Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Game Platform For Young Children? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=158116)

Drac 12-06-2004 03:02 PM

Best Game Platform For Young Children?

The grandparents have offered to buy a video game platform for my kids. While I don't know that we'll even allow this to happen yet, I'm curious as to what system would be the best for a 6 year old. Obviously I'm looking at games like Pac Man or other non violent, kid oriented programs. I'd really like to get some help here as I'm completely clueless. I do all my gaming on a PC and don't know diddly squat about the XBox, PS2, etc. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

jakethebake 12-06-2004 03:05 PM

Re: Best Game Platform For Young Children?

[ QUOTE ]
The grandparents have offered to buy a video game platform for my kids. While I don't know that we'll even allow this to happen yet, I'm curious as to what system would be the best for a 6 year old. Obviously I'm looking at games like Pac Man or other non violent, kid oriented programs. I'd really like to get some help here as I'm completely clueless. I do all my gaming on a PC and don't know diddly squat about the XBox, PS2, etc. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

[/ QUOTE ]
My wife and I decided our kids would have video games when they bought them for themselves. The best game platform for kids is still the backyard IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

elwoodblues 12-06-2004 03:07 PM

Nintendo has usually aimed at more non-violent games than the others. That might be changing, but I would suspect it is the way to go.

Matty 12-06-2004 03:08 PM

N64

YourFoxyGrandma 12-06-2004 03:08 PM

I'll second that. PS2 and Xbox are very geared towards older, more violence-hungry gamers, at least moreso than gamecube.

WEASEL45 12-06-2004 03:08 PM

Nintendo gamecube

Drac 12-06-2004 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I decided our kids would have video games when they bought them for themselves. The best game platform for kids is still the backyard IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for the most part which is why I haven't decided if we'll even go this route. It's a lot easier to send the kids to the back yard in January in Miami than in Minnesota.

Matty 12-06-2004 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nintendo gamecube

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, that's what I meant to say.

stabn 12-06-2004 03:24 PM

You definitely want to get them the gamecube. That or a game boy advance SP. That way they can take it with them on car trips, airplanes, etc. Nintendo owns the young market, since they've been catering to them for years. Both Xbox and PS2 have less games for youngers and, frankly, most of the ones they do have suck.

namknils 12-06-2004 03:26 PM

Leapfrog.

It's educational.