Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Looking For A Free Way To Surf Newsgroups (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382312)

IggyWH 11-20-2005 10:15 PM

Looking For A Free Way To Surf Newsgroups

Can someone point me to somewhere I can surf newsgroups for free? I remember they used to be kickass back when I first got the internet around '95 but it's been many years since I last checked some out.

Also, does anyone know of any good newsgroups to check out?

jason_t 11-20-2005 10:17 PM

Re: Looking For A Free Way To Surf Newsgroups

They're not free anymore? Are you a university student?

gumpzilla 11-20-2005 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're not free anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems impossible; maybe it's just that his ISP doesn't offer news service, and so he doesn't have a server to log into. I'm pretty ignorant about such things, so grain of salt, etc.

IggyWH 11-20-2005 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I went looking a couple months ago, I only came up with pay services that would clean up the junk and just leave the substance.

No, I'm not a university student.

jason_t 11-20-2005 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I went looking a couple months ago, I only came up with pay services that would clean up the junk and just leave the substance.

No, I'm not a university student.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would first try groups.google.com. If that doesn't work (you might need a gmail account) or you want to be able to download the posts for offline reading I would check with your Internet provider to see if they have a server. As gumpzilla said, it seems unfathomable that they are not free anymore.

If you were a university student I'm 100% certain that you could access them freely.

radek2166 11-20-2005 10:30 PM

have not used this in a while

try

www.freeagent.com

was great for newsgroups when I used it

gumpzilla 11-20-2005 10:31 PM

Free Agent is an excellent newsreader, but unless they've started providing services that I'm not aware of, not a goto place for binary newsgroups (which is what I assume the original poster was after.) groups.google.com will work well for most text newsgroups, as jason_t suggested.

edtost 11-20-2005 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were a university student I'm 100% certain that you could access them freely.

[/ QUOTE ]

my school did away with their usenet server at some point between when our computer help files were written and when i matriculated.

jason_t 11-20-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my school did away with their usenet server at some point between when our computer help files were written and when i matriculated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unreal. Information wants to be free!