Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   I still have trouble when I get 3-bet (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402900)

tpir90036 12-21-2005 04:57 PM

I still have trouble when I get 3-bet

I have an irrational fear of being weak-tight and my defense mechanism for this is to go into super passive calling mode for better or for worse. Here are two 15/30 hands from last night:

Hand #1:
8-handed, folded to me in the CO and I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. My image at his table is utter [censored]. I have been getting a nice stream of premium hands pre-flop but have not shown down any winners in a while. I get 3-bet by the button who is not aggro but is probably sick of me raising and might be coming after me light.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check and call.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check and call.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check and the BB bets.... ugg.

I beat nothing at this point. Easy fold without a good read?

Hand #2
Same game, next orbit, I open in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and get 3-bet by the BB who seems like a reasonable player but again might be sick of my raise-fest which appears to be full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, I call.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets....

Just fold the flop? That doesn't seem right, but I might have 0-3 outs. Raising the turn would be nice in a perfect world but my image is such crap that I think the odds of me getting AK/AQ to fold is zero. Easy muck on the turn? Pot is kind of small and all that.

Ugg. I hate getting 3-bet pre-flop. That throws me off more than anything else for some reason.

Thanks in advance,
-tpir

addendum: B Dibs has suggested to me in private that I might be over-thinking my image and I would like to concede that this might be true... but my PFR was seriously like 40% for a few orbits.

B Dids 12-21-2005 05:01 PM

Re: I still have trouble when I get 3-bet

Hand 1, I just raise the flop and move on from there, if at some point you think you're beat, I'd fold. This one seems like it hinges a lot on your read on him.

Hand 2 I fold the turn.

tpir90036 12-21-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone just fold the flop against a non-aggro? I mean how much equity do I really have here vs. a regular dude's 3-betting range?

wheelz 12-21-2005 05:12 PM

i cap the first one preflop, often i'd cap the second one too. having just called, in hand 1 i c/r the flop and go from there, hand 2 i fold the turn.

private joker 12-21-2005 05:16 PM

Your open raise in Hand 1 looks like a steal or semi-steal, so he doesn't have to be giving you credit for a hand as big as AQ, especially since he's sick of you raising.

When you say there's nothing you can beat, I think your range is too narrow. I'd also grant him hands like KQ/AJ/AT, etc. The river is a call. But I'd prefer you checkraised the flop and took control of the aggression.

Joe Tall 12-21-2005 05:19 PM

Donk the flop in Hand#1 and 3-bet a raise. I guess the BB called 2 cold?!?!

Hand #2 fold the turn.

jason_t 12-21-2005 05:23 PM

I cap both hands preflop.

Given that you didn't, I bet/3-bet the flop in hand #1 and drop on the flop in hand #2.

tpir90036 12-21-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donk the flop in Hand#1 and 3-bet a raise. I guess the BB called 2 cold?!?!

Hand #2 fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Both hands were HU. And I don't understand what 3-betting the flop accomplishes. What range of hands from a regular old non-aggro dude are 3-betting me pre-flop and raising me on the flop that I am still beating?

tpir90036 12-21-2005 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cap both hands preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would certainly like to hear more about this. Are you capping with AJ to steal on garbage flops? Because I can't imagine AJ is doing very well against this dude's 3-betting range.

obsidian 12-21-2005 05:34 PM

Wow, where the hell is AggroHushPoster when you need him. Seriously, easy cap both PF. Especially if they think you steal light. As played, c/r the flop in hand 1. It's a lot easier to play from there.