Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AK squeeze play--good,bad, awful? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402529)

jsnipes28 12-21-2005 01:47 AM

AK squeeze play--good,bad, awful?

How bad is this (attempt at) squeeze play?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($109.15)
BB ($280)
Hero ($98)
MP ($92)
CO ($52.65)
Button ($97)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1, [color=#CC3333]MP raises to $2</font>, [color=#CC3333]CO raises to $5</font>, Button calls $5, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, BB calls $4, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $98</font>,

jsnipes28 12-21-2005 02:22 AM

Re: AK squeeze play--good,bad, awful?

Is this an extremely boring hand? Thinking about it now i believe i should have raised to like 40 and folded to a push from anyone other than CO.

12-21-2005 02:28 AM

Hmmm...can't say that I really like it. I think with all the action behind your original limp you can assume that you're looking at at least one PP 88 or better, and at this level I think you'll get called down by a pair (this is small-stakes poker after all.) Granted, you could just as easily be looking at hands like A10 or AJ for MP and AQ for the cutoff, but without a read I would put CO on 1010, JJ, or QQ. As for your push - if you read MP or the cutoff for a pair, you're pushing knowing you're at best a slight dog b/c I think they will call - and keep in mind MP has not acted again - his minraise could be KK or AA making a "sweetener" raise (although since you hold AK this isn't likely but isn't impossible).

Honestly, the more I think and write I'm not sure what I'd do here. Half of me would want to fold, but the devil on my shoulder would want me to make a push. But since I think your push is going to be called by a LOT of PP's, I'm not sure I'd push knowing I'm in a flip. Usually I want to be pretty sure I can get some folds if I shove with AK. Tough hand though bro.

jsnipes28 12-21-2005 02:33 AM

Remember this is a limp-reraise for me so i assume that i am folding out TT and worse. You think 88 or 77 are calling me here as either 55/45 favorites or 80/20 dogs?

Huhmare 12-21-2005 03:00 AM

Question. Why not just see the flop and fold the hand if you miss?

jsnipes28 12-21-2005 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question. Why not just see the flop and fold the hand if you miss?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because then i am playing a 6-way raised pot OOP with oogles of pocket pairs who are looking to spike a set. This allows me to take it down preflop or get it heads up where an A or K means i am good.
I certainly don't think my line is best but i hate calling here.

bruin 12-21-2005 03:49 AM

I don't like it. What's wrong with just calling here? If it's a six way pot then you almost assuredly have pot equity with your AK. If you miss the flop then you can fold, simple as that.

Huhmare 12-21-2005 03:53 AM

But if somebody calls you with a pocket pair? Then you are still behind..

bruin 12-21-2005 03:56 AM

I'm not sure what you're getting at. AK is a drawing hand, it's supposed to be behind. Seeing a flop here is +EV because you have pot equity over your opponents (most likely) weaker holdings. If you push here you may run into a coin flip (which is not preferable or even +EV at times in cash) or be dominated.

c_strong 12-21-2005 08:02 AM

I think this is very risky with deep money and is probably -EV. Frankly it looks like FPS to me. You could have avoided this by not limping AK UTG but raising like you should. It's an OK move with a short stack, but deep you're more likely to be way behind if you get called.