Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   3 AK preflop hands (with a quiz!) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398743)

ajmargarine 12-15-2005 01:41 AM

3 AK preflop hands (with a quiz!)

Here are 3 hands I played today. Villians in these hands are not so good. Maniacs, fish, and ATMs are terms that come to mind. 2 of these hands I pushed preflop, one I folded. You tell me which one I folded. (Meh, a couple of these limits are higher, but this is really a basic SSNL post)

Comments welcome on all hands.
--------------------------------------------------------
Hand #1

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table, 5-handed

Hero ($150), Villian covers

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, Villian raises to $2, Hero raises to $9, 1 fold, Villian raises to $22, Hero...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hand #2

$1/$2 NLHE Full Table, 7-handed

UTG+1 ($140)
MP1 ($710)
CO ($140)
Button ($200)
Hero ($315)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $10, MP1 raises to $20, CO calls $20, Button calls $20, Hero...
--------------------------------------------------------

Hand #3

$1/$3 NLHE Full Table, 7-handed

UTG, UTG+1, and MP all have about $140, Hero covers.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $3, UTG+1 raises to $21, MP calls $21, 1 fold, Hero...

DJ Sensei 12-15-2005 01:58 AM

Re: 3 AK preflop hands (with a quiz!)

maybe its just me, but i rarely push AK preflop, unless against a short enough stack. There would have to be a few conditions in place if i was going to do it with deeper stacks:

-Lots of dead money in the pot, but also plenty of fold equity, and not wanting to get overcommitted to a multi-way pot postflop (see hand #2)
-One stupid and particularly aggressive opponent in the pot, especially in a steal situation (AKA, can't fold his AJ after he's made 2 raises with it already, see hand #1)
-Perhaps if i raised first in, several people called, and a known very-aggressive player made a big raise (likely a squeeze play) I might push over the top.

trumpman84 12-15-2005 02:06 AM

If you're going to fold one, i think #1 is the one to do it. Smallish pot, you are out of position and Villain has told you twice he has a big hand. The other two, there is a ton of dead money with all the cold calls which probably are not great hands.

LetYouDown 12-15-2005 02:08 AM

Fold hand 1. Hand 2 I don't like the push at all. Hand 3 it makes sense.

orange 12-15-2005 02:08 AM

I think hand 1 is the one. No dead money, HU, 3-betted, and villan and you have both shown strength.

Hands 2+3 have lots of dead money, pretty good FE, and even if someone calls, you are generally 50/50 to win.

DoomSlice 12-15-2005 02:09 AM

Weeeee... picking up dead money is so fun isn't it?

(Regardless of strategy, you could probably tell that Hand 1 is the most different of the 3 hands)

12-15-2005 02:11 AM

hand 1, i fold - hand 2, a read on MP1 would help - donk/lag or weak tighty? ive seen this done with crap, but a mini re-raise is also a sign of big strength - CO and button are probably just fishing for sets or big flops - tought decision but w/o a read I fold. -low stacks; could mean a lot- i think i push

ajmargarine 12-15-2005 02:18 AM

Note: These guys are all donks, maniacs and ATM's...Not a good player amongst them.

LetYouDown 12-15-2005 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
donks, maniacs and ATM's

[/ QUOTE ]
Just saw that...that changes everything. Possibly fold all 3.

DoomSlice 12-15-2005 02:21 AM

Wouldn't that change to possibly calling all 3?