Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Apparently I can't dress myself (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400998)

dblgutshot 12-19-2005 12:00 AM

Re: Apparently I can\'t dress myself

http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/

Go look through the style section for ideas.

lapoker17 12-19-2005 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lapoker, do you have any advice for taller people (6'4" or 6'5")? a lot of brands cut off at 34" inseam and they never seem long enough. i am fairly slim, but am athletic and have kind of a big ass. i find its really hard to find jeans that fit well, i know its probably a stretch that you know anything specific but you seem on the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. not sure dude. hilarious post btw. but you are in new york, right, so like, where do athletes buy jeans? i know these higher end brands have to make bigger sizes.

[censored] 12-19-2005 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 30, should put that in there

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you not own anything but t-shirts, jeans and sneakers? Are you unemployed and live at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do people not wear collared shirts or street shoes on the west coast? That place scares me.

[/ QUOTE ]

good keep your bitch ass out of here then, we wouldn't like a fuzzy topped, deuche bag, piece of [censored], pussy like yourself either.

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you not own anything but t-shirts, jeans and sneakers? Are you unemployed and live at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do people not wear collared shirts or street shoes on the west coast? That place scares me.

[/ QUOTE ]

good keep your bitch ass out of here then, we wouldn't like a fuzzy topped, deuche bag, piece of [censored], pussy like yourself either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'm not the 30 year old who can't dress himself.

surfinillini 12-19-2005 12:06 AM

censored,

don't forget the shopping spree trip report

daryn 12-19-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're about 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon, dude. Oregon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.think-strange.de/stuff/images/owned.jpg

for astro

ononimo 12-19-2005 12:13 AM

i think PoBoy's rebuttal was quite good, actually.

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't feel OMGLOLROFLMAOBBQ PWN1NAT3D!!!11!1!1!!!1!one!!1! at all.

ononimo 12-19-2005 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i do give [censored] credit for this, though: he has most of OOT clamoring all over themselves to teach him how to dress and get him laid by women on myspace. those leadership qualities are nearly without rival, if you ask me.

[censored] 12-19-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its because you're completely oblivious to the fact that you are the text book putz that most guys can't [censored] stand.

[censored] 12-19-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i do give [censored] credit for this, though: he has most of OOT clamoring all over themselves to teach him how to dress and get him laid by women on myspace. those leadership qualities are nearly without rival, if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really have anything to do with me, I just try to make my threads about things that people can relate to.

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't really have anything to do with me, I just try to make my threads about things that people can relate to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you've found an outlet to discuss not being able to pick out an outfit or meet women outside of the internet.

[censored] 12-19-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you've found an outlet to discuss not being able to pick out an outfit or meet women outside of the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

dress your bitch ass up however you like panzy ass [censored] and put me my black t shirt and jeans and [censored] garuntee I will pull more bush than you in any [censored] situation you can come up with.

I would love for someone to arrange this as the next crimson challenge so I could expose you for the [censored] tool that im sure you truly are.

daryn 12-19-2005 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i am just on [censored]'s side because i don't own any of that fancy shmancy crap either

ononimo 12-19-2005 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i am just on [censored]'s side because i don't own any of that fancy shmancy crap either

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw - i'm no one's "side" but for a 30yo man, i don't think collared shirts and non-rubber soled shoes should qualify as "fancy shmancy".

daryn 12-19-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw - i'm no one's "side" but for a 30yo man, i don't think collared shirts and non-rubber soled shoes should qualify as "fancy shmancy".

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't play ball, baby

[censored] 12-19-2005 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK let me clarify something. When I worked in an accouting firm I wore slacks, dress shoes and a botton down shirt of various color every day. I just got rid of that [censored] over time and wanted new opinions for dates.

ononimo 12-19-2005 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all upscale clubs/lounges.

daryn 12-19-2005 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't play ball, baby

[/ QUOTE ]

you never run into dress code issues in nice bars, clubs, or restaurants in Boston? i'm in NYC and sneakers are a non-starter in just about all decent clubs/lounges.

[/ QUOTE ]

never have i run into such dress code issues.

the main reason for that is because i never have been to any nice bars, clubs or restaurants.

Sponger15SB 12-19-2005 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently it consists of 3 pairs of Levi jeans, about 25 standard black T shirts, 10 standard White T shirts (for summer), a few long sleave black T shirts which wear in conjuction with the short sleave when its cold. A pair of black skechers and a pair of brown skechers and an empire poker zip up fleece.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether anyone has suggested it but you should get 10 standard grey or tan shirts and 10 standard dark blue shirts.

problem solved.

