Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What plasma should I buy? cont... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=264672)

DonButtons 06-02-2005 09:36 PM

What plasma should I buy? cont...

Ok, I posted this thread a little while ago, and went with the results and decided that buying a plasma tv for a dorm room was not a good idea, and now the time has come, and Im looking to buy one for my house.

My budget for the whole plasma set up is $3000 total. I want a good 42" HD plasma with 1024 x 764 resolution.

So far my friend recommended this plasma, linky, amd here are some details from the panasonic site, linky2 .

I also found this plasma, which was very cheap and looked decent, heres the link

Any other suggestions, I kind of want the plasma to come with speakers now, and I will upgrade to a surrond sound system later. Any tips/suggestions please!

Cubswin 06-02-2005 09:38 PM

Re: What plasma should I buy? cont...

Wait til this bad boy becomes available.

cubs

ggbman 06-02-2005 09:44 PM

At Costco their is a 42 inch AKAI plasma TV for $1500.

DonButtons 06-02-2005 09:45 PM

its a LCD, my friend told me to avoid them, not so sure, but I like the resolution.

DonButtons 06-02-2005 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Costco their is a 42 inch AKAI plasma TV for $1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this tv HD?

gvibes 06-02-2005 11:27 PM

Panasonic makes nice plasmas, but I have no idea why you'd avoid LCD's.

david050173 06-03-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Panasonic makes nice plasmas, but I have no idea why you'd avoid LCD's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note westinghouse also has a 37 inch lcd which is actually shipping that does 1080

LCDs tend to have poor blacks, slightly off colors, and the refresh rate can sometimes be an issue. They have gotten a lot better in the latest models and I bet the next gen will probably be as good a plasma (which is still a notch below a really good crt). The panasonic has the best picture among normal plasmas (ie I don't follow the 8k+ plus market). You wish its resoultion was higher though but that really will not be an issue until you start watching a lot of HD (for DVDs it doesn't matter). LCDs do use half the power and you don't have to worry about burn in.

I haven't seen the cheap HD plasmas (3g and walmart has one also) yet but I am guessing that they are last years glass. Wether a slightly better picture is worth 1K is up to you. I would definitely wait until some reviews are out.

jakethebake 06-03-2005 04:48 PM

This is extremely difficult to answer w/o knowing your blood type.

istewart 06-03-2005 04:48 PM

NH