Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Should I have folded to the mini-raise? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403741)

12-22-2005 10:34 PM

Should I have folded to the mini-raise?

Villian has been fairly aggro, but I do not have any better read on him than that. By his stack size, he has won a few pots. Please comment on all aspects of my play, especially my re-raise to his mini-raise and the fold when he re-re-raised me. I figured that KK, AA, 56, AQ, or a set could all be possibilities for his hand, so I decided to fold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($98.50)
Hero ($49.95)
MP1 ($38.30)
MP2 ($65.35)
MP3 ($107.85)
CO ($107.80)
Button ($98.50)
SB ($36.40)
BB ($128.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($10.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $38</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $73.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. BB wins $73.50. </font>

12-22-2005 10:43 PM

Re: Should I have folded to the mini-raise?

I would probably fold to the first minraise, but if you think he is overly aggro then I guess a call is OK.

Definitely don't 3 bet - if you're ahead then he'll fold and you lose any money from bluffs on later streets, and if you're behind then you're just spewing money. No worse hand would ever call this bet. Folding at the end is horrible but it is pretty much 100% that he has a set here so you have 2 outs.

PoBoy321 12-22-2005 10:44 PM

Definitely fold to the min-raise.

12-22-2005 10:55 PM

First or secod mini-raise?

DJ Sensei 12-22-2005 11:02 PM

your 3-bet on the flop is pretty bad, i think. The only thing it could possibly chase off is a weak pair of queens or a straight up bluff, but you're throwing money down the drain against most things that beat you. A call of his raise isn't terrible, as you have position on him and can see if he still likes his hand on the turn. Folding directly to the checkraise is your best bet, i think.

And the next time he's in a pot with you, make a similar bet with a stronger hand, and hope he checkraises you again.

PoBoy321 12-22-2005 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First. He isn't making the raise with TT or worse.

jsnipes28 12-22-2005 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First. He isn't making the raise with TT or worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-22-2005 11:49 PM

Bet ~8 on flop, fold to minraise.

12-23-2005 03:08 PM

You see this type hand come up often, and they always come down to the same factor: Bluff equity. Do you think your opponent is capable and willing to pull off this type of determined bluff? If not, then folding to the mini-raise is a given. If so, you have a tough decision.

12-23-2005 03:54 PM

Your actions up to and including your first bet on the flop say "i have a pretty good hand to a very good hand".

There aren't really any draws on that board--a flop minraise if often a draw or someone trying to feel out if they are beat or not as a turn min raise is typically something strong.

When he raises that flop he is telling you, "hey man, I know you have two good cards over there, but after checking out this flop I think I might have the best hand."

At that point I think it is safe to say you are beaten, unless you think he would try this nonsense with 77-TT on a dry board like that--considering he is OOP this is more unlikely.

Three betting him might get him off a couple of hands, but it look like unecessary spewing. You are not invested heavily, just move on to the next hand.