Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   math question...need help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379281)

lotus776 11-15-2005 11:24 PM

math question...need help

1000 lockers at WENUMBEREM HS are displayed in one long row and are labeled from 1 to 1000. In addition, 1000 students are lined up in a row at locker number 1. The first student runs and opens every locker. The third student runs through and CHANGES every third locker; that is, if it is open, he closes it; if it is closed, he opens it. The fourth student runs through and CHANGES every fourth locker. This process continues until the 1000th student runs through and changes the 1000th locker.
1) At the end of this process, which numbered lockers are left open?

2) What is the pattern of numbers in (1)? BE VERY SPECIFIC!

3) what is the reasoning for this pattern? EXPLAIN IN DETAIL!

thanks for your help!

daryn 11-15-2005 11:27 PM

Re: math question...need help

wrong forum, man

11-15-2005 11:29 PM

You need the "Do your homework yourself" forum.

BruceZ 11-15-2005 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1000 lockers at WENUMBEREM HS are displayed in one long row and are labeled from 1 to 1000. In addition, 1000 students are lined up in a row at locker number 1. The first student runs and opens every locker. The third student runs through and CHANGES every third locker; that is, if it is open, he closes it; if it is closed, he opens it. The fourth student runs through and CHANGES every fourth locker. This process continues until the 1000th student runs through and changes the 1000th locker.

thanks for your help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the 2nd student do anything?

Isura 11-16-2005 12:05 AM

I solved this problem a long time ago... I don't feel like working it out again.

Try with 2 lockers, 3 lockers, 4 lockers, 10 lockers, etc. Try to find a pattern. It's not that hard if you try enough examples.

Isura 11-16-2005 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks for your help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the 2nd student do anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he does.

lotus776 11-16-2005 02:12 AM

sorry sorry sorry

the second student runs through and closes every second locker

lotus776 11-16-2005 02:17 AM

yeah, thanks for the advice...this isn't homework, it's just a prob out of a book that I have, I try to do one a day

lotus776 11-16-2005 02:18 AM

why is this the wrong forum? This is a math question and I'm in the science, math, philosophy forum...what's the prob?

ThinkQuick 11-16-2005 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why is this the wrong forum? This is a math question and I'm in the science, math, philosophy forum...what's the prob?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You need the "Do your homework yourself" forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's all. s'okay tho