Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Numbers every poker player should know (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377085)

SuitedSixes 11-12-2005 04:18 PM

Numbers every poker player should know

This thread got me thinking about certain mathematical principles that every poker player should know. What does the following list of percentages indicate?

100%
77.4%
58.6%
43.0%
30.5%
20.7%
13.3%
7.9%
4.02%
1.9%

The first correct answer will receive 10% of the $250 EPVIP October that I anticipate I will never receive (see Internet Bonus forum for complete details).

eastbay 11-12-2005 04:40 PM

Re: Numbers every poker player should know

Nobody should know what any of those numbers are, unless it's to impress not very sharp people with useless trivia.

eastbay

11-12-2005 04:41 PM

Your ITM rate as you move up the levels? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lautzutao 11-12-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody should know what any of those numbers are, unless it's to impress not very sharp people with useless trivia.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you want 10% of his "winnings"[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Onaflag 11-12-2005 04:59 PM

Simple. The percentage that a bad beat story deviates from the truth each time it is told. There is a similar progression over in the fishing forum.

Onaflag.........

SuitedSixes 11-12-2005 05:07 PM

The problem with being "the funny guy" is that when you make a serious post no one takes you seriously.

11-12-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with making annoying posts is that when you make another annoying post no one takes you seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

11-12-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with making annoying posts is that when you make another annoying post no one takes you seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he is very anoying [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

eastbay 11-12-2005 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with being "the funny guy" is that when you make a serious post no one takes you seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post was not meant to be funny, it's meant to be a criticism of the idea that those are numbers that every poker player should know. IMO, they aren't. Knowing those numbers is a sign that you're wasting time on useless things. Whether or not anyone takes my opinions seriously is up to them.

eastbay

SuitedSixes 11-12-2005 05:30 PM

Eastbay, what percentage of the time that you are holding pocket 9s will the flop come with no over cards? Do you think that this is something that every poker player should know?