Ford Escape.

The Stranger 06-30-2005 11:20 AM

get one of these:

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic...res/m1move.jpg

The M1-Abrams