Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Best Player in the NBA is . . . (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404525)

Taraz 12-24-2005 07:06 AM

The Best Player in the NBA is . . .

I have no clue. I was thinking about this a little while ago and I couldn't come up with any clear names.

Shaq definitely isn't the Shaq of old.

Kobe might be the best perimeter player, but I have reservations about annointing him until he stops jacking up crazy shots at ill-advised times. (I'm a huge Lakers/Kobe fan btw.)

Tracy McGrady is pretty good, but disappears a lot.

Steve Nash is the reigning MVP and he's fun to watch, but there is no way he's #1.

Allen Iverson is awesome, especially now that he's learned to pass effectively. But he doesn't feel like the one.

Lebron is a beast . . . who plays zero defense.

Dwayne Wade needs a jump shot.

Tim Duncan can do it all, but he's just so boring.

Who is the one? And why?

lastchance 12-24-2005 07:29 AM

Re: The Best Player in the NBA is . . .

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This can't be a legit argument against Tim Duncan being the best player in the league, can it?

12-24-2005 07:53 AM

Miami without Shaq- still a playoff team probably

Lakers without Kobe- pretty bad but as it is with him they are borderline playoffs

Rockets without Tmac- ugly as hell, but last year proved they need a lot of production from the PG position as well.

Suns without Nash- probably ugly, but this year proved how much of a big impact Amare, Q rich, and Joe Johnson had, but mainly Amare

Lebron- needs to produce in the playoffs first

Dwayne Wade- cant be in this conversation yet

Spurs without Duncan- from the best team in the league to a very average team

Im going with Duncan right now.

UCF THAYER 12-24-2005 08:14 AM

Are you guys purposely not mentioning Kevin Garnett?
Does the title say "besides Kevin Garnett" in white letters or something?

Taraz 12-24-2005 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys purposely not mentioning Kevin Garnett?
Does the title say "besides Kevin Garnett" in white letters or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I'd forget somebody. I feel sorry for him since he seems to be so off the map in Minnesota.

Taraz 12-24-2005 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This can't be a legit argument against Tim Duncan being the best player in the league, can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't really meant to be. I really like Duncan's game. I guess the reason I'm hesitant to say he's the best player is because he just does everything right but nothing incredibly well. That could be a good argument for why he's the best however.

12-24-2005 08:26 AM

KG is definately up there, but ill take Duncan with much more of an inside presence

Jack of Arcades 12-24-2005 08:40 AM

This seems pretty easily Duncan to me but I don't [censored] about the NBA, really.

Last year's "On/Off" numbers if you want to go that direction, put Duncan, Kidd, Manu, Dirk, and Nash as the most important to their teams.

UCF THAYER 12-24-2005 09:03 AM

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings?null

These are last year's numbers.

1. KG
2. Duncan
3. Shaq
4. Amare
5. Dirk

UCF THAYER 12-24-2005 09:05 AM

This is this year's : http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

1. Brand
2. Lebron
3. Iverson
4. Dirk
5. KG

Jack of Arcades 12-24-2005 09:14 AM

PER is on ESPN? Sweet!

Hornacek 12-24-2005 09:25 AM

How about the Detroit Pistons starting 5?

UCF THAYER 12-24-2005 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

holeplug 12-24-2005 10:17 AM

Tim Duncan.....he'll have 5 or 6 rings in a couple of years too

KG is 1a but I always thought Duncan was a little better than him.

Shaq - just can't do it everynight anymore but he still is the best in a 1 game situation

Kobe - I agree hes the best perimeter player

Tmac - Kobe is a little better than him

Steve Nash - haha

AI - hes certainly having a crazy season so far. Shooting like 45% from the floor too.

Lebron - give him 3 or 4 years and he will be the MVP every year

Wade - Lebron is just better than him

12-24-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Miami without Shaq- still a playoff team probably

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably cuz they're in a weak division, but they were really struggling without him for the month or so he was out. If he could stay healthy he would be the one hands down, but health should definitely be taken into consideration.

