Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Playing the underpair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379881)

kurosh 11-16-2005 07:04 PM

Playing the underpair

3/6. These two recently sat down so no reads.

CO raises. SB calls. I call in the BB with red 55.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
CO bets, call call.

At this point CO has 1.5BB left.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, I bet, CO raises all-in for .5BB more, SB completes the raise and I fold.

11-16-2005 07:12 PM

Re: Playing the underpair

I'd call but not put any more bets in unless hit a 5.

Spicymoose 11-16-2005 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call but not put any more bets in unless hit a 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this plan. SB is betting the river far too often, and we don't have odds to draw.

kurosh 11-16-2005 07:15 PM

Why? I'm beat here nearly always.

11-16-2005 07:18 PM

I misread your post

Sorry when I read 'complete' I rendered "called the 1.5" for some reason. Which made me think he could be drawing, QT or something wierd.

Fold looks good!

admiralfluff 11-16-2005 07:19 PM

This looks ok. Did you consider betting the flop? (I think I would have)

kurosh 11-16-2005 07:22 PM

I don't like a flop bet because his hand range has so many outs against me and I want to see what the other guy does. I think waiting for a good turn card is the best play here.

CIncyHR 11-16-2005 07:22 PM

How bad is checking the turn, assumnig that the CO is going to bet and that way we get to see what the SB does before we put any extra chips in the pot?

Spicymoose 11-16-2005 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is checking the turn, assumnig that the CO is going to bet and that way we get to see what the SB does before we put any extra chips in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this helps too much. SB can easily call with hands we beat, as he will see that CO is almost all in.

admiralfluff 11-16-2005 07:32 PM

Why I like a flop bet-

Because CO is in a steal position and is 1.5BB away from all in, I would estimate his hand range at just about anything. If SB folds, the only card on the turn that gives you a safe fold against CO is a J.

Without reads, we know that to CC preflop SB is between loose with a fairly marginal hand to solid with a fairly good hand. Either way he is not folding this flop for one bet from the guy who is about to go all-in. If our flop bet almost always gets raised here by CO, which I think it does, I really like the protection it could buy us from SB.

You said you wanted to wait to see what SB would do. After checking the flop, the vast majority of the time SB is calling the bet from CO. A fold or raise would be somewhat rare in this spot, maybe a 5%ish kind of thing.