Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Florida Hold-em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=100395)

BigBluffer 07-06-2004 04:51 PM

Florida Hold-em

Well, it's really Texas Hold-em but with a different structure: $2 on all rounds (max 3 raises). Most games are very loose, 10-handed. Small blind is $1 and Big Blind is $2. Rake is 10% with a $5 max plus a $1 jackpot rake. Whew!

My question is about how I should change my playing strategy for this $2-flat structure as opposed to the typical $1/$2 structure? My gut tells me I should tighten up even more pre-flop, since the size of the bet pre-flop is equal to the size of the bets post-flop, turn and river. On the other hand, my gut tells me that I should loosen up post-flop because the bets are now smaller relative to the size of the pot (compared to a similar game at the $1/$2 structure). Comments?

Let's leave out any consideration about whether the game is worth playing at all in the first place. It is the only game available to me without driving 2 hours.

Thanks in advance.

BB

Wheezl 07-06-2004 07:08 PM

Re: Florida Hold-em

Play online. Im not an expert on the subject, but I have a suspicion that no matter how well you play you cant beat the rake.

TomCollins 07-07-2004 09:11 AM

You have obviously never sat in these games. Even a trained monkey could beat the rake if you saw how bad these players were.

Arnie 07-07-2004 09:20 AM

I used to play at the Daytona Kennel club, until I started working there. It the softest game in the world. tighten up, especially in early position, EVERYONE there loves to slowplay...reminds me of .5/1 on Party. Play good cards, and be prepared to get drawn out a few times a night.

Michael Davis 07-07-2004 10:13 AM

Trust your gut.

-Michael

Warik 07-07-2004 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have obviously never sat in these games. Even a trained monkey could beat the rake if you saw how bad these players were.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have sat in these games and I can vouch for that. The pots $1/$2 games in South Florida easily average over $25. You routinely see 6 to the flop and 3 or 4 way showdowns.

An uncontested pot is a rare and someone folding from the SB with absolute TRASH is even more rare.

The Straight $2 games usually have one or two maniacs who feel cool playing "high limit" poker and will re-raise any preflop raise.

Session Transcript:

Warik> "raise to $4"
Guy> "4?????????????? Then we have to make it 8!" He raises to 6 and his buddy makes it 8.

It's fun but gets boring quick... can you beat the rake? Sure... the question is: why waste your time?

12AX7 07-07-2004 11:57 PM

Where in S. Fla. are these games? I thought Fla. had a $10 pot size limit? Did the laws down there change? Are there any higher limits local to Palm Beach, Broward or Dade?

arx 07-08-2004 09:01 AM

Law changed some time ago.

Games: Jai Alai, both in Miami and Hollywood, Indian reservations, Dog tracks.....everywhere.

Arnie 07-08-2004 09:04 AM

they are also putting single table SnGs into some of the cardrooms

Warik 07-08-2004 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where in S. Fla. are these games? I thought Fla. had a $10 pot size limit? Did the laws down there change? Are there any higher limits local to Palm Beach, Broward or Dade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Miami... and other places I'm sure. The $10 pot limit nonsense was lifted years ago I believe. Some anti-gambling groups actually wrote letters to Gov. Bush asking him to veto the bill because it would legalize high-stakes poker in Florida (the betting limit is still $2. I'm waiting for them to allow $1 limit games because this $2 stuff is too high for me LOL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

I've played a few times at the Miccosukee Indian Reservation. 9-handed tables full of retired folks and younger drunk guys. You would have to play pretty terrible to not be the best player at your table.

These guys are great. If Party were this soft we'd all be millionaires.