Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Probability (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Question about coinflip? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401081)

ripwalk 12-19-2005 12:06 AM

Question about coinflip?

The standard "race" in poker (pair v.s. 2 overcards) is always termed a "coinflip". From various hand simulators, I've always thought the percentage for this was somewhere around the 51 to 49 percent range in favour of the pair taking it.

However, one guy I was playing tonight kept quoting the coinflip situations as being 55 to 45 in favour of the pair.

And, as I think about it, I've seen some poker broadcasts where they advertise this percentage...

I'm just wondering, what is the actually probability of the race situation in poker?

jtr 12-19-2005 12:38 AM

Re: Question about coinflip?

Which hand simulators are you using that this is a mystery? For AKo vs 88 without any suits being shared, it's 44.4% to 55.6% in favour of 88. So yes, coinflip is something of a misnomer.

Hope this helps,
--JTR.

ohnonotthat 12-19-2005 03:46 AM

The rule of thumb is that the pair is a 6-5 (55:45) favorite against overcards.

The term "coin-flip" refers to the fact that there is no huge mismatch; the dead money (blinds + antes + anyone who folded) often makes it mathmatically correct for both players to contest the pot - even if they could see the other's hand.

Pair vs lower pair is a mismatch; the higher pair is, on average, a 4.5-1 (82:18) favorite.

A-K vs A-"anything else" is a mismatch; A-K is > a 3-1 favorite over almost all other Aces.

A-J vs K-T is not a David/Goliath but the A-J is ~ a 3-2 (60:40) favorite.

You will win alot of money by getting opponents to put their stacks in the pot as 6-5 underdogs.

You will get rich getting them all-in as 3-1/4-1 'dogs.

The other reason for the term . . .

If I am looking at a large bet (that is not a bluff) while holding A-K there are 3 scenarios.

My opponent has a pair (2-2 thru Q-Q) and I am a small 'dog.

My opponent has a lessor Ace (A-Q being the most likely) and I am a huge favorite.

My opponent has AA or KK and I am in deep doodoo.

- Actually there is a difference between facing KK or AA; I am close to dead against AA while I am a [much smaller] 3-1 'dog against KK but obviously I am hoping for one of the first two scenarios (him: A-Q or a smaller pair) if I do call.

pzhon 12-19-2005 06:34 AM

Usually the pair is a favorite, by as much as 57:43, e.g., Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] vs. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] vs. K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Sometimes the overcards are a favorite, by as much as 54:46, e.g., J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] vs. 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I recommend www.twodimes.net .

12-19-2005 11:10 AM

Your opponent was closer to being correct, I think. Typically a pair is considered favourite by a margin of roughly 55-45 against the overcards.