Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   i thought i played this great (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=68811)

mike l. 02-20-2004 05:07 PM

i thought i played this great

20-40 good live game. i had Th8h in the cutoff. some fool limped, decent player raised, i cold called, button freak called, big blind called.

the flop was Tc7c2h. checked to raiser who bets, i raise, button calls, rest fold, raiser hesitates, an honest hesitation my spidey senses tell me, and calls.

the turn is Kh. raiser bets. im thinking 70% AK, 30% AQh or AJh or some other hand i beat like 99 or something. ive played with him a lot so this seems like a fair estimate. i raise based on this, button folds and now raiser reraises. now im putting my read on something like 90/10. he's tricky/skilled enough to come over the top with less, but basically his betting pattern now says AK (but a set is unlikely because he would reraise the flop w/ KK and TT). i make it 4 bets. i figure i want to see a showdown for free because of that small chance he's getting tricky, and he has to fear two pair or a set by me if i reraise. plus i figure to have 14 outs if he has the AK he most likely has. plus i know that while he's gutsy he doesnt have the balls to 5 bet me with AK or to stop and go bet me on the river.

anyways a T came off on the river and he called me. but i like my play even when river is 2c check, check and he shows his AK and i muck.

Gabe 02-20-2004 05:35 PM

I agree n/m

Ulysses 02-20-2004 05:39 PM

i thought you played this terribly

[ QUOTE ]
20-40 good live game. i had Th8h in the cutoff. some fool limped, decent player raised, i cold called, button freak called, big blind called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent player raises, you have a button who likes to call behind you, and you decide to play T8s? Why? Clarky might make fun of me, but this is an easy muck for me.

[ QUOTE ]
the flop was Tc7c2h. checked to raiser who bets, i raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine.

[ QUOTE ]
the turn is Kh. raiser bets. im thinking 70% AK

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he is likely to have AK and likely to 3-bet you with it. So you raise? You have a ton of outs. Call.

[ QUOTE ]
now im putting my read on something like 90/10. he's tricky/skilled enough to come over the top with less, but basically his betting pattern now says AK (but a set is unlikely because he would reraise the flop w/ KK and TT).

[/ QUOTE ]

He's tricky enough to 3-bet you on the turn w/ less than TPTK here, but he's so straightforward that he would definitely 3-bet KK or TT on the flop? That doesn't seem like a good read. You made your move, he fired back. Once again, I'd just call.

[ QUOTE ]
i make it 4 bets. i figure i want to see a showdown for free because of that small chance he's getting tricky

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when is 4 bets free?

Pretty much bad start-to-finish in my book. Good job getting that ten on the river.

Diplomat 02-20-2004 05:50 PM

Re: i thought i played this great

Good use of a pattern map.

Oh wait.

-Diplomat

Clarkmeister 02-20-2004 05:52 PM

Re: i thought you played this terribly

"Decent player raises, you have a button who likes to call behind you, and you decide to play T8s? Why? Clarky might make fun of me, but this is an easy muck for me. "

No, I hate suited connectors in pots where anyone besides me is doing the raising. I'd fold it in a heartbeat. In fact, i can't remember the last time I coldcalled any preflop raise with a suited connector.

AJo Go All In 02-20-2004 05:53 PM

agree completely n/m

Coilean 02-20-2004 05:57 PM

I don't like raising guys with a weak pair on the turn if they have the annoying tendency to 3-bet it when they have a better pair, especially when it seems more likely than not that they have that better pair. You have a lot of outs and think there's maybe a 30% chance he's screwing around, so it's time to just call it down. I do like the 4-bet once you open the door for his 3-bet, though.

astroglide 02-20-2004 06:01 PM

terrible preflop call

DrSavage 02-20-2004 06:01 PM

I agree with Ulysses.
I also agree with mike in terms of every hand I win i think I played great.

Ulysses 02-20-2004 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do like the 4-bet once you open the door for his 3-bet, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought the same thing, then I reconsidered mike's read and decided the chances of him having TT or KK were enough to make me not like the 4-bet.