Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   50/100 3 handed (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394012)

ggbman 12-08-2005 04:23 AM

50/100 3 handed

Sb just joined the table. Button folds, he raise. I 3bet k9o from the BB. Flop is 953 and he check calls. The turn is an 8 and he check raises. What is my play and why. If i 3 bet do i fold to a 4 bet?

12-08-2005 04:38 AM

Re: 50/100 3 handed

I would call down. Your hand is definitely strong enough to go to the showdown, but I do not think it is strong enough to fire in another raise.

stinkypete 12-08-2005 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sb just joined the table. Button folds, he raise. I 3bet k9o from the BB. Flop is 953 and he check calls. The turn is an 8 and he check raises. What is my play and why. If i 3 bet do i fold to a 4 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think 3-bet folding is fine once in a while, particularly if you want to encourage your opponent to bluff more and give a lot of action in general. you just have to be aware that once they figure out you're capable of 3-bet/folding and they start going nuts, you can't keep folding.

the fact that he just joined the table suggests it might not be a bad idea - he's pretty damn unlikely to be 4-betting anything that doesn't have you crushed. on the other hand, he could be a maniac and you just don't know it yet, and folding would be disastrous.

12-08-2005 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If i 3 bet do i fold to a 4 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to comment on this hypothetical question. Since you have no read on the villain, taking any line of action that could result in you folding this hand on this board is being reckless with your bankroll IMO. 3 bet and fold to a 4 bet are lines you can only take against opponents you know very well. Whenever you are in a situation HU against an unknown with a decent hand such as the one you have, I would never take a line that would possibly lead to you folding. If you would feel compelled to fold to a 4 bet if you did 3 bet then you should not 3 bet to begin with. Against an unknown, getting to the showdown with this hand is too valuable IMO.

So you really only have 3 lines of action that are acceptable IMO:
1)call down
2) 3bet/call the turn and call/bet/check the river
3)call the turn, and raise/call, bet or check the river

I choose #1.

etizzle 12-08-2005 05:08 AM

I think you got too much hand here. I 3 bet and if he 4 bets i barf and then *probably* call down, but folding here and calling stuff later is probably the better plan.

NLSoldier 12-08-2005 02:38 PM

If you were out of position I would like a 3bet, here I just calldown.

flawless_victory 12-08-2005 03:00 PM

im happy to threebet and i fold NEVER.

esspo 12-08-2005 03:04 PM

Your hand is too strong to fold in a SB/BB war. I like calling then raising any river other than A, J or T. Whether you raise the river if a 6, 7 or 8 hits depends on your play style and the image you want to project. It's risky because I think you'd have to pay off a total unknown in that spot in that game.

The main reason I don't like raising the turn is that just about any player will release when they are on air. Also, a tough player is capable of releasing when drawing to 5 outs or less and is much more likely to 4 bet the turn when you are behind as opposed to 3 betting the river.

gonores 12-08-2005 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is too strong to fold in a SB/BB war. I like calling then raising any river other than A, J or T. Whether you raise the river if a 6, 7 or 8 hits depends on your play style and the image you want to project. It's risky because I think you'd have to pay off a total unknown in that spot in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost nailed my line perfectly. Though I would throw a Q on the "don't raise" list as well.

flawless_victory 12-08-2005 03:50 PM

i dont wait for the river here because half (maybe more!) river cards are gonna make u not wanna raise, but youll still have the best hand the majority of the time...
also, he is allowed to check the river and then u csant raise... what if it comes ace or seven? he might check his pair, then u miss a bet...
no1 folds a pair in blind battles at 50/100 online, if he folds he had some stupid bluff that we prob dont mind him fold... not like our hand is invulnerable here.