Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Lateral Thinking (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=300134)

TheIrishThug 07-25-2005 02:25 PM

Lateral Thinking

Heard someone read this while in barnes and noble. didn't have time to think about it cause they went straight onto the answer. but knowing the answer i'm not sure if i would have been able to make the correct conclusion. so i'll let u guys give it a shot. if u've heard it before that doesn't count, i'm trying to see if ppl can do it.

here it is:
a guy walks into a bar and asks for a glass of water. the bartender pulls out a shotgun and says "get out of my bar." the man says "thank you" and leaves.
why does the man say thank you?

kyro 07-25-2005 02:34 PM

Re: Lateral Thinking

[ QUOTE ]
if u've heard it before that doesn't count, i'm trying to see if ppl can do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming the majority of people on this forum have heard this one before. Partly because this exact problem was posted with this exact title a couple months ago.

TheIrishThug 07-25-2005 02:45 PM

sorry, i did a quick search and didn't find it

kyro 07-25-2005 03:00 PM

Linky

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 07-25-2005 04:24 PM

<font color="white">he has the hicups?? im sure there are other answers that fit, since there is no proven cure for hicups that i know of. </font>

BZ_Zorro 07-25-2005 06:06 PM

I know this is wrong, but can you prove it?
<font color="white">The two are speaking in code. The bartender sells illegal guns but suspects the place is bugged. Because the regulars never drink water, asking for a glass of water is code for 'I want a shotgun.' The bartender pulls this out, says 'get out of my bar (code for You can pay me later)', the man says 'thank you' and leaves with his shotgun.</font>

kitaristi0 07-25-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="white">The two are speaking in code. The bartender sells illegal guns but suspects the place is bugged. Because the regulars never drink water, asking for a glass of water is code for 'I want a shotgun.' The bartender pulls this out, says 'get out of my bar (code for You can pay me later)', the man says 'thank you' and leaves with his shotgun.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

kpux 07-25-2005 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also cannot prove that there weren't two zebras in the bar. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

C'mon, Occam's Razor, people...

PairTheBoard 07-25-2005 08:37 PM

I thought maybe the guy was casing the joint and wanted to find out where the defensive artillery was kept. The bartender spotted him for a thief and chased him out. The guy got the info he was after and snidely said thanks when leaving.

PairTheBoard

BZ_Zorro 07-26-2005 12:35 AM

Are you saying my suggestion is more unreasonable/unlikely than the idea that

1. A guy goes into a bar to ask for water
2. The bartender PULLS A SHOTGUN ON HIM!!
3. He says 'thank you' because <font color="white">it cured his hiccups</font>????

Occam's Razor indeed.