Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Movie Review: The New World (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405501)

andyfox 12-26-2005 06:58 PM

Movie Review: The New World

Beautiful movie. Story of the English settlement at Jamestown and the love story of John Smith and Pocahontas. It's too long and there are too many shots of John Smith's and Pocahontas's hands reaching for each other. But the first act is stunning--the initial contact of the two cultures. And the last act does get you. Mrs. Fox needed three kleenexes. FWIW.

Reminded me a bit of The Piano in its cinematography and voice-over. Almost like a silent movie. There's very little dialogue for long stretches and when somebody speaks it's almost an intrusion.

Definitely worth seeing.

Blarg 12-26-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Movie Review: The New World

Read a rave review in the L.A. Times. Malick's films are definitely like no others. Haven't seen this myself, but probably anyone who likes this one should give Badlands a try. Same director, great stuff.

wacki 12-26-2005 08:46 PM

Terrence Malick wrote and directed the Thin Red Line. Did you guys like that movie too?

Rockatansky 12-26-2005 08:49 PM

Glad to hear that it's good. I was excited when I saw that Malick was coming out with another movie, but the trailers haven't looked all that great.

mikech 12-26-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrence Malick wrote and directed the Thin Red Line. Did you guys like that movie too?

[/ QUOTE ]
i liked thin red line a lot.

i'm looking forward to seeing the new world. in trailers the cinematography simply looks amazing, the way it captures the lush beauty of a wild and unspoiled america. i suspect the film has the same kind of meditative quality found in malick's previous work which some ppl aren't particularly fond of.

Ulysses 12-26-2005 09:14 PM

andy,

Sounds like it reminded you of your younger days, back before the talkies!

hoyaboy1 12-26-2005 09:24 PM

Everyone seems to like the cinematography, but most reviews I've seen say it has little plot, no character development, and terrible pacing - a major problem I had with A Thin Red Line.

There is more to a movie than pretty scenery.

Los Feliz Slim 12-26-2005 09:27 PM

I heard this was sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww. Which is typical of Malick, but I'm told this takes it to new heights.

Still gonna see it, at some point.

Blarg 12-26-2005 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see that one. I saw Badlands and Days of Heaven. He has only made four films so far.

I hear that plenty of people hated The Thin Red Line, but with a guy with Malick's style, it's hard to know how much that means. One thing his films are not, are films for the Everyman.

Dominic 12-26-2005 10:48 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this one...loved Malick's other films...a true master of the medium...not for everyone, but I'm a big fan.