Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hypothetical Sports Fan Situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396837)

MEbenhoe 12-12-2005 01:46 PM

Hypothetical Sports Fan Situation

You must choose to cheer for 1 team in each major professional/college sport you currently follow.

Here are the rules:

-You live in Alaska, so you have no hometown connection to any major sports team.
-You've never followed these sports before, so you have no interest or hatred in any team, but you have all the historical information on teams you could ever want
-You have no affiliation to any team whatsoever
-You have your own private jet and unlimited amounts of $$$ which allows you to attend any and all sporting events you could want, as long as they don't conflict in time
-You have the best satellite dish ever, which picks up every tv station in the entire world including local stations, allowing you to see every televised sporting event possible.
-You can't pick any team you currently cheer for in real life
-Include the teams you currently cheer for in parentheses

Discuss

My choices:

MLB - Indians (Yankees/Brewers)
NBA - Heat (Bucks)
NFL - Chargers (Packers)
NCAABB - UCLA (Duke/Marquette)
NCAAFB - Notre Dame (Wisconsin)

jstnrgrs 12-12-2005 01:54 PM

Re: Hypothetical Sports Fan Situation

MLB - Angles (Red Sox)
NFL - Steelers (Patriots)
NCAAFB - Utah (Boston College)
NHL - Avalanche (Bruins)
NBA - Basketball is stupid (Basketball is stupid)
NCAABB - Basketball is stupid (Basketball is stupid)

wh1t3bread 12-12-2005 02:11 PM

MLB- Cardinals(Mets)
NFL- Packers(Jets)
NHL- Red Wings (Rangers)

Russ McGinley 12-12-2005 02:14 PM

I would probably choose to follow the teams that have the best combined history + chances each year of winning the championship (The Ultimate Bandwagoner). Extra stuff like celebrities and special events would also be good. NFL is toughest because of parity.

MLB - Yankees (Cubs, Red Sox, Braves)
NBA - Lakers (Bulls, Heat, Magic)
NFL - Giants (Bears)
NCAAFB - Notre Dame (Florida)
NCAABB - Duke (Florida)

pokerdirty 12-12-2005 02:16 PM

MLB - Dodgers (Yankees)
NBA - Cavs (Lakers in the 80s/90s)
NFL - Jets? (Redskins in the 80s/90s)
NHL - Red Wings (Blue Jackets)
NCAABB - ? (tOSU)
NCAAFB - ? (tOSU)

I'm not really a pro football/basketball fan, and haven't really watched either sport since 98.

College Sports are really hard to watch I would think unless you have a really strong connection to that school. There are so many teams out there that you could like, but I couldn't imaging rooting for any other team other than The Ohio State University.

banditbdl 12-12-2005 02:24 PM

I'd wanna pick teams where each one was The Show in their area and the ownership/administration seemed at least adequate. Here goes.

MLB- St. Louis Cardinals (Twins)
NBA- Indianapolis Pacers (T-Wolves) -easiest pick, Jazz disallowed because its freaking Utah and I'm gonna wanna party if I'm making that kind of trip
NFL- Green Bay Packers (Vikings)
NCAABB- UConn (Minnesota- Go Gophs!) -toughest pick by far
NCAAFB- Notre Dame (Minnesota)

pokerdirty 12-12-2005 02:28 PM

so we have a vikings fan that would become a GB fan, and a Bo Sox fan that would be come a Yankee fan.

I know it's cold outside, but it would seem that Hell has officially frozen over.

Soul Daddy 12-12-2005 02:30 PM

I don't really understand how to answer this, as I have followed these sports for some time and have some perspective that is likely clouding my judgment. I think that my answers would be entirely different if I were just recently exposed to everything like in the above scenario, but I have no idea how to account for that. But I'll play along and just use my biased perspective.

MLB - Cubs (Red Sox)
NBA - Pacers (none)
NFL - Chiefs (Eagles)
NCAABB - Gonzaga (Kentucky)
NCAAFB - ??? (Kentucky/Michigan)

MEbenhoe 12-12-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand how to answer this, as I have followed these sports for some time and have some perspective that is likely clouding my judgment. I think that my answers would be entirely different if I were just recently exposed to everything like in the above scenario, but I have no idea how to account for that. But I'll play along and just use my biased perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

The goal is to attempt to be as unbias as possible, while allowing a little bias to creep in obviously.

12-12-2005 04:17 PM

MLB- Cubs (Mets)
NBA- Mavericks (Knicks)
NFL- Packers (Giants)
NHL- Flyers (Islanders)
NCAABB- Temple, 'til Chaney's gone (St. John's)
NCAAFB- Boston College (Penn St./Notre Dame)