Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Resistance is Useless (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383413)

naphand 11-22-2005 03:39 PM

Resistance is Useless

A hand with a theoretical aspect.

Villain (Vogon, for those who know what this means...) is an habitual bluffer. As the PF aggressor he will not stop betting if facing no resistance.

Paradise Poker 5/10 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Naphand is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(Vogon)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Naphand calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Naphand checks, <font color="#CC3333">Vogon bets</font>, Naphand calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MO"Naphand checks, <font color="#CC3333">Vogon bets</font>, Naphand calls.

River: (5.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Naphand checks, <font color="#CC3333">Vogon bets</font>, Naphand calls.

Am I better off letting opponent bet away to the River when he (1) could be on air, (2) may already have me crushed with only 2 outs and (3) my hand is somewhat vulnerable to overcards?

Wynton 11-22-2005 03:46 PM

Re: Resistance is Useless

Isn't this essentially a wa/wb situation? If so, I guess ordinarily you'd c/c the flop and turn, and lead the river. But since you've stipulated that villain will bet even the river when checked to, how about c/r the river?

I don't think you should be betting just to protect the hand from overcards.

fyodor 11-22-2005 03:50 PM

Generally this type will still call down if they face resistance; they just stop betting themselves. In this case it is probably better to just let him bet away.

With something like 99 where you are vulnerable to a lot of overcards, and he will fold to agression, then it is probably better to bet and take it down.

This is my take, and if it is wrong I would love to know. One more leak could get plugged. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

naphand 11-22-2005 03:53 PM

No Wynton.

This is a situation where you may not be way ahead but you could be way behind. Any T/J/Q/A could kill your hand.

27offsooot 11-22-2005 04:00 PM

Wow. 3-bet PF, bet the flop, if raised, i would be content to call down at that point or three bet if player is a maniac. As played, c/r somewhere. Anywhere. Flop, turn, river, just do it. (Okay, so river wouldn't be that great, but flop or turn would be dandy, and i'd pick flop).

Wynton 11-22-2005 04:01 PM

Then I guess I'm confused. If villain has AQ or J10, he's got six outs (as of the flop, at least). I thought six outs counted as being way behind.

PokerNoob 11-22-2005 04:10 PM

If he's the type to fire the last barrel after you keep calling on drawless boards, then I like it. Still, I'm tempted to 3-bet and lead. You have a lot of equity vs. his probable range.

Girchuck 11-22-2005 04:20 PM

if he'll fold one overcard to the check-raise, but will call with two, then check-raising is probably wrong, unless there is a specific message you want to send for future hands

aba20 11-22-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then I guess I'm confused. If villain has AQ or J10, he's got six outs (as of the flop, at least). I thought six outs counted as being way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Six outs is alot. WA/WB would be 2 maybe 3 outs. But this is all depends on the pot size in realation to the number of outs.

StellarWind 11-22-2005 04:24 PM

If you are comfortable that he will fire another barrel on the river then inducing a river bluff by checking is OK. But I really think you should checkraise because your hand is just too good versus the final board and I think he'll pay with an ace or middle pair to see what you are doing.