Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   UTG hands (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392671)

oxymoron 12-06-2005 02:41 PM

UTG hands

First a little background where I currently play. I am a bonus whore currently. I am on a goal to hit 10k by June (started in Oct.) and I think the best way is to chase them bonii. Currently I am on target but I would be way ahead if I was a better player.

As a result of chasing bonuses, there are a lot of sites where the play is extremely tight. In another play I indicated that I fold KJs UTG and was told it is a mistake. Perhaps it is at party where you can find a fishy 2/4 or 5/10 table but I think at the tighter tables this will lose you money.

So, at tight tables what are you limping with (if anything) UTG? I play 2/4 to 5/10 depending on where I think it is best to sit.

krimson 12-06-2005 02:51 PM

Re: UTG hands

Tighter tables mean you should be open-raising more hands and attacking their nit'ness. Like raising KJs UTG.

12-06-2005 03:47 PM

Check out this recent thread.

crunchy1 12-06-2005 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tighter tables mean you should be open-raising more hands and attacking their nit'ness. Like raising KJs UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's dangerous to automatically bundle the table dynamic "weakness" into the table dynamic "tightness". It may be correct to raise that hand in a weak/tight game. It would not be correct to raise that hand in a tight/aggressive game.

We also shouldn't discount the factor that hands like this clearly fall into the gray area in terms of profitability. Those with solid post-flop skills are going to make these hands profitable while those with mediocre/poor post-flop skills are, at best, just adding variance to their game; more likely the bad players are turning a zero EV decision (in folding) into a -EV decision by playing the hand OOP.

oxymoron 12-06-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's dangerous to automatically bundle the table dynamic "weakness" into the table dynamic "tightness". It may be correct to raise that hand in a weak/tight game. It would not be correct to raise that hand in a tight/aggressive game.

We also shouldn't discount the factor that hands like this clearly fall into the gray area in terms of profitability. Those with solid post-flop skills are going to make these hands profitable while those with mediocre/poor post-flop skills are, at best, just adding variance to their game; more likely the bad players are turning a zero EV decision (in folding) into a -EV decision by playing the hand OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. So, I would add that most of the tables I play the preflop action is typically aggressive. If not, I adjust and begin to play looser.

Thanks for the link I will check it out.