[ QUOTE ]
Dwayne Wade- cant be in this conversation yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Maybe I'm biased, but he has as much raw talent and potential as anyone in the league. I think he still has some growing up to do, but when motivated he can take the game into his hands as well as anyone other player. Overshadowed by LeBron & Carmelo in the draft, Wade's proved more than enough to me.

Vote4Pedro 12-24-2005 12:50 PM

I'd take Shaq over everybody on this list...

He's gotten lazy, but I still think he can still turn "it" on when/if he wants to.

After Shaq, I like Duncan, Nash, Bron-Bron, in no particular order

pudley4 12-24-2005 01:37 PM

Duncan
Shaq
KG
Lebron
Amare

Sadat X 12-24-2005 02:14 PM

Duncan is clearly the best player in the NBA. He's got a post-up game, consistently puts up great numbers, stays healthy (unlike Shaq) and wins titles.

AI is the best perimeter player IMO. Just look at the numbers. 33 ppg, over 8 apg, and 2 spg shooting 45% from the field. He's unguardable one-on-one and will take and make big shots down the stretch. Kobe is a close 2nd, but his playmaking ability is nowhere near Iverson's and that's why he's #2.

Hornacek 12-24-2005 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's cool i'll take 65+ wins and a few more titles then.

Clarkmeister 12-24-2005 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but [Wade] has as much raw talent and potential as anyone in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Wade is nice, but James has top 4 all-time NBA potential.

wonderwes 12-24-2005 07:31 PM

You can't play this by just player. You have to decide the best person for each position

PG A.I.
SG Kobe
SF Lebron
PF KG
C Shaq

Its a crime for me to leave Tim Duncan off this list. But I have to go by the past few years and their production this year. When it comes down to playoff time, Shaq will be harder to stop than Duncan.

UCF THAYER 12-24-2005 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the Pistons starting 5 is better than a lineup of :
PG : Iverson
SG : Lebron
SF : Dirk
PF : KG
C : Duncan

Jack of Arcades 12-24-2005 07:42 PM

UCF,

especially since Detroit is no longer a top defensive team in the year's past...

holeplug 12-24-2005 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be suprised if they won anymore titles. Unfortunately for them they are running into Tim Duncan in his prime.

Hornacek 12-25-2005 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be suprised if they won anymore titles. Unfortunately for them they are running into Tim Duncan in his prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good game today Spurs. True we can't tell until Ginobili comes back for sure, but we're one Sheed boneheaded play from being back to back champs.

Don't worry the Pistons are used to getting no respect. We'll just keep on showing people in the post season. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] w00tw000t

and ucf, for sure your five are better... I was just saying, teamwork is cool too. The most talent doesn't necessarily guarantee titles, as we've seen at the World Championships and the Olympics.

UCF THAYER 12-25-2005 07:38 PM

I was just saying that making a statement such as "The Detroit Pistons starting 5 are the 5 best players in the NBA" is extremely ridiculous.

tbach24 12-25-2005 08:47 PM

RAEF LAFRENTZ IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN MICHAEL JORDAN COULD EVER HAVE BEEN

ZZzzZZzzZZzz

PS: Don't tell anyone I made this post, as I am making it from the OFFICE FAGGOTS.

Hornacek 12-25-2005 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just saying that making a statement such as "The Detroit Pistons starting 5 are the 5 best players in the NBA" is extremely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, maybe I wasn't clear, but I was saying, how about the Pistons starting 5 as the best "player", kinda a stretch. But I've heard pundits say that the Pistons starting 5 should get consideration for MVP, since they play so well together. Bill Walton said Billups needs to be considered as well. Obviously LeBron is more talented than Prince, and KG than Sheed, but I still like the chemistry the Stones have.

banditbdl 12-26-2005 12:10 AM

Boring or not, its Duncan and I really don't think it is all that close right now. IMO the Best Player should be defined as the guy who gives you the best chance to win the Title. To do this you have to be able to dominate individually and elevate your teammates level of play just by being on the court.

Duncan is just so damn solid, he's an excellent, excellent defender, very good rebounder, and his post game opens up all the cutting lanes for Parker and Ginobli and all of Bowen's 3s. I've thought the last 2-3 yrs. the best player debate has come down to KG and Duncan, with the difference being Duncan's more productive game in the post. KG has a glaring tendency to settle for jumpers and fadeaways that Duncan avoids by taking it down to the middle. KG catching the ball too far out and settling for the outside shot has killed a mediocre Twolves team multiple times down the stretch in close games this year.

