Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   On the duty to improve the world. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372379)

purnell 11-05-2005 12:20 PM

On the duty to improve the world.

DS mentioned this in passing a while back. Did my birth come with some kind of obligation to the rest of you?

chezlaw 11-05-2005 12:23 PM

Re: On the duty to improve the world.

[ QUOTE ]
DS mentioned this in passing a while back. Did my birth come with some kind of obligation to the rest of you?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, not even any obligation to yourself.

chez

DougShrapnel 11-05-2005 12:24 PM

You didn't get the memo?

BigSoonerFan 11-05-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you have the right to be selfish. Just don't expect any help from anyone else.

Borodog 11-05-2005 12:51 PM

Most people who feel they have a "duty" to "improve the world" only succeed in ****ing it up even worse.

Trantor 11-05-2005 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you have the right to be selfish. Just don't expect any help from anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you see someone in need how do you find out if they are selfish so you can decide to help or not, eg a drowning man?

Very cold charity you are offering.

chezlaw 11-05-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not mutually exclusive. We cooperate and treat others well because we want to, not because we have a duty to.

chez

Darryl_P 11-05-2005 06:30 PM

No, you're only supposed to help lazy people who don't take care of themselves, especially the big fat ones who buy twinkies with food stamps. I don't just mean help them buy more twinkies. You also gotta pay for their bypass operation when the twinkies clog their arteries.

hmkpoker 11-05-2005 07:45 PM

No, but some of us get a good feeling from charitable actions.

purnell 11-05-2005 07:59 PM

Yeah, I see it that way. In the case of the drowning man type scenario, it seems like people have an unconscious drive to help. Instinct?