PoBoy321 12-19-2005 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

dress your bitch ass up however you like panzy ass [censored] and put me my black t shirt and jeans and [censored] garuntee I will pull more bush than you in any [censored] situation you can come up with.

I would love for someone to arrange this as the next crimson challenge so I could expose you for the [censored] tool that im sure you truly are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily, but for the fact that I have a girlfriend.

ononimo 12-19-2005 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the main reason for that is because i never have been to any nice bars, clubs or restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, i suppose i should have seen that coming.

12-19-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone under 35 should be wearing cashmere.

I'm 22 and I do fine without a CASHMERE sweater...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is it that you DO live, man? Women LOVE cashmere. I've never heard anyone suggest that it's only for old guys. What kind of stuff DO you wear?

Blarg 12-19-2005 01:29 AM

Wait until the day after Christmas, and then shop early. You will get a lot of stuff for half off, some even cheaper, as they try to dump their stock. This will make your $500 go much, much further. This is almost the only time I shop for clothes.

P.S. At good department stores with non-[censored] staff, if you find something you really like but the color or size is just a bit off, you can ask them to phone other branches and reserve you the size you want, and either hold it for pick-up for you for a day or two in the other branch or send it to the branch you're at, which might take a few days to a week to get there.

Someone mentioned striped button down shirts. I'd pass on the stripes and get solid colors. They match more easily with a lot of stuff and tend to keep in style more.

Also, don't hesitate to get two of your favorite thing, just like you've been doing with your t-shirts. Sometimes it's hard to find things that are really cool, or what you have gets damaged or eventually a little frayed or whatnot, so two copies of the same shirt if you really like it. As well as the same one in different colors.

As you're starting from scratch, get some very basic colors first that go with lots of things, like a few ordinary blues that aren't "funky" or weird off-color blues, and some other colors the same -- a regular red or green rather than a weird looking one.

Final advice -- girls dig shoes. I mean they REALLY dig them. And not at all just on themselves. I've heard them countless times saying they judge a man by his shoes and that it's a good idea. In all seriousness. It's the kind of "last detail" that proves to some of them that you're "really" classy or rich or hip or whatever the code words are for it these days. (Along with a good belt, to a far lesser extent.)

Get yourself a nice pair of shoes or two, even though it's costly. Then women, even ones you'd think would know better, will think you're the real deal when it comes to, uh, class.

astroglide 12-19-2005 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and for the other sweater get either a nice turltle neck

[/ QUOTE ]

NO

astroglide 12-19-2005 01:51 AM

thanks daryn

Blarg 12-19-2005 02:16 AM

?

[censored] 12-19-2005 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Final advice -- girls dig shoes. I mean they REALLY dig them. And not at all just on themselves. I've heard them countless times saying they judge a man by his shoes and that it's a good idea. In all seriousness. It's the kind of "last detail" that proves to some of them that you're "really" classy or rich or hip or whatever the code words are for it these days. (Along with a good belt, to a far lesser extent.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're still talking about black or browm leather shoes? any particular brands I should look out for? Or will just going to nordstroms etc work?

astroglide 12-19-2005 02:22 AM

i RARELY pull the "men shouldn't" card, but i cannot support dudes wearing turtlenecks

Luv2DriveTT 12-19-2005 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do what gonores does. Take a girl shopping and let her pick out everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not what Gonores does... He sends me a PM first. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Luv2DriveTT 12-19-2005 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i love anything by these people.

www.penguinclothing.com

check out the new stuff, and get some nice fall colors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call Klepton, but there is a lot by Penguin that doesn't cut the mustard as well. I happen to be wearing a Penguin sweater as I type this response, but I had to comb through a lot of crap to find the quality item I am wearing.

jdl22 12-19-2005 02:35 AM

[censored],

I've always had good luck shopping here.

Luv2DriveTT 12-19-2005 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're still talking about black or browm leather shoes? any particular brands I should look out for? Or will just going to nordstroms etc work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoes make the man, it is a fact. You can dress semi-decent, but the shoes will take it over the top... its a very important accessory that is neglected by the average man.

The key to shoe shopping is leather soles, 90% of the time they will be made in Italy (because the best shoes are always made in Italy). Your signature shoe should never have rubber soles, nor should it be too "clunky"... streamline is the key. Personally I prefer ankle high boots, but they may be a bit too expensive for your budget.

