Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   AJs UTG, I made this mess.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398999)

FrogMouth 12-15-2005 01:51 PM

AJs UTG, I made this mess....

Stars 180 $20+2, just afer first break. Avg stack ~3800

I have been having problems with hands UTG lately, I see now that that re-raise is bad. Just moved to the table, so not much for reads. After 2 callers PF, I had the intetion of not doing anything crazy. That went out the window when I saw the min bet.

Compliments of PokerGeek
PokerStars NL Hold'em Tournament - 75/150 Blinds (8 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 2: UTG+1 (T3535)
Seat 3: MP (T3030)
Seat 4: LP (T5865)
Seat 5: CO (T5145)
Seat 6: Button (T3605)
Seat 7: Small blind (T2175)
Seat 8: Big blind (T2405)
Seat 9: UTG (Hero) (T4065)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero raises (450), <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, LP calls (450), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls (450), Small blind folds, Big blind folds

Flop: (T1575) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, LP bets (150), Button calls (150), Hero raises (1500), LP all-in (5415), Button all-in (3005), Hero ...

I know I got to call, Any advice is appreciated!

12-15-2005 02:08 PM

Re: AJs UTG, I made this mess....

well, everyone likes there hand so if you bet out like 1,000 there gonna go all-in and your gonna call anyway. You got 9 outs to the flush (hopefully) and 3 more for a pair of aces (these are prob dead) to triple up. I don't think there is much you can do to get away with this, especially with two people all-in. As for your play, I like leading the flop and then making an all-in reraise, then you put them to the test rather then the other way around.

kuro 12-15-2005 02:23 PM

Preflop: Limp preflop if your table is fairly passive. If it's agro just fold em. AJs just isn't worth a raise from ep.

Flop: With the way you played it, I'd just make a standard continuation bet and then make a decision based on pot odds of having 9 outs.

12-15-2005 02:32 PM

Well, you're right in that you should call.

The small bet often means the flop missed, but can also mean "I don't want anyone to fold".

BTW: If he had a set of Kings or AK, then a min bet was a terrible idea, as he's giving an almost free card to a flush draw (but you bailed him out).

FrogMouth 12-15-2005 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Limp preflop if your table is fairly passive. If it's agro just fold em. AJs just isn't worth a raise from ep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding seems so weak, but I really hate playing hands like AJ, KQs in EP. I knew I was in trouble when I raised PF.
The other thing is w/ 2 callers, any serious c-bet is committing me to the pot. Is anyone getting away from this hand post flop?

My real question is how do you handle AQo-KQs UTG? Is this your standard play with these hands in EP?

BTW: I wasn't getting anyone off their hands, KK, 55 and the turn and river brough Q's and im out.

12-15-2005 04:50 PM

I Limp UTG with AJs, same thing with KQs (or maybe fold), I would raise AQo.

If i'm raised after I limp, I call a min-raise or 2 more BB (as if I would have raised).

I think a CB would have been better because a) they could fold, b) if they call, you have 9 to 13 outs and they don't put you on the FD.

I would call the 150, not raise to 1500 (at that point you have to call the all-in). What a bad play by both players... min-bet with a set against 2 players and a FD on the board....