Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Schools, consent forms and volunteering (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402742)

Schneids 12-21-2005 12:00 PM

Schools, consent forms and volunteering

When I was in elementary school one of my favorite experiences was being in a juggling class pretty much every day for four years straight (we had a program called "Explore" at the end of every day, where you selected two different things from a wide variety of classes/subjects/activities, that interested you... such as poetry, spanish, kickball, juggling, etc pretty much whatever the teachers can think of offering). This included being taught how to juggle bean bags, rings, clubs and on up to torches and machetes if the instructor thought you were ready for it. One of the things I don't remember though was ever having to bring a consent/waiver form home to my parents or anything in order to juggle some of those objects.

So I guess, what I'm wondering, is how much of a hassle in today's day in age would it be for someone to teach a juggling class in an elementary school and have 2nd-5th graders juggling torches. I know in my college geology class the TA commented that we didn't take any "field trips" to any geological locations "because the waiver forms and paper work is a total nightmare."

What I do know is the elementary school I attended no longer has this juggling program because the instructor changed schools, so, what I am thinking is if I am in MN next year after I graduate I would like to volunteer there and teach it, but, being able to get kids juggling torches and machetes is a MUST for me to make the experience worth my while.

Juggling torches in 2nd grade is one my sweetest and proudest memories, and I would like to bring that experience to other kids too. Plus, as I've realized at family get togethers and I see my little cousins, is I <3 little kids.

So yeah, is it going to be possible for me, an outsider without a teaching license, to be able to volunteer at my old elementary school 1hr a day to teach juggling AND most importantly be able to get them juggling torches? I know they do welcome volunteers for the Explore program because when I was in HS I did volunteer there about 2-3 times a month for the juggling class as an assistant (while they still had that teacher instructing it).

JordanIB 12-21-2005 12:03 PM

Re: Schools, consent forms and volunteering

I know nothing about this but here's what I'd guess

[ QUOTE ]

So yeah, is it going to be possible for me, an outsider without a teaching license, to be able to volunteer at my old elementary school 1hr a day to teach juggling

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably yes, you'd just have to talk to the right people or find the right way to present it. I'd say try to give it an educational spin.

[ QUOTE ]
AND most importantly be able to get them juggling torches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably helllllllz no.

4_2_it 12-21-2005 12:12 PM

I think most schools would welcome something like this as long as its not too dangerous. My daughter's 3rd grade class has a jump rope team that is quite entertaining.

You should do this. Working with kids is one of the most rewarding things you can do in life.

Schneids 12-21-2005 12:15 PM

But I need the torches and machetes in it or else it's not the same. It's imperative. But I'm not at all familiar with whether our society has gotten so protective and restrictive that this is impossible to do or not.

But I agree, I'd probably enjoy it lots either way.

Edge34 12-21-2005 12:16 PM

I remember how badass it was to see the torches and machetes flying around...I never got past the rings and fumbling the clubs.

I think I'd just go talk to whoever the principal is at Pinewood now. Maybe they'll send you to ISD 196, but I know that there are very few standards for working at a school. My mom works at Glacier Hills in the Special Ed department and has worked with people that have basically no education background. It'd be worth at least a few minutes out of your day to talk to the powers that be.

jaxUp 12-21-2005 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I need the torches and machetes in it or else it's not the same. It's imperative. But I'm not at all familiar with whether our society has gotten so protective and restrictive that this is impossible to do or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be really surprised if you could get away with this. I think the juggling program is a cool idea and you and the kids would probably both get a lot out of it, but I seriously doubt that torches or machetes would be allowed.

kurosh 12-21-2005 01:03 PM

Are you [censored] nuts? They are not going to let elementary school kids within 10 feet of a torch or machete.

WDC 12-21-2005 01:17 PM

As a parent of a two Minnesota elementary school students I am not signing a release to allow a amature juggler to teach my kids how to juggle torches and machetes. Of course, my kids take after me and are quite clumsy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

SmileyEH 12-21-2005 01:17 PM

My highschool had a gun club about 20 years ago. Kids would bring in dad's 306's and go to the range 100 yards from school.

To the OP, I think torches would be ok...machetes probably not. Getting a little burn <<< Slicing a finger. No loss in trying to get the program started anyway.

-SmileyEH

12-21-2005 01:18 PM

If I was the school principle and you came to me with this proposal, I would think to myself "The only juggling this guy is gonna teach these kids is juggling his nuts in their mouth." And then I'd call the cops.