Kobe and TMac are no where close to the best player in the NBA. You can't be the best player in the NBA playing the 2 or 3 unless you make your teammates a lot better (i.e. Jordan, Magic, Bird) and neither of these guys makes their teammates much better at all. Neither of these guys seem to "get it" and I'm thinking they never will.

Shaq of course is too old.

Nash is a great QB, but he's gawdawful at D.

AI deserves serious consideration cuz he can make his teammates better and is a force on both ends.

LeBron is on his way, but not there yet.

Dwayne Wade is very good but is another little guy that doesn't make his teammates better enough.

The title is Duncan's until LeBron or another young guy comes up to take it away from him.

Isura 12-27-2005 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Boring or not, its Duncan and I really don't think it is all that close right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

12-27-2005 01:20 PM

Not the biggest fan, but it's Duncan. I think an inside player gets more billing than a perimeter guy, cuz great post players can do more for their teams. There are a few exceptions, but I would build a team around Wilt rather than one around MJ. There's no perimeter guy in the game today that is so dominant that he outshines the best post players. This could change w/ Lebron in a few years. Watch this guy develop. I couldn't have imagined a player like him.

By position 1 to 5:
AI, Kobe, Bron, TD, Shaq

KG (who will never win it) over everyone other than TD. This guy does everything and does it really well.

Best guard is Kobe. CWebb has helped AI bump up his FG%, and Kobe gets tougher defensive assignments.

Bulldog 12-27-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no clue. I was thinking about this a little while ago and I couldn't come up with any clear names.

Shaq definitely isn't the Shaq of old.

Kobe might be the best perimeter player, but I have reservations about annointing him until he stops jacking up crazy shots at ill-advised times. (I'm a huge Lakers/Kobe fan btw.)

Tracy McGrady is pretty good, but disappears a lot.

Steve Nash is the reigning MVP and he's fun to watch, but there is no way he's #1.

Allen Iverson is awesome, especially now that he's learned to pass effectively. But he doesn't feel like the one.

Lebron is a beast . . . who plays zero defense.

Dwayne Wade needs a jump shot.

Who is the one? And why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Iverson, over the last 60 games or so (going back into the end of last season)

johnnybeef 12-27-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry the Pistons are used to getting no respect. We'll just keep on showing people in the post season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like last year?

Hornacek 12-27-2005 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry the Pistons are used to getting no respect. We'll just keep on showing people in the post season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like last year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so! Getting to Game 7 of the Finals and being one quarter away from Back to Back titles is nothing to sneeze at!

Oh, and if you were being sarcastic, I think you need to reevaluate what "success" is. 22-3 what what!

ThaSaltCracka 12-27-2005 05:05 PM

The Pistons get no love from me because they can't blow out the Blazers.

12-27-2005 05:13 PM

pound for pound I'd say Iverson.

Also, people underrate James' passing abilities. He could become the best passer in the league if he was forced to be. Of course this will never be the case so it won't happen. His instincts are impeccable.

CCx 12-27-2005 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, people underrate James' passing abilities.... His instincts are impeccable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who 'people' are, but Nike went out of their way to make a whole commercial based around the theme of Lebron's "court-vision" and passing skills....so someone noticed.

12-28-2005 12:12 AM

It's not Garnett. Duncan plays the same position, and is much better.

Should be Kevin Arnett, no G in his game.

Aytumious 12-28-2005 01:05 AM

Garnett is the most skilled considering his size and has one of the best overall packages of talent and freakish athleticism ever to enter the league. Duncan, however, is a better player because of his superior understanding of the game.

I think that within a year or two Lebron James will be considered the best in the league. The guy is unbelievably skilled, but he needs time to mature into a leader and a winner.

johnnybeef 12-28-2005 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and if you were being sarcastic, I think you need to reevaluate what "success" is. 22-3 what what!

[/ QUOTE ]

22-3 is good, but I like 25-21 much much better.