Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Switching to SNG's, need adjustment advice (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=350859)

GrandmaStabone 10-05-2005 07:15 AM

Switching to SNG\'s, need adjustment advice

I built my original bankroll playing sng's. At the time, I was a pretty weak player, but not completely brain dead which allowed me to grind out a decent bankroll playing 5-10's. As I discovered the forums and began reading up on poker I switched to limit hold'em and played that exclusively up until now. A few weeks ago I cashed out my entire bankroll to pay my tuition.

So now I am returning to poker with a short bankroll and have decided to go back to my roots, the sng's. I started with around $100, and have played 5+.50's for the four days until I had the bankroll for 10+1's (around $250). I am doing better now in tournament play than I ever have before. Playing over 100,000 hands of limit hold'em has really improved my hand reading skills, board reading skills, numchuck skills, knowledge of pot odds, etc.

I have a couple of specific questions:

1.) What do you guys think of my 20 buy-in bankroll? I plan on sticking to the 20 buy-in rule until I get to the 30's, and then increase it to 40-50. I have read HOH 1 and 2, TPFAP, TOP, etc. I (humbly) consider myself a pretty decent hold'em player at this point so I feel like this bankroll is fine.

2.)Right now I am playing on FT, and the concensus is that the players there are stronger than average, which is a trend I have noticed myself. If I am going to play a high volume of SNG's, what sites do you guys recommend? I do not like the 800 starting stacks at party, so i was considering Pokerstars(?), hows the sng action there?

3.) other than that, I am requesting any other advice you guys can give, maybe link some helpful/insightful threads (I am new to this forum), recommend some software, endow me with some words of wisdom, etc.

Thanks,

GS

bones 10-05-2005 07:20 AM

Re: Switching to SNG\'s, need adjustment advice

[ QUOTE ]
1.) What do you guys think of my 20 buy-in bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ] Not enough.

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on sticking to the 20 buy-in rule until I get to the 30's, and then increase it to 40-50.

[/ QUOTE ] Still not enough.

Assuming that you don't want to/can't replenish your BR, I'd suggest 50 for 22s or lower, and 75-100 for other levels. You'll find it much easier to deal with the swings.

Nicholasp27 10-05-2005 09:59 AM

you'll go broke if you play with only 20-buyins
can u easily replenish your br?

party poker = more $/hour

u have rakeback, right?

nthn2fancy 10-05-2005 10:11 AM

saying that he will go broke at the 22s with 20 buyins is a joke.

Nicholasp27 10-05-2005 10:15 AM

u will go broke at any level if you only keep 20 buyins in your bankroll

u've never had a 20-buyin downswing? if u haven't, u either haven't played many sngs or you don't keep accurate records

USCSigma1097 10-05-2005 10:15 AM

No, it's not...

Even if he is a winning player, the ROR with 20 buyins is statistically significant.

Sigma

lorinda 10-05-2005 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he loses 12 or 13, the dry cleaning bill alone will finish off the rest of the bankroll.

Lori

Dr_Jeckyl_00 10-05-2005 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he loses 12 or 13, the dry cleaning bill alone will finish off the rest of the bankroll.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!

jb9 10-05-2005 11:10 AM

It's a little old, but I find the links from this thread to be helpful. There are also some good links in the FAQ.

I think whether or not your bankroll is OK for you depends on how willing you are to drop down to lower levels if you go on a bad run. I confess that this opinion is not supported by detailed statistical analysis.

Good luck.

GrandmaStabone 10-05-2005 05:32 PM

1.) My BR is reloadable, although I do not plan on having to go that route. I know 20 buy-ins is a little on the low side, but I still feel like it is sufficient for the lowest levels. I was always under the impression that 20 buy-ins was the minimum for a winning player. Just like 300 BB's is the minimum in limit, but if anyone asks people will recommend 500-1000. Is that the case here, or is 20 buy-ins so low that I have a high probability of busting it regardless of performance. The downswings should not be a problem (psychologically) for me considering my limit hold'em experience.

2.) Thanks for the link! That is a goldmine

3.) Any word on the quality of games/pros and cons at Pokerstars, Full Tilt, Party, UB, Bodog, etc.?