Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   PP 30, Random Turn Checkraises (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345665)

DpR 09-27-2005 06:50 PM

PP 30, Random Turn Checkraises

I do not really get this play, but a lot of reasonable opponenets make this play against me all the time. To me it just seems like spewing on their part.

I have AJs UTG+1 and raise. All fold to the BB (20/10/1.4)who calls. Flop is Q,10,4, check, bet, he calls. Turn is Q, check, bet, he check raises, I call. River is a brinck he bets and I call. He shows A9o and MHIG.

To me it seemed very likely he had no hand on the turn. I can't really think of any hand I play as the villian did here so I am wondering if any posters here like to make the type of cr's villian did here (and do you think they are successful for you).

Lestat 09-27-2005 06:59 PM

Re: PP 30, Random Turn Checkraises

If I were BB, I'd be more inclined to c/r if the ten paired.

To answer your question, no. I will find certain spots to semi-bluff c/r the turn online, but this wasn't even a good semi-bluff and I agree. It's chip spewing. Gotta love it though.

Nightwish 09-27-2005 07:18 PM

He's counting on the fact that you cannot call down with A high every time because he'll frequently have some sort of pair here (a T being most likely). But I agree that this is a pretty bad check-raise on his part.

DpR 09-27-2005 07:19 PM

Yeah, I Agree the Q was a terrible card to SB on.

When I do want to SB in these HU scenarios though my action almost never goes check call then check raise. Mostly becasue I very rarely play a legit hand this way. If I have a hand that 1 card can improve enough to allow a check raise I am usually putting some pressure on the flop. Also, I am frequently leading the turn.

There have been a couple times that opponents have played a Q like that against me, but it is pretty rare and I found it rather tricky at the time (since I called down light).

I guess I just do not really ever outright bluff (always semi) so these plays make me scratch my head.

DpR 09-27-2005 07:21 PM

Isnt a 10 making some noise on the flop?

Nightwish 09-27-2005 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

DpR 09-27-2005 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he thinks he has the best hand and doesnt want to give free cards.

geormiet 09-27-2005 08:17 PM

Just because you would play it this way, or that it is the correct way, does not mean it is the way most opponents will play a T.

Nightwish 09-27-2005 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because he thinks he has the best hand and doesnt want to give free cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
What free cards? Are you saying he should be worried that the guy who 3-bet preflop will check behind on the flop?

DpR 09-27-2005 09:13 PM

No, I would check raise the flop if I were him with a 10.