Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A general question about 4th street (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365337)

ddubois 10-25-2005 06:12 PM

A general question about 4th street

How large of a mistake would it be to always mindlessly fold 4th street when you've bricked? I intend to include hands, wherein you have otherwise ideal circumstances, into this strategy; for instance, 3 to a straight flush with nearly 0 dead cards, and multiple overcards to your opponent's board, who also happens to be a manaic and might be betting jack high.

Obviously anything that uses the words "always" and "mindlessly" in poker must be wrong, but would it be a very small mistake?

10-25-2005 06:27 PM

Re: A general question about 4th street

It would be a big mistake. For one thing, 4th street is a half bet, so you can be a little looser (unless someone paird their door, in which case you can feel free to mindlessly fold). In the specific example you gave, I'd bet 4th and maybe even 5th.

However, I think there's lots and lots of hands where you call 1 bet on 4th and fold 5th unimproved.

beta1607 10-25-2005 06:54 PM

Folding is by far the worst of your three options in the situation you describe.

Stud is a much more complex game then some other forms of poker so you shouldn't be doing anything "mindlessly"

ddubois 10-25-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously anything that uses the words "always" and "mindlessly" in poker must be wrong, but would it be a very small mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Stud is a much more complex game then some other forms of poker so you shouldn't be doing anything "mindlessly"

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

10-25-2005 07:55 PM

It would be a much smaller mistake to never fold fourth for a single half-bet than to adopt your strategy (providing you play reasonably tight on third).

ddubois 10-25-2005 08:00 PM

I'm confused. In this thread one poster says that he would fold three to a royal on fourth street merely because there are two dead hearts. The fact that other responders in that thread would call left me with the impression that it was a close call. Is the difference between 2 dead cards and 0 dead card as huge as being represented here?

Again, I'm not asking about the correctness of such a strategy, just how large of an error it would be to adopt said strategy.

beta1607 10-25-2005 09:08 PM

next time just quote the important part of the post:

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is by far the worst of your three options in the situation you describe.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-25-2005 10:25 PM

always?/never? no easy answers for poker---but---there are several considerations if you are looking for ways in which to make a decision easier if a 'brick' comes.
If you are on a mid/low 3 flush, and a couple are dead I'd get out. If I had an overcard or two I might pick one off, esp. with an ace. If the pot is large, you can call even with the mid flush. Sounds simple, but take a sec and ask yourself---how live are my cards? If I make a high pair will it likely be good? Has there been enough action to go for a semi-longshot? Am I looking at hands that are looking like better draws than the one I might pick up?