Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Folding Rivers After Turn Raises (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=371643)

gaming_mouse 11-04-2005 05:58 AM

Folding Rivers After Turn Raises

No Reads.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

sthief09 11-04-2005 06:15 AM

Re: Folding Rivers After Turn Raises

when I see a hand like this I work backward

going back to the turn, I look at your odds and think you're probably slightly +EV to call there, but the slightly part suggests that maybe you put in too many bets. it's highly unlikely you're good.

but going back, I think your flop play has to be right. I don't like calling and donking there. it doesn't do anything that 3-betting the flop doesn't.

so it's one of those hands where you're thinking "I must've done something wrong" but you probably didn't. you had a hand you though was best, and you just happened to have 6 outs when you found out it's not.

as for the river, I think that's a fold against a 5/10 unknown

JDalla 11-04-2005 06:30 AM

I disagree. I say you call the river. People make crazy plays against me all the time like this with something like AK or even KJ or 22.

Maybe the way I play inspires people to make these moves on me, but I will often not even donk or 3 bet the flop, as the opponent will often bet every street regardless vs. me.

sthief09 11-04-2005 06:32 AM

if you want to call the river then I definitely don't like how the rest of the hand played out.

11-04-2005 07:47 AM

Getting 10-1, this board is a crying call with Ace-Big or better.

Not sure how this could go differently (call the flop and donk the turn doesn't make anything different.

Possibly call the flop and try for a CR the turn, but I'm not sure this does anything but spew chips when you're behind.

Maybe check call the turn but that seems weak for top pair, even on a straight board (you really don't want to give free card to a guy who raised an open ender on the flop).

No way this is a fold on the river though, especially against an unknown. AK A3 A6 88 63 T3 are all hands the BB could be playing like this and you have beat.

gaming_mouse 11-04-2005 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

as for the river, I think that's a fold against a 5/10 unknown

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks josh. those were all my thoughts exactly. just wanted a sanity check.

krishanleong 11-04-2005 09:26 AM

I think it's a call. Against a limper it's a fold. Against a poster I think you will see a counterfeit T6 or T3 enough to make it profitable.

Krishan

RunDownHouse 11-04-2005 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 10-1, this board is a crying call with Ace-Big or better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Say what? If somehow you managed to get to the river this way with AK, its a very very easy fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe check call the turn but that seems weak for top pair, even on a straight board (you really don't want to give free card to a guy who raised an open ender on the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're 3betting the flop and then checking the turn? Why wouldn't you just call the flop raise instead of 3betting if that's your plan?

[ QUOTE ]
No way this is a fold on the river though, especially against an unknown. AK A3 A6 88 63 T3 are all hands the BB could be playing like this and you have beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd need a specific read to think a poster is checking his AK, and then popping both the flop and turn on me with it UI. Ditto for A3 and A6. You're also ahead of T6.

paperboyNC 11-04-2005 10:00 AM

The river is a very easy call. You simply can't fold here. You only have to be right 10% of the time to show a long-term profit.

gaming_mouse 11-04-2005 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a call. Against a limper it's a fold. Against a poster I think you will see a counterfeit T6 or T3 enough to make it profitable.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan,

Let me ask you another question. Would you ever consider s n' go on the turn instead of the flop 3 bet, or is the 3bet mandatory?