Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Does Torre get fired if Yankees lose game 7? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=138105)

mikeyvegas 10-20-2004 12:27 AM

Does Torre get fired if Yankees lose game 7?

Just curious what others think on this.

Toro 10-20-2004 12:28 AM

Re: Does Torre get fired if Yankees lose game 7?

Not a chance!

ThaSaltCracka 10-20-2004 12:29 AM

nope, if they lose its because they have average starting pitching and numbers 6-9 hitters that strike out entirely to much.

mikeyvegas 10-20-2004 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nope, if they lose its because they have average starting pitching and numbers 6-9 hitters that strike out entirely to much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying he would deserve it, but you never know what the Boss will do when he gets riled up.

ThaSaltCracka 10-20-2004 12:34 AM

[censored], he can fire him if he wants. Maybe Seattle will go after him then.

sublime 10-20-2004 12:35 AM

I'm not saying he would deserve it, but you never know what the Boss will do when he gets riled up.

face reality

sooner or later spending loads of cash on older veterens and trading away all your youth catches up with you

regardless of game 7 outcome, these are two great baseball teams

andyfox 10-20-2004 12:40 AM

I've been ragging on their starting pitching all year, but in fact, their starting pitching has been excellent this post-season. The only day it was bad they scored 19 runs. Leiber threw one bad pitch and, even so, held the Sox to 4 runs in 7 innings.

The problem with their starting pitching is that it was so mediocre all year, that Gordon and Rivera are not quite what they were earlier in the year. And Quantrill is nowhere near what he was.

andyfox 10-20-2004 12:45 AM

Actually . . .

Rivera only threw 139 more pitches this year than in 2003. And he had a lower OPS against than in 2003.

And Gordon threw only 103 more pitches than he threw in 2003. And he to had a lower OPS against.

Gordon just hasn't pitched well in the post-season. And Rivera's two "blown" saves actually consist of allowing on ly one run in four appearances.

andyfox 10-20-2004 12:48 AM

I disagree. Rivera get the Sox out in the 9th inning of game 4 and we're talking about what a great team this was to dispatch a terrific Red Sox team in four straight. Matsui's drive in the 6th is two feet to the left and the series is over in five.

Don't misunderstand me: the team that deserved to win won every game this series. The Red Sox deserved to win the last three games.

But the Yankees have been in the playoffs ten straight years, been to six world series, and won four. They won 101 games this year, the most in the league. Steinbrenner is indeed spending loads of cash, but he's spending wisely.

sublime 10-20-2004 12:55 AM

is he spending it wisely, or does he have such a large margin for error that it doesn't matter?