The trick to leather soles is that even though you are buying them for the leather on the bottom, you will never actually wear them that way. Take the to a great shoe repairman to have no slip rubber bottoms installed, your shoes will last for ages with this little bit of extra care.

Another great trick is the shine. Unless you have patent leather shoes, don't do for the "spit" shine, always leave the leather semi-dull. It may make some cobblers look at you cross-eyed, but since you know better than to take fashion advance from someone who has black shoe polish stains on their fingertips its safe to ignore the funny looks cause you will look dashing.

[censored] 12-19-2005 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored],

I've always had good luck shopping here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they use for currency there? rubles, euros? or is it a strict barter system?

Eurotrash 12-19-2005 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The key to shoe shopping is leather souls

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck with that, [censored].

Blarg 12-19-2005 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, lots of women know the brands of men's shoes and some can identify them on sight and really dig a certain few brands as being the best. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask some women you know what they think.

You could always trust your own judgment, too. In that case, I'd go for a pair or two of shoes first in the same way you build up a wardrobe or shirts -- get a black dress shoe first, as it will go with so many things. Stay away from the browns until you have at least two or three pairs of nice leather shoes, as they are looked down on by a lot of people who don't know better, and at any rate are often thought to work with nothing but browns even by people who seemingly do know better. Brown is a color that asks for an argument from the snobs and self-appointed fashionistas. Get hip and funky with your shoes only after you have a solid base of more ordinary, versatile ones. For you right now, that means at least a couple pairs of black ones, to start.

To me one of the keys of fashion at a non-trashy level is that minimalism is the soul of class. Get shoes that are not too busy or overdecorative. You don't need the ones that have extra big brass or metal on them, someone's initial, etc. When you think flash or style, think of it as a discrete accompaniment to a solid, elegant underpinning, a detail rather than a main attraction. Unfortunately, these can be harder to find than the cheesy glaring fashions meant to sell to your basic pimp. But people who know better, and that includes women, will recognize subtlety in fashion and appreciate it. It definitely puts you a cut above the average joe goober.

Of course, there will always be the occasional idiot you bump into, like someone my friend was dating who said, "I would NEVER go out with a man who wore loafers!" She wasn't kidding either. For her this was actually important.

See what I mean about women having very strong opinions about men's shoes? It can get pretty unreal.

Btw, loafers are fine with most women, and good versatile shoes overall. No matter what you get, there will always be someone who disagrees with it.

Blarg 12-19-2005 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shoes make the man, it is a fact. You can dress semi-decent, but the shoes will take it over the top... its a very important accessory that is neglected by the average man.

The key to shoe shopping is leather soles, 90% of the time they will be made in Italy (because the best shoes are always made in Italy). Your signature shoe should never have rubber soles, nor should it be too "clunky"... streamline is the key. Personally I prefer ankle high boots, but they may be a bit too expensive for your budget.

The trick to leather soles is that even though you are buying them for the leather on the bottom, you will never actually wear them that way. Take the to a great shoe repairman to have no slip rubber bottoms installed, your shoes will last for ages with this little bit of extra care.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good tip. Leather soles can wear out very, very quickly. This kind of shoe is not your walking around, doing errands shoe. I've worn out very nice soles this way, which was pretty dumb.

By the way, use either shoe trees, which some advise against because they say they will stretch the shoe out too much, or stuff your good shoes tightly with crumpled up newspapers when you're not wearing them. Every time, right away. Otherwise they will very quickly settle into deep wrinkles that will ruin their look. Think of it as preserving your investment. And good leather shoes can be quite an investment.

Talk2BigSteve 12-19-2005 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Remember this is stuff for dates and pretty much that only

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is important to be relaxed and comfortable when on a date. So wearing clothing that you never wear would just make me feel out of sorts.

Buy some new stuff don't violate any of these rules and wear the new stuff on dates but also wear it once a week even if you are not going on a date. Get comfortable in your new threads.

You want to look good without looking like you are trying to hard or faking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah where has this site been all my life. nice

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably only linked from some gay/metrosexual website.

But it is good advice.

I wish I took it.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jdanz 12-19-2005 03:28 AM

and how/where does one go about getting these?

MonkeeMan 12-19-2005 03:28 AM

One word

http://www.bling-online.com/images/cd-w300.jpg