Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   AJs preflop. cap or call? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=290264)

MarkSummers 07-10-2005 09:08 PM

AJs preflop. cap or call?

game is 10/20 full handed with 46% seeing flop, a bunch of loose aggressives playing.

I'm UTG+1 and open raise with AJ spades. UTG+2 cold calls and MP 1 3 bets. MP2 calls 3 cold and the bb calls. Back to me. Cap or call? Or does it really matter?

DcifrThs 07-10-2005 11:17 PM

Re: AJs preflop. cap or call?

cap.

-Barron

x vikram 07-11-2005 12:09 AM

If i was you and i did not have a strong read on the raiser i would call because there are few hands, from a RR, that you can beat and many will have you dominated. The other callers out there probably wont fold to another raise due to the insane amount of "pot odds" they may thinky that they are getting, being UTG doesnt help either as it appears they dont respect position therefore by putting you first to act even if a flop comes:

A 10 2

And you come in for a raise, followed by the pre flop RRer Re Reasing you bet, when the action folds to you would you call in the hope of possibly being up against a draw pair that missed a set? If i dont have a read on the player i would play it safe and fold if not call till the river.

This is the main reason i would just call pre flop, you could be in big trouble if you were up agasint AQ, AK.

DeezNutz3 07-11-2005 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

xniNja 07-11-2005 09:08 AM

call... even in an aggressive game you probably aren't capping the best hand or even the best draw. If you don't see some jacks or some spades your hand is worthless.. and if you see an Ace you *should* be playing it slow.

JimmyV 07-11-2005 09:31 AM

Capping increases variance with no likely benefit, and yes, of course, you may be dominated. Don't do it unless you really have specific reads that give you an idea about the way you're going to make a move for the pot later if the board is a certain way.

Fundamentally I think capping is foolish in this scenario unless you've really thought your reasons through.

JimmyV

SoBeDude 07-11-2005 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cap.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuk.

-Scott

ike 07-11-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it unless you really have specific reads that give you an idea about the way you're going to make a move for the pot later if the board is a certain way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly and irrelevant. There are like 57435 LAGs in this already huge pot, no one is taking it away. The cap would be a value bet plain and simple.

SoBeDude 07-11-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't do it unless you really have specific reads that give you an idea about the way you're going to make a move for the pot later if the board is a certain way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly and irrelevant. There are like 57435 LAGs in this already huge pot, no one is taking it away. The cap would be a value bet plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has only 4 opponents in the hand, and he is not ahead preflop. Capping here is not a +EV play and in fact, flies in the face of TOP concepts.

-Scott

brick 07-11-2005 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and in fact, flies in the face of TOP concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think capping is usually right. But this statement is not true. It is very possible that a cap with AJ could cause AK or AQ to fold incorrectly later in the hand.

For example: you cap, the flop misses AK, your opponent folds, and AJs holds up unimproved.