Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CNN- Poker seen fading in the US (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405057)

AA suited 12-25-2005 06:04 PM

CNN- Poker seen fading in the US

CNN

"The industry's luck seems to be running out as boxed sets of cards and chips are discounted, ratings fade for some poker-themed television shows and shares of a poker-linked stock slump. "

oh nose... the sky is falling.. time to start looking for a real job

GrannyMae 12-25-2005 06:33 PM

Re: CNN- Poker seen fading in the US

[ QUOTE ]
CNN

"The industry's luck seems to be running out as boxed sets of cards and chips are discounted, ratings fade for some poker-themed television shows and shares of a poker-linked stock slump. "

oh nose... the sky is falling.. time to start looking for a real job

[/ QUOTE ]

this figure is less than party makes in a month

[ QUOTE ]
There are signs that interest is waning in the $150 million industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

article is referring to live games.

[ QUOTE ]
Industry group American Gaming Association found the level of interest in poker rose significantly in 2004, with consumer spending on the game in Nevada and New Jersey increasing to $151.7 million, or 45 percent over the previous year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sciolist 12-25-2005 08:32 PM

I think it's quite significant that there're media stories about the falloff in poker. Whether it's true or not, media outlets like CNN form opinion. Their power doesn't neccessarily lie in reporting the truth, it lies in reporting what becomes conventional wisdom.

smb394 12-25-2005 08:33 PM

This is the same article that has been posted twice in NVG. I guess all of the major publications are pulling it off the Reuters wire.

For a more optimistic view, I posted a NY Times article yesterday, "Wall Street Betting on Online Gaming." Much better written.

12-25-2005 11:04 PM

can you link the thread, I've been wanting to read this article, but can't find it

12-25-2005 11:17 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/bu.../25gamble.html

cardcounter0 12-25-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
boxed sets of cards and chips are discounted

[/ QUOTE ]

Once every man, woman, and child has already bought a set of cards and chips, sales are going to slump. How many sets of chips does the average fish need?

[ QUOTE ]
ratings fade for some poker-themed television shows

[/ QUOTE ]

Since poker has been on almost 24/7 somewhere on the tube for a year or two, and we are treated with such fare as semi-famous owner's pets poker, it is understandable that some show's ratings will fade. Especially since ESPN is broadcasting WSOP heavy duty.

[ QUOTE ]
shares of a poker-linked stock slump

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be the WPT failed buy out slump, or the Empire Party Poker split slump?

Shoe 12-26-2005 12:02 AM

I think it goes something like this:

1. See poker on TV.
2. Start watching poker on TV.
3. Buy chips and cards because of poker on TV.
4. Start playing poker yourself.
5. Buy more chips and cards.
6. Play more poker.
7. Stop buying chips and cards because you have enough to play with.
8. Play more poker.
9. Stop watching TV so you can play more poker.
10. Play more poker.
11. Play more poker.
12. Play more poker.
13. Play more poker.
14. Play more poker.

I could go on... there is a big difference between sales/ratings slump and a decrease in the actual number of players. Poker/gambling is an addictive/compulsive hobby/job/whatever that keeps everyone coming back for more.

imported_leader 12-26-2005 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it goes something like this:

1. See poker on TV.
2. Start watching poker on TV.
3. Buy chips and cards because of poker on TV.
4. Start playing poker yourself.
5. Buy more chips and cards.
6. Play more poker.
7. Stop buying chips and cards because you have enough to play with.
8. Play more poker.
9. Stop watching TV so you can play more poker.
10. Play more poker.
11. Play more poker.
12. Play more poker.
13. Play more poker.
14. Play more poker.

I could go on... there is a big difference between sales/ratings slump and a decrease in the actual number of players. Poker/gambling is an addictive/compulsive hobby/job/whatever that keeps everyone coming back for more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I watch much less poker on TV then I used to. Of course, I don't represent everyone, but I think watching NL poker tourneys over and over gets a little dry. Especially since you could just do play one yourself fairly easily for very little money.

smb394 12-26-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I watch much less poker on TV then I used to. Of course, I don't represent everyone, but I think watching NL poker tourneys over and over gets a little dry. Especially since you could just do play one yourself fairly easily for very little money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of this. I differ in that I play limit ring games, so there's even less appeal to these TV tournaments from my vantage point.