Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pocket 77 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403589)

12-22-2005 05:56 PM

Pocket 77

Would you bet the flop?

What to do on the river UI if one person comes with me? I favour c/c, but could you justify c/f?

Cryptologic 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4.00 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.00 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 3.00 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero doesn't show.
</font>

moose47 12-22-2005 06:20 PM

Re: Pocket 77

[ QUOTE ]
Would you bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
What to do on the river UI if one person comes with me? I favour c/c, but could you justify c/f?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd c/f. Do you really think your hand is best if you are called on the turn?

DCWildcat 12-22-2005 06:33 PM

I think c/c is the worst of our river options. The pot is wayyyy too small to justify calling. Bet/fold is favorable to c/c for a few reasons:
1) We're preventing them from bluffing
2) We might make a better hand fold
3) If they call, we lose. If they raise, we fold, knowing we're beat.

So we get the same information, plus the chance to buy the pot or make them fold a better hand, by b/f.

12-22-2005 06:34 PM

wouldnt bet the flop

DCWildcat 12-22-2005 06:37 PM

All that doesn't mean b/f is the best option, though. With one opponent, we'd be getting 4 to 1. So we need to be good 1 in 5 times for it to be successful. That's only 20%. Any kind of weak-tight will fold that often, as will most TAGs. So a bet would be good against them. Calling stations and habitual bluff-raisers won't, so don't bet against them.

All of that only applies to 1 opponent, though. With more than 1 opponent, in this small pot, a c/f is pretty easy.

12-22-2005 06:39 PM

Either c/f or b/f. c/c is horrid

DCWildcat 12-22-2005 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either c/f or b/c. c/c is horrid

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a b/c is pretty horrid. Other than a bluff, what raises on the river that we beat? We're an underpair to the board.

12-22-2005 06:48 PM

Agreed; I meant b/f. My mistake ;o

nomadtla 12-22-2005 07:15 PM

I think Bet/fold is a sillier option then c/c personally.

If they just call the turn bet then they will probably just call the river bet. Where as a check might enduce a bluff enough times to make it worth a call. I don't advocate the c/c line either. I see it as C/f &gt;&gt; c/c &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; B/f

DCWildcat 12-22-2005 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Bet/fold is a sillier option then c/c personally.

If they just call the turn bet then they will probably just call the river bet. Where as a check might enduce a bluff enough times to make it worth a call. I don't advocate the c/c line either. I see it as C/f &gt;&gt; c/c &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; B/f

[/ QUOTE ]

A call here would be atrocious with our hand and the pot size. At this limit, a villain line of call-&gt;fold is far more likely than call-&gt;bluff.

This whole situation is still very read dependent, which is why I harped on it in my earlier post.