Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How many days/week do you play? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=285457)

Bodhi 07-03-2005 02:32 PM

How many days/week do you play?

Since March I've only been working part-time and Poker supplements my income (quite nicely). I've played 7 days in a row now averaging $22/hour and I'm taking the day off. I feel like I need it, too. Until my job picks up more hours again in the fall, should I restrict myself to 5 days/week? Psychologically, what kind of playing schedules are you all comfortable with? I find that two 2 hour sessions 4-tabling/day are ok, but even that begins to feel like a "job" too many days in a row.

On a side note, since my hours are flexible, does the profit make it worth it to schedule my play on weekends?

Hybrid_11 07-03-2005 04:21 PM

Re: How many days/week do you play?

I don't really have set times where I play poker. If i'm at home and do not have any plans i play poker. I don't let poker hold me back from doing anything else its what i do in my freetime it just happens to make a nice income. That way i don't feel tied down to it and it does not feel like a "job"

grandgnu 07-03-2005 06:27 PM

I just went semi-pro a few months ago, turned $75 into over $1,000 so far, but not quitting my day job anytime soon.

I usually do two or three-hour long sessions, sometimes longer, depending on what I'm playing.

I'll four-table Omaha Hi/Lo ring games (limit, not pot limit, and full-ring, not 6-max) or I'll play a single Multi-Table tournament.

If I didn't work for a living, it might be easier to play more often. I actually only work 32 hours per week by choice, but my fiance' is pretty needy for attention.

Prime-time for me to play is 6pm on, eastern standard time. Those seem to be the best for fishy play for my cash games.

I enjoy hitting up the morning guaranteed tournaments because there's usually a nice overlay on Empire.

If you're making $22/hr, that's pretty sweet, not sure how sustainable it is or what length/track record you have. But certainly, don't play to the point of exhaustion or being uncomfortable or unhappy. Life is too short to do that.

Bodhi 07-03-2005 06:45 PM

This was the first week where I deliberately played a certain ammount of time, 4-tabling, every day, to make money, so I doubt $22/hour will hold up. Based on my previous ring game history I would expect that to drop down to $18/hour or so. Anyway, weekday evenings are obviously fine, but sticking to 5 days/week until my regular job picks up again seems prudent.

BigBaitsim (milo) 07-03-2005 07:12 PM

I took a day or two off in June. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

crego20 07-03-2005 07:19 PM

I play 4 days a week if I'm lucky.

mosquito 07-03-2005 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I took a day or two off in June. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Damn, I need to take more days off.

autobet 07-03-2005 09:28 PM

5-7
It has to be a good idea to take a few days off here and there.

Angrymoog 07-03-2005 09:51 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

I don't like to play more than 4 hours a day, but if I dont feel like playing for any particular reason at all, I won't.

Personally I plan to try and stretch my ability to play for longer and longer periods, slowly over time. Hopefully I get comfortable with playing 6 hours day after day, but so far after a few weeks I have to pull back.

SirArthur 07-04-2005 06:43 AM

I'll go back four months here; I have records for another year prior, but this should give you some idea.
Although, one year ago I played ALOT more.

March- 14 Days
April- 19 Days
May - 20 Days
June - 18 Days

Average around 4 hours for each day I play.